Hurd criticises uploading of Nguyen’s vault

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I utterly love you for this. Genius post. I’ve wanted Barry’s take on 2006- gymnastics so often.

Last edited:
Am I remembering correctly but wasn’t it Morgan Hurd who had a secret Insta chat/group where she was very critical of certain members of the US team and forced USAG to implement a social media policy?
Some gymnasts have both a public facing Instagram account and a private account just for friends/family. On Morgan’s private friends-only account, she posted a picture of herself and Alyona Shchennikova sitting in a car together. The caption said something like ‘bitch not everything is about you, we are here too.’ Someone took a screen shot of that post and sent it to Simone.

Simone dragged the drama to twitter and everyone spent the 2018 US Classic being pissy at each other. They were all friends again two weeks later at Nationals. That’s it.

ETA: Actually I still have the screen shot uploaded in my Imgur account from the last time this came up.

1VfllfG.png

There’s always going to be some kind of drama. Laugh, enjoy it or get pissy, there will be some no matter what.

Meh. I get that it wasn’t a very tactful thing to post on IG, but wasn’t Morgan like 17-years-old at the time?

Last edited:
lol at this thread. Obviously Hurd was nasty about Biles in the past and they both fell out, but it’s possible for people to put aside their differences. They spent a lot of time together afterwards and all of their interactions suggested that they ended up getting on well both on the US team and the tour. That doesn’t mean that they’re actual friends and of course they could still secretly dislike each other, but gymnasts usually seem to be terrible at hiding cliques and rifts.

On the actual subject, I don’t think some people understand that this is an actual sport and negative things should be shown. Frankly, airbrushing out bad falls (when nobody is seriously hurt) does the gymnasts a disservice as people need to understand how dangerous it can be.

Last edited:
Young females behaving like young females.

The difference being that Simone is just about tolerable and Morgan is massively annoying

Reactions: Bob
Wow this thread. The ironies. It seems to me there is a lot of pent up “hate” on Morgan with some folks. I get it, she is probably one of those athletes that people either find completely adorable or utterly annoying. Its funny to see people get so bent because she got bent because someone posted something about her friend and complain about the outrage, but yet they are just as outraged. lol.
Still mention Livvy being inappropriate and get immediately attacked as a sexist **** shamer. Hmmm one white, beautiful, rich woman the other Asian, bookworm wearing glasses…

Or another way of looking at it, is that one gymnast was an adult, and the other one wasn’t.

Last edited:
Agreed! Being an adult is taking a principled stand based upon your beliefs knowing you are potentially exposing yourself to criticism versus “whoring yourself out” to make the most money.

Some of us are normal. I’d never post anything like that. Granted most of my generation is addicted to screens so I guess there’s that too

Or another way of looking at it, is that one gymnast was an adult, and the other one wasn’t.
I mean, there was a 4 year difference between them. But at the risk of sounding childish - who started it?

You cannot absolve the blame of one side just because they were 300 days away from being an adult.

Absolutely. Also the context of the relationship matters. This was not a child-adult relationship.

Sure, Simone probably could have responded in a more mature way but it’s not like any of us ceased making snarky passive aggressive responses when we turned 18… @MissBlaineWilson

Absolutely. Also the context of the relationship matters. This was not a child-adult relationship.
I sort of see what you are saying — they were in a peer group and only 4 years apart.

I think that we sometimes view the age of 18 as a boundary, but maturity doesn’t flip a switch on one’s 18th birthday. Age, and the tact that comes with it are more like part of a continuous scale.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back