NCAA settlement a historic day for paying college athletes. What comes next?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just don't understand how this is fair to everyone else who does an extracurricular activity in college. There's such an overvalue on college athletes, just because they get the most media coverage. Are cheerleaders considered under this? What about the band and dance team members who perform at games and meets? And I feel like this could just raise the price for going to college in general.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how this is fair to everyone else who does an extracurricular activity in college. There's such an overvalue on college athletes, just because they get the most media coverage. Are cheerleaders considered under this? What about the band and dance team members who perform at games and meets? And I feel like this could just raise the price for going to college in general.
All good points. My main concern at this point is that this settlement will be to the detriment of everyone but NCAA Division I football and basketball players. NCAA is funding retroactive payments in part by lowering distributions to all NCAA sports including those who do not benefit from this. Gymnastics, not being a big money maker, will be on the losing end of this. I have thought from the start that this was a really really bad idea and will be very disruptive. Its the end of college sports as we knew it.

Last edited:
All good points. My main concern at this point is that this settlement will be to the detriment of everyone but NCAA Division I football and basketball players. NCAA is funding retroactive payments in part by lowering distributions to all NCAA sports including those who do not benefit from this. Gymnastics, not being a big money maker, will be on the losing end of this. I have thought from the start that this was a really really bad idea and will be very disruptive. Its the end of college sports as we knew it.
What I also don't understand is why don't football and men's basketball have a minor league like baseball? I'm terrified for Olympic sports at this rate because club isn't free while NCAA has been if you're a scholarship athlete.

Whenever I read an article speculating AI will replace my profession, I'm going to return to this thread.

Does anyone want to discuss the NCAA settlement and the new revenue sharing rules for Division 1 Teams?

I don't, but I have to. This could be the beginning of the end for men's NCAA gymnastics. At least we have a beachhead with GymACT.

Time will tell.
What I also don't understand is why don't football and men's basketball have a minor league like baseball? I'm terrified for Olympic sports at this rate because club isn't free while NCAA has been if you're a scholarship athlete.
Why should they? They are getting a free farm system from the NCAA. It probably just worked out that way because college basketball and football were established long before (and in a different century) than their pro analogs.

The NCAA and the Big Time sports schools are also in no hurry to give up football or men's basketball.

When it comes to college sports, the choice between everything else and football is always football.

I don't, but I have to. This could be the beginning of the end for men's NCAA gymnastics. At least we have a beachhead with GymACT.

Time will tell.
I think for sure it is the beginning of the end for all the non revenue college sports. (I actually also think there will be extremely detrimental aspects of this for Football and mens and women's basketball but that will be slower and less obvious).

Honestly, I wonder whether, at this point, with money involved the way it is now, sports should be separated from school — college and high school both.

Honestly, I wonder whether, at this point, with money involved the way it is now, sports should be separated from school — college and high school both.
At least, for Illinois, I think this would be detrimental to athletes who would not be happy doing club sports. If club was my only option, I would have quit after middle school. There would have been no place for me being a gymnast turning 15 years old somewhere between a level 4 (bars and vault) and 6 (floor). There wasn't an Xcel option at the time, though.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong, though, at least for college.

I think it's extremely stupid that college is just going to become a place for football and basketball athletes. It's very wtf. I'm honestly really pissed off about this whole thing. I'm considering not watching college basketball or football next year. I know I'm just one person, but if it's going to be this way.

Last edited:
From cbs sports

Loser: Non-revenue sports​

The fate of non-revenue sports (which at most schools means everything besides football and men's basketball) will hang in the balance as athletic administrators grapple with the financial ramifications of the settlement. In addition to potential measures such as staff cuts and delayed facilities upgrades, non-revenue sports could be on the chopping block. That's especially true for departments already struggling with financial solvency. With hits coming to their NCAA distributions and pressure rising to pay players in high-profile sports, don't be surprised to see lower-tier Division I departments axe some of their financially inefficient programs for the sake of making ends meet.

As a die-hard lover of men's NCAA gymnastics (the greatest sport of all time).... I agree with this (at least for college).

The purpose of educational institutions is to educate people. No other country has a system of intercollegiate sports on the level that the U.S. does. If club sports are fine for people going to Oxford, it should be fine for people going to University of Oklahoma.

Japan has intercollegiate sports at a high level, but to the best of my knowledge, those teams are part of sports science universities where the main purpose is to educate future sports scientists.

Higher education in the US is expensive. Is it fair to ask people who have no interest in any sport to foot some of that bill? I don't think so.

Football and men's basketball at the Big Time college sports level are essentially professional sports. I say get rid of those, too. That isn't going to happen in our lifetimes, but it should.

Sometimes if you want something, you have to pay for it. I've given plenty of $$ to men's NCAA gymnastics teams and organizations. I've also supported GymACT and if (when) the time comes, I will shift all my support to them.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back