British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

According to Twitter, Olivia Bryl and Lynette Lise for Wales in 2006, but not checked that! Scotland also had Emma White there in 2006. Again, according to twitter

Yeah that was a comparatively high non-English representation time. Rhian Pugh was around in 06 as well, though not at worlds. I can’t remember exactly when she retired.

I don’t think she officially retired until 2009. Jordan Lipton (Scotland) was one of the top juniors around that sort of time too (was espoir champ) and of course Sam Bayley became Welsh so she could continue training with Tracey Skirton. Rosalie Hutton and the Galashan twins were others who’d had GB international assignments.

It’s disappointing that Shannon Archer was never given any World Cup opportunities for vault. Yes, I know, cost etc but she lives in Essex now, how much does a cheap flight from Stansted to somewhere unpronounceable in Hungary cost?

Does anyone have the scores for the 5 way international yesterday in Germany. I’ve seen AA but not all scores.

Also I’ve seen the scores from the Norway invitational. It doesn’t really look like an international comp almost just an invitational club competition that they sent England squad to. There didn’t seem to be any team for another country even Norway. They seemed to be representing their clubs. I can’t see the relevance of sending England squad there but I suppose it is self funded so why not. I suspect they are trying to give them all a comp.

I have so many thought about worlds quals but I really should go to bed before exhaling them!

However, I just wanted to celebrate GB’s achievements at worlds so far. What’s blowing my mind is that the WAG team qualified in second - yet it’s unremarkable and almost expected. It’s been incredible hearing many knowledgable gymfans predict a team medal for them rather than it being an optimist GB fan’s hope if others make mistakes. They have come a long way since their first TF in 2007.

Of course the same is true of the men; but with 4th in Rotterdam and the London bronze we’ve had more time to process it.

I wonder what my Sydney quad self would say if I told her that both GB teams would win two world team medals and an Olympic team medal? I know the Russia ban impacts this so there are caveats for last year. Anyway it’s not the medals that I’m really wanting to celebrate here, it’s them being consistently in contention.

Consistency and the ability to recover from mistakes have been important. Worth celebrating for sure.

Last edited:
Disappointing night for WAG, really. But so exciting to have so many teams fighting for medals now.

I don’t follow wherever these Gadirova haters are (and glad i don’t), but i thought she had some real clutch performances aside from the vault. It just seemed like all sorts of uncharacteristic errors all at once.

With just EF finals to go I thought I’d remind myself of BG’s targets:

WAG
  1. British Gymnastics is targeting a medal target range of 2-5 medals for Women’s Artistic
    Gymnastics.
    a) Team, top 5 placing ❎ 6th
    b) All Around, 2 gymnasts achieving a top 12 placing ❎ 7th and 13th
    c) Apparatus Finals, 3 gymnasts achieving apparatus finals well technically yes if you go with achieving rather than competing, who knows if Jess will be fit enough to compete
    d) Apparatus Finals, 2 medals
I can’t find the MAG selection document at the moment.

Last edited:
Not sure c was achieved, if I’m reading it right. Or did they mean just three EFs total?

Only Gadirova made any. And Achampong if you count AA. And if you stretch that, Kinsella got 2pc.

Last edited:
Yeah you’re right it does read as three different gymnasts making EF. Not as out of reach as it might have seemed given that GMF is second reserve on bars and Kinsella is first reserve on floor. For the record Achampong was 16th on beam.

The only one they are miles off is the 2 event medals. And I think with the return on Simone that was out of reach.

The only one they are miles off is the 2 event medals. And I think with the return on Simone that was out of reach.
Yes I’m sure these targets were published before Simone announced she was competing at classic

MAG (the same as WAG)

British Gymnastics is targeting a medal target range of 2-5 medals for Men’s Artistic
Gymnastics.
a) Team, top 5 placing ✅ 4th
b) All Around, 2 gymnasts achieving a top 12 placing ❎ 9th and 13th
c) Apparatus Finals, 3 gymnasts achieving apparatus finals ✅ Bravo Harry!
d) Apparatus Finals, 2 medals ❎ 6th, 5th, 8th, 1st, 7th pretty good, not many would have bet against Max medalling

Last edited:
Jess would have easily gotten a medal on FX if she hit, vault was a 50/50, so I’m not sure the target was that far off.
On her best of days, Gadirova would’ve won vault bronze and floor gold against the competitors who performed. But you can’t set up an entire federation’s expectations around one athlete. Who else did they think would win individual event medals? There isn’t anyone even close right now, except Achampong in a beam final that included our customary number of implosions by higher qualifiers. I love this British team but it’s kind of like USA MAG. You throw them at the wall and see what sticks.

The WAG really do lack depth in the individual events. The same was true last year actually, but it wasn’t really noticed because Kinsella finishing 4th AA masked it somewhat. But most silver medal winning teams, particularly when they clearly are the 2nd best there and not riding their luck, get more individual hardware than GB did in Liverpool.

And this year, even if TFs had gone well and Jess hadn’t got injured, it could’ve still been a situation where they came 2nd again but won nothing else other than a minor medal on floor. I would’ve said BG tend to prioritise the team medal, but even so it’s still quite a stark stat.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back