Chinese Gymnastics Appreciation Thread #1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hello!

Okay, admittedly I’m starting this thread because I need some Help from users who are more familiar with the Chinese team. Aside from the USA and RUS teams, I’m pretty unfamiliar with all of the other countries’ top contenders recently turned senior.

Who are you expecting to make the 4 person team? Chen Yile, Li Shijia, Guan Chenchen, Li Qi, Ou Yushan, and Liu Tingting could all realistically win gold on beam in Tokyo. There’s also Tang Xijing and Qi Qi to add to the mix. I know Fan Yilin has her +1, but is China expected to gain another +1 through an event prior to the Olympics?

My limited knowledge makes me think the most realistic team is Liu Tingting, Qi Qi, Tang Xijing, and Li Shijia (I think this is the only team that avoids using a FTY in TF, although maybe Chen or Ou have upgraded to a DTY)

VT: (Liu) Li, Qi, Tang
UB: (Qi) Li, Tang, Liu
BB: (Qi) Tang, Li, Liu
FX: (Li) Tang, Liu, Qi

Last edited:
China has another +1 already because of the reallocation of the AA series spots to the top 3 from 2018, I think? Although they were all but certain to get one from the Asian Games anyway.

I’m not feeling Li Shijia. I think she ended up being a little overhyped once Stuttgart was said and done. That DTY was wild, they didn’t use her on bars or floor in TF, and that beam bronze wasn’t anything they couldn’t have gotten from Chen Yile or a non-prelims-meltdown Tang Xijing. Her beam dismount got wild, too, and her switch ring is in danger. But, a medal is a medal, and they can always use a DTY. My friends who attended said they were much more impressed with LTT’s presentation in person.

For Tokyo, I want Ou Yushan, Tang Xijing, Qi Qi, and a redemption epic from The Liu Tingting Cinematic Universe. +1: Fan, and then a Wei Xiaoyuan/Guan Chenchen showdown. Want GCC but realize Wei and Li might factor in first.

Last edited:
It’s so weird watching the Chinese routines in Sydney for me. At the time I didn’t pick up at all on the laboured casts, they seem so much more obvious in retrospect… but so do the strengths of the routines! I don’t feel like this about their mid 90s work either, the hit 95 and 96 sets have much better stood the test of time in my head.

Ugh just the sound she makes on the bar when doing the giant half before the tkatchev… gymgasm. And her flair on the Ling. ugh I wish we still saw this from the Chinese.

When I think China nowadays I still think of Shang Chunsong. We just don’t see those glorious lines anymore

Prodigy alert! Jiang Shuxuan (2009) from Hunan had a less than stellar 2023 Junior Worlds but qualified 1st to the AA, VT, BB, and FX finals as well as 8th to UB at the 2023 Junior Chinese Championships. I can’t find scores atm, just videos

Here is her floor, complete with the best 3.0 + front tuck (upgrade!) I’ve ever seen. How’s that for amplitude? I had zero deductions on the full-in tucked, aside from the preparation in corner before

I gave an 8.0 D score (A3) but this is clean!!

Full-in E
3.0 + front tuck EA .2
2.5 + 1.0 DC .2
Popa C
Triple turn C
Switch + Strug BC
Double tuck D
EEDDCCCC 3.0 + 2.2 + .4 = 5.6

Her sideways straddle 1/2 is beautiful
Front tuck mount D
fhs + front tuck BD .2
Switch + split jump CB
Back tuck C (.1 if she connected)
Turn A
Side somi D
Straddle 1/2 sideways D (it looked like she was initially prepping to connect them but I can’t verify this)
2.5 twist D
DDDDCDCB 2.8 + 2.2 + .2 = 5.2 (potentially 5.5?)

Tkachev D
Pak D
KCH 1/2 B
Hip circle + toe shoot CB
1/2 + 1/2 BB
1/1 C
FTDT D
DDDCCBBB 2.4 + 2.2 = 4.6

Ke Qinqin

also for seniors:
https://twitter.com/yaojinnan/status/1676776981319540736

https://twitter.com/lsjricna/status/1677187410738946048

I’m trying not to get too excited about Jiang Shuxuan. She has so much talent, but she doesn’t turn senior until 2025. That said, she’s so enjoyable to watch that I’m happy to appreciate what she can do now and not worry too much about her future.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back