Kara Eaker, from University of Utah to ?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If Kara had written this straight from elite, with the coach she had, it would still be incredibly awful but unsurprising. But NCAA gymnastics is largely considered to be the anti-elite in terms of environment, at least it was during Marta’s reign. So it just seems more egregious when the selling point is this more positive less stressful experience in the sport.

Absolutely heartbreaking to read. I hope she gets the help and support she needs to recover and move on. And that this has Utah reconsidering Farden’s investigation results.

If Kara had written this straight from elite, with the coach she had, it would still be incredibly awful but unsurprising. But NCAA gymnastics is largely considered to be the anti-elite in terms of environment, at least it was during Marta’s reign. So it just seems more egregious when the selling point is this more positive less stressful experience in the sport.
NCAA just seems so fake to me sometimes. It’s not all the time or every team, but I would be afraid of choosing the wrong one (because people can be manipulative), which is why even if I was good enough, I don’t think NCAA would be for me and I say that as someone who wanted to do club gymnastics in college (I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to the sport) before my knee injury senior year of high school. I feel sick about Kara.

Last edited:
Good for Kara for coming forward with this. It had to be frustrating for her watching Utah try to sweep that report under the rug, and hopefully by talking about her experiences publicly Utah will actually be forced to do something about Farden this time.

I hope she’s got a good therapist and wish her all the luck in the world.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this does him in.
Sound’s like Kara’s experience was part of the investigation they’ve already cleared him from.

Unless this becomes big enough news, they will probably just sweep it under the rug again.

Looking at her post, a lot of the verbal abuse and shouting happened in one-on-one meetings, so I imagine her teammates didn’t see a lot of it. Not excusing those who haven’t taken it seriously, but I imagine they didn’t know about a lot of it.

This is a gymnast who trained under Al Fong and via the developmental program I think Valeri Liukin, both coaches who don’t have the most stellar reputations. The fact that Farden is coming out looking much worse is telling.

Looking at her post, a lot of the verbal abuse and shouting happened in one-on-one meetings, so I imagine her teammates didn’t see a lot of it. Not excusing those who haven’t taken it seriously, but I imagine they didn’t know about a lot of it.

This is a gymnast who trained under Al Fong and via the developmental program I think Valeri Liukin, both coaches who don’t have the most stellar reputations. The fact that Farden is coming out looking much worse is telling.
I understand they probably haven’t seen it all, but Kara specifically talks about being humiliated, yelled at, etc, to the point of tears, in front of the whole team.

I wonder if something happened once the school year started that made the situation to much too bear. I applaud Kara for making the decision that is right for her regardless of the timing, but I would have thought if she entered the transfer portal she would have had teams throwing themselves at her to switch schools.

It sounds like she is broken right now both emotionally and physically. Probably just needs to take a break from college and gymnastics. Maybe she will come back since she would have one year left aftet this season, but I doubt it.

It sounds like she is broken right now both emotionally and physically. Probably just needs to take a break from college and gymnastics. Maybe she will come back since she would have one year left aftet this season, but I doubt it.
She mentioned being unable to care for herself properly at the moment, so yeah, probably not the right time to be dealing with transfers, a move, and a university course load.

2 days since Eakers post. Still no comment from Utah. Their Twitter consists of 90% “fire Tom Harden” comments. They have limited commenting on their Instagram and tik tok. Even if decency doesn’t cause them to act I think economics will. Their brand can’t take this. I genuinely hope Kara can find peace in knowing she will make college gymnastics a better place for those who follow her.

I don’t expect that Utah actually will say anything. Other than that Tom Farden has decided to step down for… some made up reason. They must know that anything they say is going to be scoffed at anyway.

I don’t expect that Utah actually will say anything. Other than that Tom Farden has decided to step down for… some made up reason. They must know that anything they say is going to be scoffed at anyway.
Yeah, it’s not something they can give an immediate response to. Especially over a weekend. Whatever their course of action, it’s going to involve consulting their lawyers and if they do decide to force Tom to stand down/fire him they need to have a plan in place to minimise disruption to the athletes.

Reactions: Bob
Look at this situation removing emotion from the equation, you have an individual who is no longer affiliated with an institution who is voicing their opinion. This individual was part of an investigation and provided all the information that she is now publicly sharing. The investigation found no significant issues that would merit immediate dismissal of Farden. That is not to minimize Kara’s emotions or how she genuinely feels about what happened to her. But unless she is bringing new evidence that was previously not disclosed, the university already knows all this stuff. Will this spur some massive public effort to demand Farden’s removal? I doubt it. Unless major donors start backing out, or recruits stop coming, why would the University change its course? There is a war in Ukraine and the Middle East, in a week this story will begin its slow march to the trunks of our collective memory. Kara should file a civil suit against the University, she would at least probably get some hush money.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back