British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m shocked. I really thought Becky was in and Doug’s pessimism was downright comical.

Did I misunderstand that the main criteria was medal chances?

It’s not the main criteria, but it was one of them. They’re also supposed to make TFs, and frankly they’d better hope this lot don’t decide to collapse on beam in prelims: they’re looking at a 42 on bars and nothing special on vault, so there isn’t going to be much cushion there. Team medal chances my arse.

I am so freaking mad about this. It makes no sense from an overall medal perspective. It makes no sense from a team medal perspective. It really feels like pure punishment and retribution for speaking up. Ugh. Burn it all down. I’m so sick of the organizations in this sport. So over it.

If both Gadirovas upgrade vault perhaps. And the team could really do with that, since bars are so weak.

Outrageous. I’m sure they have all sorts of justification lined up but it look jank as hell. Becky should go to Doha world cup and throw down a score that will equal what the Olympic medalists will get and shove it in BGs face at every opportunity.

Fucking knew this was fishy. Both the absolute lowball scoring and classic dog buying behaviour.

Do we know the actual team yet?

Last edited:
I also find it absolutely astonishing (but not at all surprising) that they’re taking Max in MAG, but “prioritising team results” in WAG.

I hope BG get everything coming to them over this decision. It’s just not right.

“ We know that team selection is an emotive subject, we understand that not everyone can agree with the selections made. We would like to appeal to everyone to please be fair and kind to all the gymnasts involved.”

BG trying to tell us to be fair and kind to the gymnasts.

No BG. We aren’t mad at the gymnasts, we are mad at you…

Last edited:
This is such crap. Hopefully the American press will help you out Doug and continue to bring this up. At least pointing out the corruption and complete BS to how/why they named the team.

What this means is that they’re going to do their level best to rebrand any criticism of the process as criticism of the athletes, so just prepare yourselves.

With Jennifer Gadirova injured, they’re not going to take the risk of Becky ending up on the team that way. Might as well go the whole hog!

Max can do no wrong in the eyes of BG. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is amazing in qualies, drops a bollock in tf and then wins in ef.

Being fair to BG, which I don’t like doing, Max has never had a team spot he didn’t deserve. When you’re very unlikely to win a team medal, prioritising individual medal chances is the sensible thing to do. Especially when you have someone who’ll win gold on their day.

If the British women make TFs, I need them to declare they’re now the makeshift Irish team, since three of the four are entitled to ROI citizenship anyway, and get Emma in on it too. Avoid giving BG any credit at all!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back