MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think it’s amazing to see hard work and dedication paying off for someone and yes, she does seem more mature now. Thank god really- she’s a married woman, pretty much finished university with a whole tonne of life experience behind her.

However, I take issue with the comments her and coach made in the Peacock documentary. There is no need to dredge up stuff from the past. It shows her to be petty and very tacky. Gabby has dealt with an awful lot and does not deserve to be thrown under the bus every time MyKayla needs to vent about her devastation at not being picked for 2016. We all know it was Gabbys bars, ability to sub in anywhere, being reigning world AA silver medalist, won scam that year, and Jesolo, and oh yeah- the she was the reigning Olympic champion who always had it together under guidance of Marta, got her on that team… She wasn’t Ronnie random who stole MyKaylas seat. Yes, MyK performed really well at Trials ‘16 and it was a kick in the teeth to be an alternate- but at least she got to travel and be part of the team. Y’know she was part of the team- it’s been on her bio since! Gabby didn’t pick the team. Just let her live in her blissful retirement, not bothering anyone.

In saying that, I don’t think she’d have said as much in that interview, if she’d known she was definitely going to Tokyo. It must sting not being part of the team but as a person who’s always been out for herself, she can put all of her energy into her performance. No politics à la Marta over who gets to do AA. Just go out, and hopefully all will go well for her.

Last edited:
Neither Skinner or her coach say anything about Douglas in this clip.

Is this the wrong clip? Is there another segment where Skinner actually says something about Douglas?

Yes, they (the coach) says they skipped the person in 4th and go straight to 7th. Name not said- impossible to be anyone else.

Meh, I’m just being pedantic. I’ve really softened towards MyKayla for the most part and considering she did NCAA/hasn’t stopped- it’s fantastic that she’s finally achieved her goal. It’s only when the dreaded 2016 narrative comes up that I get reminded of how petty she was. I wasn’t expecting it on the peacock thing and got mildly irked. Probably because a lot of mykaylas fans are very…… vocal about their opinions regarding 2016 and Grace getting 4th spot.

I mean I can really understand that she was was very disappointed in 2016 to finish 4th in trials and not make the team but it is ridiculous that the whole “she woz robbed” argument is still being used
* Skinner and her supporters gloss over her finishing 10th at nationals and in particular her day2 bb score of 12.05, a total meltdown with 3 falls- we all know how much consistency under pressure mattered to Martha

* Who would have been left off the 2016 team - when you consider Skinner’s strengths and weaknesses she would have been vying for vt/fx which would mean leaving off Simone or Aly. Simone and Laurie were guaranteed places and Aly finished 2nd at Nationals and 3rd at trials so well exceeding Skinners results.

* In 2016 the US was weakest on ub with Aly and Simone on the team. When you look at Gabby the 0.3-0.5 gained by having Skinner on vt was countered by an almost 1 point loss by losing Gabby on ub.

* Skinner’s trials results were held up by vt - the only place where she was top 3. The US was weakest on ub where Skinner placed 12th and then she was 5th place on both bb and fx.

My feeling was in 2016 and still is now that Gabby was likely the right choice, just because of how much she improved and how good she looked in Rio. But it’s interesting to reflect on the possibility that the decision quite likely cost the US a medal. That bronze on vault was very gettable. I can well actually understand an argument that total medals mattered more than filling a hole in a team that were so far ahead of the competition.

It’s very hard to say that it cost the US a medal as Gabby looked in a very strong position to take any medal on UB as she qualified in 3rd for finals with only 0.1 between Madison, Aliya and Gabby.

Of course Gabby messed up UB finals but realistically t was a swap between a possible vt medal and a possible ub medal.

It’s very hard to say that it cost the US a medal as Gabby looked in a very strong position to take any medal on UB as she qualified in 3rd for finals with only 0.1 between Madison, Aliya and Gabby.

Of course Gabby messed up UB finals but realistically t was a swap between a possible vt medal and a possible ub medal.
she would have won bronze on UB if she just hit… it makes me sad that she is the only AA Olympic champ to not have any other individual medals(it also makes me sad that Sloan is the only World AA champ without individual hardware)

Last edited:
Not at the time of selection. Gabby was low 15s then and not looking like a very realistic contender on bars. The improvement between Trials and Rio prelims really was immense. At the time the team was chosen, EF chances was one of the things not in her favour. We had a thread about it! Basically Locklear and Skinner were both one eventers for all practical purposes but did both have more chance of bringing individual hardware home that the US wouldn’t otherwise get. And it did likely cost the US a medal, because what happened in the end is that Gabby didn’t win one.

Which demonstrates the immense talent that Gabby had.
Three weeks from Trials to Rio was a stunning transformation.

It’s a disappointment that she was not fully invested in Rio as she was in London because a fully invested/ work ethic Gabby could have won multiple medals in Rio, including an all around silver, bars medal, and even beam medal.

Unfortunately, just too many distractions during her comeback.

Man, the deterioration of Gabby between 2019 and 2020 really was stunning for someone still in great shape and healthy. Just imagine how she could have looked if she stayed with Chow…

I have less issue with the “Mykayla wuz robbed” narrative than the “Maggie Nichols was targeted for being a whistleblower” narrative from Athlete A.

I don’t agree.
Skinner’s exclusion made sense and we always knew she was a long shot for the team.
Nichols being targeted did make some sense, and a few of her scores were low balled specifically on bars and floor.

That said, Nichols without an Amanar was not going to be selected. Unfortunately Ragan smith and Laurie Hernandez turning senior gave her more competition and she as not able to fully return from injury. The balance beam fall night one did her in as well as the fact that she didn’t place top 3 on any event. Skinner was 2nd vault, Locklear 2nd bars, Smith 2nd beam were all named alternates for those events specificaly.

Last edited:
I mean… I fail to see the difference in what I suggested. Maybe you’re trying to come at it from a different angle of Maggie having low-balled scores (meh?), but Maggie was not making that team period because she wasn’t back to 2015 form. Mykayla either. But I found the narrative construed by Athlete A completely dishonest. Coming fourth and not making the team is a legitimate complaint despite it not making sense from a team coordinator standpoint, especially in the context of her not making the team this year because she didn’t place 4th.

Last edited:
Did you not watch the clip? They literally mention the person who came 7th (i.e. Douglas)
Yes I watched the clip. “They” didn’t mention the person who came in 7th, her coach did. Skinner didn’t say anything about 7th or Douglas. The coach didn’t even say anything about Douglas other than the 7th place finisher was put on the Olympic team. That’s literally just stating what happened. The person who finished 4th was not on the Olympic team, the person who finished 7th was. He doesn’t say anything else about it. The way he phrased his sentence sounds like he was directly asked what happened, so he answered.

Skinner doesn’t even say anything in the clip about who is on the team. Her exact line is “I finished fourth. Who are they going to take?” Those are the only words she says.

But dco1987 says: “However, I take issue with the comments her and coach made in the Peacock documentary. There is no need to dredge up stuff from the past. It shows her to be petty and very tacky.”

So what exactly did MyKayla Skinner specifically say in this peacock thing about Gabby Douglas that makes Skinner petty and very tacky, is my question. Is that in some other clip? Because Skinner didn’t say anything about Douglas in this one. I didn’t watch this documentary, all I’ve seen is this clip.

Also how is this Skinner dredging up the past? She didn’t produce this film, NBC did. They have their own narrative and questions they ask to drive it.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.07.03 PM

The trolling is A+++

LOL

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back