British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It could just be an oversight, but we’re back to the issue of them not deserving the benefit of the doubt at this point. In this situation, BG should ensure not only that everything is above board but that it has the appearance of being above board too. This should be a priority.

It seems they only respond when outrage is high. They’re more than happy to keep Becky’s scores buried when the gymternet isn’t making a fuss.

Ondine and Kelly both qualified to UB, BB, and FX finals in Varna.

And it’s weird that the gymternet ISNT asking for Becky’s scores. I’m sure if Becky isn’t selected, people will be asking questions.

But the fact that BG hasn’t learnt any lessons and isn’t pre-empting this, might say something… or maybe I’m giving BG too much credit.

Last edited:
Perhaps everyone was distracted by classics? Or everyone has decided she’s on the team and isn’t outraged at the lack of scores?

I agree that there will be a pile on if she doesn’t make the team. I only lurk on twitter, wondering if I should break the habit of a lifetime and actually tweet something?

Last edited:
Hold on
Hold on
Did they post scores for the other gymnasts? I just remember videos of top routines. Not having scores for Becky, wouldn’t be out of line if there are no scores for any of them.

So the appeals window ended yesterday.

Any news from anyone?

I think the window of appeals is (was) from 26-28 May, so now any appeals received will need to follow the proper channels - I.e…mediation or arbitration. I don’t think it would follow the mediation path because I’m sure that in a situation where one person wants to replace another on a team, the affected party - I.e. the one being replaced will never agree to to such an event. So all of the pertinent information will need to go to an arbitrator who would make the final decision. Of course the link to the Selection Appeals Process in the selection document leads to a “page not found” message because…British Gymnastics. It is because of these opaque situations that people sometimes have such a sour feeling about anything Olympic related, and personally I will probably raise a toast in honour of the F*CKWADS who will undoubtedly be the reason why GBR will not have a chance to medal in WAG in Tokyo.

Last edited:
BG said “Early June” for an announcement, so I wonder if it will be next week. They really should have clarified that when they announced the postponing.

Yeah you can’t mediate an Olympic spot. A decision must be taken.

But I find it difficult to see how an arbitrator can change a decision when the selection criteria itself is so opaque and based on discretion.

An arbitrator applying the selection criteria will simply say “well it’s based on discretion so the original selection is upheld”.

The only thing I can think to argue is, if I’m becky and if I didn’t get picked, that the goals for selection is to achieve a one medal. And that picking Amelie over becky is much less likely to achieve that goal.

But then again - the selectors surely know this!

I will feel really bad for whichever of the two doesnt get picked. And I will definitely have a sour taste in my mouth about Alice.

Surely if Becky did do that, they could argue that one of the others has more potential to medal in Paris… the criteria is so vague they could justify any decision they made.

The whole “potential for a high performance in Paris” is absurd. We all know that the BIG funding comes to those sports that bring in OG medals and probably also finals to a degree. Without having a medal (even an outside chance) or shot at a medal, funding will probably decrease. And who knows what the situation will be three years from now. Gymnasts just wanting to get on with life, more allegations, or who knows what can have the best medal shot say, “Um, thanks I’m done.”

Last edited:

Buying a puppy is the kind of thing I’d tell myself I’d do if I didn’t get picked for the Olympic team.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back