Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well given that she has accused this year's Olympians of having a poor work ethic - that is Simone, Suni, Jade, and Jordan who also competed with her at the last Olympics ... I guess it is not surprising.

I also think that under the Karolyi regime people looked fantastic at trials but were often injured or overtrained by the actual competition - 2000, 2004 and 2008
The scared-shitless approach to employment or team-building is a horrible way to run an organization. I worked for five years in the infusion pharmacy of a NCI designated cancer hospital. That place could have been brutal. The stress of prepping drugs that were worth a million dollars a dose, the sadness that some of our patients wouldn't make it--it was rough at times.

BUT our management was very shrewd in that they encouraged us to act silly and let loose when we could. It kept people engaged and just, SANE in a situation that could have been really depressing and stressful. Nobody could say that we didn't care about our work or our patients, that we were lax about our sanitation standards or aseptic technique. We knew when we had to focus and when we could let loose a bit. It was like the release valve on a pressure cooker.

So, God forbid these young ladies have some fun while practicing and competing. It's certainly shouldn't be an indictment on how seriously they take the challenge they've opted into.

What a stupid thing for MS to say--though considering the environment she competed in, completely understandable.

So now she has unresolved trauma?
That much seems obvious.

But unfortunately, this is one in a line of gymnasts who've obviously been treated badly in an abusive programme then going on to say something awful, that could be really harmful in it own right. Wouldn't it be wonderful to think it might be the last.

Anybody else feel like you can’t trust the apology? Gotta admit I was enjoying seeing Mean Girl brought down and this apology came long after blaming her listeners for not understanding HER. Now this carefully worded statement.

Of course she has unresolved trauma and is probably also using it as an excuse. She saw that she read the room wrong through the backlash. Maybe this can still lead to growth.

Anybody else feel like you can’t trust the apology? Gotta admit I was enjoying seeing Mean Girl brought down and this apology came long after blaming her listeners for not understanding HER. Now this carefully worded statement.

Of course she has unresolved trauma and is probably also using it as an excuse. She saw that she read the room wrong through the backlash. Maybe this can still lead to growth.
Probably had a meeting with a PR rep to craft something better than the “Sorry if you were offended” apology because now she has to scrabble to keep whatever respect the elite gymnastics community has left for her. And the outer world has been pulling up videos of her gymnastics and track record saying, "No, your gymnastics wasn't anywhere near good enough to be saying anything." The bubble she's been in has been taking quite the beating.

A note on the unresolved trauma thing -

I have diagnosed PTSD and a myriad of other issues from trauma. I would NEVER say anything like this about anyone, not even my abusers. I would not say this of the girls at my abusive gym or about my abusive father. This is just inexcusable behavior.

Would this apology happened if Skinner didn't literally get cancelled on social media. All of the Olympians unfollowed her on Twitter and Instagram according to Reddit. Multiple other gymnasts did the same. Morgan Hurd, Riley McCusker, Norah Flatly, Jordan Wieber.
KJC essentially called her a turd, mean and petty. Moceanu spoke out against the Karolyis and Skinner's statements. Shawn Johnson took the time to speak out in support of the 2024 Paris team. Not to mention all the fans who criticized her.

I am glad she apologized, but I sincerely doubt she would have if there was not a hurricane of backlash she received.
Actions speak louder than words, let us all see if she learns from this or what.

Triple!
Wow wow wow! I'm literally the same age as Ivankov. I need to stop slacking off! LOL
My knees buckled on my one annual dive at our 4th of July day at our pool and I worked my kids swim meet today. I’m 38 and I can barely walk because my quads and hamstrings hurt so bad!

1) There is no way MyKayla wrote that apology. Obviously it was written by a PR rep. MyKayla’s apologies have never been “I’m sorry that…” it’s always “I’m sorry if…”
2) An apology, when you make yourself out to be the victim, is not an apology. It’s an excuse.
3) She probably does have trauma. Which is a good reason to seek treatment instead of pressing the record button on her phone.

Last edited:
MyKfaila
1720322673454.png

that doesn't look safe especially since she is held together by tape

She doesn't appear to have any tape on her in the video.

Throughout this quad the most tape she's competed with is a thin band around her ankle. She hasn't had an injury since the summer of 2019 - five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back