Hurd criticises uploading of Nguyen’s vault

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I don’t doubt that Hurd is an overzealous social justice warrior. But I’m not sure how posting videos of gymnastics routines that involve a mistake is a social justice issue.
It’s the idea that she must have an opinion, make it known, and be demanding.

This is why I can’t with Generation Z-ers
My son is 17 and he and his peers can be a bit much at times, but the family member I mentioned up thread is in her 50’s. Years ago I decided it was a control issue with her. We all had to walk on eggshells and dance to her tune to keep the peace. We now just ignore her ranting. She storms off in a huff, but always comes back :cry: Not sure what her damage is.

Am I remembering correctly but wasn’t it Morgan Hurd who had a secret Insta chat/group where she was very critical of certain members of the US team and forced USAG to implement a social media policy?

Yes, she talked some smack about Simone’s comeback.
Then they became friends.

Hmmm. No. A show of friendship.

Simone and Mr Simone went for dinner after every competition in 2021 with Mykayla and Mr Mykayla (have no idea what these guys are called). I don’t think anyone that has a friendship group so diverse that it stretches from Morgan Hurd to Mykayla Skinner

Yeah. There was a bit of a clique war between Morgan and friends (think they are artists, perpetually injured) and Simone and friends (can actually land E passes on a regular basis)

That’s work. I’m not suggesting they hate each other or cannot be in the same room. But they are clearly not friends.

What do you suggest that we “contribute positively” to?

Last edited:
Morgan did a whole *ss tour with Simone. Please, people, I beg you to find something positive to contribute to. This thread isn’t it.
That doesn’t negate the fact that Morgan did make snide comments about Simone.
Obviously they also made up as they ended up being World teammates.

That said, just because Hurd did Simone’s tour doesn’t mean anything. Hurd was a 5x World medalist/2x World Champion, the only other individual World gold medalist besides Simone that quad.
For marketing purposes it made clear sense to include Hurd as part of the program.

100%.

I hate the this notion that all female gymnasts must be friends because they spend time together. Are you friends with all your colleagues?!

Simone is an adult. Including Morgan on the tour is a good business decision

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 3.56.46 PM

Simone strikes me as someone that would forgive but would not forget.

What I don’t understand is why Morgan was so pissed. Simone was always coming back, it wasn’t a surprise

What I don’t understand is why Morgan was so pissed. Simone was always coming back, it wasn’t a surprise
IIRC, Simone’s picture was used to promote a 2018 meet… I think US Classic and Hurd was upset she was not used as she was the reigning World AA champion and Simone hadn’t competed since Rio.
I don’t recall exactly was posted by Hurd but it was something along the lines of “bitch it isnt always ab you”. I think it was sent to Locklear, Carey, and a few others. IIRC, Jade Carey is the one who screenshot it and sent it to Simone, which is how Simone found out about it. Simone had the actual receipts in hand.

I believe congratulations are in order. You’ve managed to get @Doug1233 and I to both downvote the same post.

Also, cleared up half a decade ago? Um have you met the Gymternet? We still argue about Shushunova v Silivas

Last edited:
I’d love to hear Barry Davies commentating on Simone v Morgan. He always used to bring everything back to 1988, if he were still doing it now maybe he’d be like shades of the social media drama at the 2018 US Classic. I don’t feel able to decide which is more gymnastically significant without his take.

At the time I assumed it was jealousy. Which was understandable, if not admirable.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back