British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I would hope so, over Alice! She’s inconsistent. Amelie was sold as a rock at Euros.

And @ArnoldRimmer before you come at me with "none of this would have happened if she hit beam at Euros - well. She didn’t hit beam at Euros. That’s the point. And neither did Jessica. But she was good enough on the other events to overcome it. Alice isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dex
Look like she was protecting an ankle injury to me.
Also, did she do FX??

Ha Rich you know she did! And she got like an 11. But with 0.6 in OOB. So maybe she was protecting her landings and running out of them instead of trying to stick.

Who knows?!? Because fucking BG wont tell us anything.

Have Becky’s Trials scores been released yet?

Indeed she is not. She’d had her share of splats well before this year too. I just don’t think Amelie is entirely consistent either, given that she ballsed up the final trials. For me, the three locks should be the Gadirovas and Becky Downie, and then whoever gets the fourth spot is going to be a league below that.

I’m gonna pull a Dom C and say that I value Amelie’s 10 for 10 (pretty much) on a podium, on foreign soil, under the lights, under a crowd (ish) and in front of all the cameras, in greater esteem than those domestic closed door “Trials” scores from Alice on her home gym equipment with her coaches judging…

Last edited:
So do I actually! The domestic trials regime is sufficiently shady that my issue is Amelie apparently not having hit, rather than what she got. But I think Alice is on the team, by fair means or foul.

But like Dom said. Some gymnasts raise their game in front of the big crowds. Some crumble.

Having watched these girls for a whole quad, I fear that they’re about to pick the one that will crumble at the Olympics instead of shine.

Guessing this is a bone to throw at Odine for not getting picked for Tokyo?

I don’t know that Alice will crumble necessarily, she’s certainly hit on the big stage when it matters before. She wouldn’t have won European and CWG beam titles otherwise. But her back catalogue doesn’t suggest she’s a safe bet either. It could go either way. And it is shitty that Amelie hasn’t had enough time to get her DTY back when perhaps choosing at the end of June like the majority of other countries might have done it: she’s been quite disadvantaged by the selection process.

I mean, sure. But its not like this was the routine of the century.

Would have barely beaten Bachynska for bronze in Euros 2021.

No, not at all. She’s not delivering huge scores even with hit sets, which goes to my point about there being a big gap between my top 3 and the 4th. It’s just that obviously if Alice were one who just crumbles under pressure, she wouldn’t have stayed on when such a big prize was at stake.

This is a side question, but are there going to be crowds at the Olympics? Will it only be a few vaccinated locals? Or are they selling a good number of tickets?

Hopefully.

This discussion of who hits on a big stage made me wonder if the Olympics will feel like a big stage and how that will impact the athletes. (No way to know, really.)

Good news about Varna being streamed.

I think they’ve said that they’ll decide about Japanese spectators in June. If it’s no audience then I’d like to see them do the cardboard cut out thing, I’d pay for a cardboard version of me to be at the Olympics! It would also get them some compensation for loss of ticket sales. Euros was another way round things with the live fans on the big screen via zoom.

Something on topic…ummmm… it’s frustrating knowing that some people in the universe know the team, I’m feeling impatient right now. Would love to know Becky’s scores but high 14 seems reasonable for the hit bars. Very curious to know what happened after the beam video cut out. Looks like we probably won’t be getting scores without pestering or they’d have released them when her trial was over. If she makes the team then few will care (except whoever misses out plus GMF).

I’m mad because I swear I saw her scores on some video on Instagram shortly after the trial. It specifically said what she scored with the blue leo and the black(?) leo. I searched earlier today for awhile but couldn’t find it. But I think she scored a 15.0something for the hit bars set and then a 14.0something for the routine with the fall on the dismount

I checked the British Gym twitter and they don’t seem to have her scores posted anywhere though

Last edited:
I posted my scores with the blue leo and black leo (14.8 with no fall, 14.1 with the fall). I never saw anything official though.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back