British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Are families able to attend events? Who is going to look after the puppy?

Off topic - I went to the markets this morning and had a chat to the dog lady and she told me I’m doing all the wrong things to help her my dog with anxiety about storms and strangers. Whatever lady. I’m sitting on my bed, my dog is curled up beside me. We are doing life our way.

So…Becky…

This is going to be a loooooong week waiting. We’ll be trying to read the tea leaves next.

Exactly. She will be at home and able to look after the puppy

Or she always told herself she would get a puppy if she made the team and was so excited that she forgot to worry about who would take care of the puppy … maybe

I just cannot fathom how she could be left off the team.

It’s simple. The selection guidelines seek one WAG medal.

She should be pick #1. She is GBR WAG’s best hope at a medal.

She’s more likely to medal in UB than ANY GB team is to medal in TF.

I just don’t get that we are even having a debate right now.

I’d say she’s pretty much the ONLY realistic hope of a medal.
Nobody has shown vaults difficult enough to medal when you have Jade/Simone/Yeo/Guilia/Alexa etc.
BB maybe an outside chance of a final/medal if everybody else has a meltdown.
FX- maybe one of the Gadirovas can make the final but it’s pretty stacked
UB is possibly the least stacked of all events this year.

Kelly’s bars was really quite nice until the dismount. I’m glad both her and Ondine came away with something at this competition.

And except the tucked tkatchev. Would have been mid 8s without those two errors

Good to see Kelly and Ondine get medals at this event - but their scores in the finals don’t really do anything to further their Olympic selection chances as it was a pretty low scoring meet

UB
3rd Kelly - 13.65
5th Ondine - 13.25

BB
3rd Ondine - 12.9
6th Kelly - 11.95

FX
5th Ondine 12.45
8 th Kelly - 11.7

The team decision was made before Varna. I think the meet selection (before final trial?) was a consolation competition for those two. They and everyone else knew they weren’t making it but it’s a goal and a “keep training for worlds” bone.

Last edited:
14.45, really? Well either way, her bars scores still put her in the highest scoring lineup.

I got the impression Varna was for the ones on the attempting worlds rather than the Olympic track. None of the MAG Olympians were there. Kelly’s never been going anywhere near Tokyo, and it’s not going to be Onadine either. People just got a bit distracted by her winning that one event.

Wow.

That’s a LOWBALL!

I had 14.8 and 14.1.

And I don’t think I was being particularly generous.

Hmmm. Something fishy’s going on. And I don’t like it.

Last edited:
  1. 1 and 14.45 are really “medal contending” though are they.
14.450 would have been 3rd reserve in Stuttgart. 14.100 would have her in 25th.

So you might be onto something.

She fell on one dismount, so 13.9 is understandable there. It’s 14.45 for the hit, albeit not quite full difficulty set that’s going to lead to speculation. Beam doesn’t matter that much anyway, they can use her or not.

That routine with the fall was excellent! Would have Undoubtedly been a 15 without it. I had 14.1 and she got 13.95 so I have no qualms about that score.

I have qualms about the 14.45 though. Those extra few tenths really skew the difference. 14.8 WOULD make finals, without a doubt. And a 15 might medal. Or would at least be GB’s best hope for a medal.

You know what, I would LOVE it if Becky stayed on for Worlds if she didn’t get picked, won gold on bars, and then did a huge public “fuck you” article to BG in the daily mail. Then write her book on it.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back