How NIL has transformed gymnastics for Olympians, NCAA and beyond

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Now she’s “an inspiration”…

Reactions: JDB
I’m sorry, one can believe what they want to believe, but using one’s sexuality is not liberating for females, it just feeds the misogyny. Sure great that she can use it for her benefit, but dont try and paint her as some great liberator role model for strong women.

I have to say I honestly agree that it’s not “inspiring” to me. She has every right to do what she wants with her media and her body, and maybe the ability to succeed financially in a less-followed sport, maybe that part could be inspiring. But the SI swimsuit edition always feels gratuitous at best.

She’s inspiring other women to get rich, leveraging one of the tools of power that women have long held at their disposal (in societies which have often denied, say, political or professional power): their sexuality and desirability. I think it’s as simple as that. Choose not to be inspired, but is hers not the American dream? On the one hand we are the capitalist hub of the world, but on the other hand being honest about that ambition is somehow seen as salacious or impure.

Last edited:
I dont think its salacious or impure, At least for me personally. I just wish everyone could agree with exactly what you are saying. She is using her sexuality to advance her interests. Following that thread, using sexuality to “sell” comes with costs. The leering, the crude remarks, the frat bro culture, etc. So yes, she does have some responsibility when people act like idiots and creeps because she is feeding the same culture that breeds this behavior (to her benefit of course). She is no moral character role model.

Sure - but I think I’m saying something more nuanced than this. In the cruel harsh reality of our world, yes, I think it would be naive to be surprised by all the things you mentioned, and yet I also think it’s appropriate to strive toward a world where those types of things aren’t tolerated, or at least, aren’t beyond reproach.

I look at this from the perspective of a gay men who takes in all kinds of suggestive Instagram content from entertainers, athletes, influencers etc. Imagery that provokes the imagination, to say the least. And yet I can’t fathom a world in which I would show up and engage with these guys in real life by haranguing them or demanding their attention in some outlandish way – and obviously, the salient difference at play is the gender dynamic: the people I find visually appealing are men, and, significantly, I would like to not get my face bashed in. That kind of fear isn’t present when a frat bro shows up to harass a woman. And that’s the parallel I see when I hear women saying they say they want some modicum of consideration as human beings, and that doesn’t fly out the window because they “used their sexuality to advance their interests” – it doesn’t mean they are now worthless, inhuman objects subject to all kinds of public tomfoolery. To me this is not a complicated duality to hold in my mind but a lot of people seem to find it mind blowing or paradoxical. I don’t think it’s an impossibly optimistic goal to aspire to.

Here here! I agree, we should be striving for a society in which everyone is treated with the respect and dignity that they deserve as a fellow human being, regardless of their sexual orientation or how they choose to make a living. I think sex workers should not be stigmatized and allowed to play a contributing role in society. They should not be fired from their day jobs because they have an Only Fans account at night. I totally agree with you 2000 percent, women and men should EXPECT that.

Its not a complicated duality to hold. But at the same time there are folks at both end of the spectrum that find it mind blowing or paradoxical.

I mostly just find the characterization of Dunne as an inspiration to female athletes to be very weird. I guess there’s something to be said for having a life and income and identity outside sports, and also something to be said for being young, hot, rich, and… always injured but still doing the work to be a D1 athlete.

But I find it strange to think female athletes should find it inspiring that someone is a non-sports influencer and physically falling apart at, what, 20?

Yeah, I’m specifically referring to SI calling her an inspiration to female athletes.

I guess she is. If you’re a young female athlete who is reasonably attractive, she’s a huge inspiration in how you can make serious bank whilst getting a free college education, without making it to the top of your sport. She has a level fame and fortune that was previously only attainable in gymnastics by Olympic gold medalists, who until very recently, were having to forfeit their NCAA eligibility to do so.

For gymnastics she’s a first, but she’s set a parallel goal for young gymnasts

Ask any gymnast who they’d most want to be and I guarantee that Livvy Dunne is 2nd only to Simone Biles.

Whether something or someone is inspiring depends on what you personally value. She leveraged what she has but I don’t find it particularly inspiring. Lots of women have done the same thing in various ways. Unless you want to shame her for how she did it then you can call Verona Van der Leur inspiring. Or Florea Leonida. They are also making bank, maybe on a smaller scale. Make money. I just don’t find it particularly inspiring where inspiring means motivating someone to do the same or to create something.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s comparable at all. Social media stuff is mainstream and socially acceptable. Completely different to the adult film or sex industry.

You only need to look at all the blue chip, family oriented brands that use social media influencers to promote their products and services

When you strip it down to basics it’s another way to make money using whatever you can about yourself that’s marketable. I don’t care if it’s sm photos or sex. What I find inspiring is an athlete who pushes physical boundaries, achieves near-perfection in a mental or physical accomplishment or institutes something never done before. I won’t list everything that inspires me but it isn’t her money or Dunne’s tush.

Last edited:
Some of the platitudes in the article are just not true:
“I want to show young girls that you can have it all, and you don’t need to choose between whatever it is you’re passionate about,” she acknowledges. “You can be passionate about music, art. You don’t need to pick and choose. You can do it all and be successful. I think you need to set your own expectations for success and dream big.”
You always have to make choices in life and often times that means giving up on something. Many girls can’t “have it all” because their families just don’t have the money to give them those opportunities.

Yeah, the “have it all” mentality leads to serious burnout mainly for women who are told they can be CEO and a perfect mother. There might be some outliers who can do that, but in general, life is about choices and compromises. Thousands of people with lovely voices never make it in music and dozens with voices that are shit without autotune make it big because they have a marketable face/butt/parent in the business.

What riles me is that she doesn’t own it. She makes her money from having a nice face and a nice arse. That’s fine, no problem. But she insists she is making her money because she is a sports person. She isn’t. And because she won’t own it I think that makes her a terrible role model. If young women look at her content but then read and believe her narrative they will confuse what it takes to be a successful sportswoman. I don’t want young women to be inspired to put photos of their arse on social media because that is somehow connected to being in sport. It isn’t. I want them to choose to put photos of their arse on social media because it can make them lots of money. The two things are and should be kept very separate. And let’s face it she was a completely underwhelming elite athlete. Constantly injured and that seems to have continued into her college career.

It is the same in that both adult film performers and influencers like her use their sexuality (not all influencers use their sexuality to be clear) for monetary gain. How do you think she has 1 million+ followers? Because of her athletic exploits? No because she makes posts in slinky clothes and suggestive poses. The only reason why companies sponsor influencers like her versus adult film performers is exactly my point, there should not be a stigma associated with it. Isn’t that what so many defenders of Liv are positing? Just like if she wants to act sexy, show skin, she should not be treated like a “worthless, inhuman object”.

I know in my gym orbit, Liv is not a role model for the gymnasts in the gym. She is at best an eye roll curiosity. The older elite and high L10s view her with a tinge of ridicule because she doesnt do gymnastics that they are so passionate about. I definitely know the littles in the gym know nothing about her because the parents dont let them follow her.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back