British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’d say with BG generally there’s a combination of incompetence and malice, and in this instance they have left Becky out due to whistleblowing.

To discourage the others, but also because if Becky went to Tokyo, she would obviously be a realistic medallist and thus have a potentially bigger platform. Multiply that by a thousand because of losing her brother: if she’d won a medal in those circumstances, she would have been one of the biggest stories on the planet. Billions of people would’ve heard whatever she wanted to say. BG have chosen to try and nip it in the bud now instead, rather than risking it getting completely out of control later on. Short term pain for long term gain.

The big picture is of a number of things that might be explicable on their own, but not in combination. The early trials, the 2024 medal prospects being in the criteria, yarning on about the AA at this late stage. It can’t be about medal prospects, for obvious reasons, and clearly it isn’t an effort at maximising the team score. And it’s not just about making sure the athlete coached by Colin Still’s wife gets on the team, because once Ellie withdrew, there was easily room for both Becky and Alice. Leaving Amelie out wouldn’t have created any real splash.

And without Ellie in the picture, Jade is probably fine for silver with Cheng + DTY and may never need the Amanar all season. Far be it from Olsen to pip her on those vaults.

What a turn of events.

if she’d won a medal in those circumstances, she would have been one of the biggest stories on the planet
Yes, if Becky had been put on the team and was able to win a medal, she would have had a platform to let the nation know what goes on behind the scenes of BG - the equivalent to Simone speaking out in the USA.

I’ve been at work all day (although I have checked twitter and on here through the day)
Gutted for Becky. And so, so cross with BG.

I feel bad for Amelie reading all the stuff online about Becky. She probably feels a bit awkward.

I just checked her instagram, and someone already left a shitty comment there.
People are just the worst.

That’s just twat behaviour. She’s barely 18, none of this is her doing and she had no power here. It plays right into BGs hands as they attempt to conflate criticism of them with criticism of the athletes.

The specific comment was also ignorant, because it isn’t and never has been necessary to be an individual medal prospect to justify a place on the British team. And in any case, Amelie could’ve ended up legitimately on the team in a parallel universe with a fair selection process.

I guess they were referring to BG that “she wasn’t medal worthy so she didn’t deserve a spot on the team”.

It’s using BGs pointless logic and twisting it against… Amelie! When in reality it’s a fuck up on BGs part.

I wonder if the girls have been briefed on how to react to the Becky backlash that they knew would come out when the results were made public.

In that case I see what he/she/it was doing there, and the appropriate place to direct it is not Amelie Morgan’s Instagram.

It’s a good point about briefing and media prep, and I hope BG haven’t just left the girls to deal with unprepared and all by themselves. They created this situation, they have a responsibility to ensure the welfare of those concerned.

People complain about the Japanese selections (and leaving Mai home in 2019 was incredibly dumb), but at least people know what they have to achieve where to get on the team.
And, I can’t believe I am going to defend USAG, but at least… the gymnasts know that they need to finish top 2 in trials, or as close as possible to it. It’s slightly clearer than a mess where people compete at all different trials, doing different events at each.

Well she was Amanda’s star.

Amanda always gets her way…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back