How do the individual Olympic team spots work?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Luciana Alvarado of Costa Rica actually placed 104th so she would get one of the spots from the Americas.

New Zealand did not get a spot at Worlds.
Courtney McGregor was hoping to do so and likely would have but had a disaster of a day to place 102nd. Her teammate Maia Fishwick finished in 100th place less than .1 ahead of McGregor.
So in this scenario, Fishwick would get a spot for Oceania.

That said I don’t think these athletes would get it because continentals was always open to all countries, even in the top 12. The new criteria states if continentals can’t happen, it gets reallocated to non top 12 teams.

I have these gymnasts going:
AUS- Emma Nedov
UKR- Anastaciia Bachnskya
SUI- Illaria Kaeslin
BRA- Thais Fidelis
ARG- Abigail Magistrati
RSA- Nadie Daires
EGY- Farah Salem
KOR- Eom Dohyun
PRK- An Chang Ok

Yes I think this is right, “max 1 per NOC” only refers the spots countries earn through Continentals. Whether NOCs have one (or multiple) spots via AA/EF at Worlds is irrelevant.

Word on the street is that USA is not sending a WAG team to Pan Ams. It is not on the elite calendar, and supposedly Pan Am directly conflicts with Nationals, though I haven’t seen an official date.

Despite the harrowing COVID situation in Brazil, I expect them to do everything to host a Championship given it’s one of their gymnasts missing out if they don’t.

Yeah it doesn’t make sense for USAG to send any athletes to Pan Ams since USA has the +2 already.

Ah thank you, I completely missed New Zealand not qualifying anyone. McGregor was on my mental list of people you just assume made it.

Yeah and that was part of the reason she ended up retiring is because she didn’t make the Olympics and had to compete at Oceania Championships in order to win a spot but had that achilles rupture right before the 2020 NCAA season.

She could have red-shirted to compete at Boise St. this year but the pandemic was uncertain at the time and also she would have to either start a masters degree or take additional non-necessary undergrad classes.

Word on the street is that USA is not sending a WAG team to Pan Ams. It is not on the elite calendar, and supposedly Pan Am directly conflicts with Nationals, though I haven’t seen an official date.
It was on the calendar last week. It it scheduled immediately preceding Trials. July 18-20, with Trials July 22-28.

That’s Jr Pan Ams (June 18-20) in Mexico. The senior Pan Ams are in Brazil, and are not on the calendar.

Lol, I never saw the “junior” just to the left of the shaded dates. My brain completely ignored it about a hundred times.

Reactions: MRR
They have the +2 already provided that Jade doesn’t come 2nd AA at Nationals. Then there’s a huuuuge can of worms opened up…

She can be 2nd at Nationals, O Trials is another matter.

They will be fine. All they have to do at Nationals is score Jade appropriately on UB and BB and if the others hit she won’t be top 8 AA. Only the top 8 at Nationals are guaranteed an Olympic Trials berth. I don’t see Carey getting into the top 8 unless multiple athletes go splat at Nationals. Carey was 7th in 2019 with many athletes counting falls.

Biles, S Lee, McCallum, McCusker, Wong, Eaker, Hurd, DiCello, McClain, Blakely, Chiles should all rank above Carey in the AA if all goes according to plan. Even if three of the above do not beat her, Carey still is out of the top 8. Not to mention Skinner and Jones could also place above Carey.

If that is the case and Carey doesn’t place in the top 8 AA at Nationals USAG does not have to invite Carey to Trials per criteria. They could invite her to compete as exhibition, considering that she already qualified to the Olympics and Trials would be another competition under pressure to display her sets.

Even if Carey makes it to Trials she has to beat everyone there (other than Biles- no one is beating her) in order to clinch a spot on the 4 person team. That will never happen. Even at Winter Cup with Chiles going 4 for 4 and even over scored, Carey couldn’t catch her in the AA. She would have needed a 15+ score on FX to pass Chiles and we know Carey would max out at a 14.3ish on FX.

There is no way that Carey can place 2nd AA at Olympic Trials on her own. This doesn’t even account for USAG blackballing Carey at Trials to ensure she isn’t top 2, which they have done in the past, even if it was Martha in control and even though Tom has no idea what he is doing.

I still don’t understand why USAG didn’t keep the “only the winner of Olympic Trials is only guaranteed to the Olympics” given that they used this in 2012 and 2016.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back