FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Now that “lack of expressiveness” is a 1 or 3 deduction on floor - I wonder whether we will see more expressiveness. I’ve noticed, ever since Simone popularised it with the “oooh!” facial expression that coincided with the “oooh” sound effect - we will see more of it to try and tick this box, from the gymnasts who can’t rely on traditional “ballet” expressiveness.

Last edited:
  • Upper body posture throughout
  • Amplitude and elongation throughout
  • Amplitude of leg swings/kicks
  • Feet not pointed
  • Lack of releve
  • Lack of involvement of all body parts
  • Lack of variation in tempo
  • Disconnected elements (trick, stop, trick, stop)
  • Non-A mount
  • Lack of complex sideways movement
  • Lack of combination of close to beam movement
  • More than 1 turn on 2 feet with straight legs
I think I like this change, and it’s sensible, but does the Code provide a threshold for some of these? E.g. lack of releve - presumably the whole exercise need not be in releve, but similarly a gymnast should not receive credit for a few seconds on their tiptoes just to tick the box. Likewise with the carriage and pointed toes requirements - how much leeway is there? What about toes pointed during skills (lots of gymnasts don’t)?

Also, why is a non-A mount an artistry deduction?

Disconnected elements is going to hurt the Chinese gymnasts, that’s an extra tenth off plus a tenth every time, no?

hey these are pretty good! I mean it´s preposterous that one judge is supposed to judge all of this PLUS the whole routine, but hey I guess a start is a start

I think I like this change, and it’s sensible, but does the Code provide a threshold for some of these? E.g. lack of releve - presumably the whole exercise need not be in releve, but similarly a gymnast should not receive credit for a few seconds on their tiptoes just to tick the box. Likewise with the carriage and pointed toes requirements - how much leeway is there? What about toes pointed during skills (lots of gymnasts don’t)?
I don’t think it is an objective test. The judge has to make a decision at the end of the exercise re: each part.

Personally, I would prefer to see these presented as bonuses rather than deductions. Taking an example like Skinner, I feel like a judge would be more likely to not give the bonus for “good upper body posture”, than to take a deduction for “lack of upper body posture”.
Also, why is a non-A mount an artistry deduction?
They have re-styled “Artistry” deductions as “Artistry & Composition Deductions”. Just to clarify, when I said “non-A” mount, I mean a mount that’s not in the TOE.
Disconnected elements is going to hurt the Chinese gymnasts, that’s an extra tenth off plus a tenth every time, no?
A tenth off at the end, and a tenth each time there’s either a 2 second pause or an “adjustment”/unnecessary step or arm wave.

about 10 years ago, the WWGym community developed a 10-item artistry list for beam and for floor.

The judge’s job was to rate each item 0, 1, or 2, for a total of 2.0 in artistry.

We tested it out and it worked really well. It rated the routines that people felt were artistic at or near 2.0. It rated poor ones below 1, with a few extreme cases in the 0 to 0.5 range.

Last edited:
round off layout step out mount + back handspring +layout to two feet

E + B + E, 1.2 DV (E x 2, B X 1), 0.2 CV (B + E x 2), 0.1 SB

0.3 is really too little connection value for this, isn’t it? This should be almost .5

That’s sufficiently stretched to me, obviously seeing it at an angle. But I almost wonder if you’re seeing the contour of her quad muscles instead of pike.

Fair. I don’t have the tech to pause those as well as others and the blur threw me.

I agree with what you said in Winter Cup-- it’s a freaking dumb rule. At least make a 10-degree or less one stretched by definition, as that is barely more than dished.

As cRaZy as it sounds, I think per the rules this should get Pike credit (if the rule is still "is there any pike in the hips at 45 degrees before landing?)
The criteria is now if stretched through 30 degrees from vertical, then layout credit will be awarded. Note that this does not mean absolutely no pike or bend in the hips. Since it can often be difficult to see the exact degrees in real time, my guess is that in practice, judges are looking to see whether or not the layout position is held past vertical. Unless, a severe or obvious pike is shown, then layout will be given. See below for examples of Saravia and Lee from 2019 Worlds. Both have some pike in the hips at 45 degrees, but you can see why Saravia’s got called a layout while Lee’s was downgraded to a pike.

Unless, a severe or obvious pike is shown, then layout will be given.
On that basis, the video above should definitely be given.

Has the “no piking at all” language been deleted yet?

I think the whole concept it kind of an interesting idea. Oddly enough, girls gymnastics has a similar system in place for all events except for vault. Like, for beam, there is literally a checklist of possible artistry and composition deductions that can be applied: lack of movement forward, sideways, and backwards; more than two two foot pivot turns; lack of balance between tumbling and dance skills; artistry.

Now, to be fair, judges rarely take artistry deductions for high school gymnasts and tend to only take composition deductions that are cut and dry. There’s one for acro variety that states that one acro skill must go backwards and another acro skill must be either a forward or sideways skill. The skill range is so wide in high school, so there are some gymnasts who just can’t do any backwards tumbling skills, and they just take the .1 deduction.

So, I guess it’s kind of odd to think about how such a system might work with high level gymnastics. Will judges actually take these deductions? Or will they only take the ones that are extremely obvious?

I miss the leap passes from the 80/90s. Anyone know why we transitioned from what Boginskaya does at 0:42 to switch ring fulls and tour jete 2 billions? The switch to an open-ended system and the need to do get as much D out of dance elements as possible probably ruled out the odds of passages like Bogi’s coming back, but I get the sense watching the transition from Sydney to Athens that this may have started in earlier quads.

Last edited:
Anyone know why we transitioned from what Boginskaya does at 0:42 to switch ring fulls and tour jete 2 billions?
Open ended COP. The leaps count as part of the difficulty score, so you can’t do A valued leaps because your D score will take a dive.

Reactions: bhs

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back