British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Well that’s certainly a game-changer… she’s coming for AA/VT medals.

I think it would be a mixture being excited to compete with her idol again (look at them in Tokyo) and then the reality of her medal opportunities reducing

Yeah, she likely already had the Cheng when she heard the news and was legitimately thinking of a dream Olympics with AA/VT/FX medals being a distinct possibility, some of them gold. But those are all Simone’s gold medals* now.
  • Simone’s to lose, that is

Last edited:
Jessica’s Cheng is pikey (as was her Lopez on occasion #Munich) but has pretty nice lift. I’m impressed and look forward to seeing how it looks by worlds.

Is that rule about not being able to do more than half a twist in pike position still around? Does that mean a “piked Cheng” can’t be devalued/named but would just garner body shape deductions?

Her Cheng vault can’t be downgraded because pike 1.5 vault isn’t in the code. That’s another advantage for doing a Cheng vault. If she does that for Lopez, it will be devalued from 4.8 to 4.2.

Overall, the Cheng vault is 100% worth doing. If I remember correctly, her Lopez was downgraded in the past, but Cheng is immune to devaluation for pike shape.

Last edited:
What would a piked Cheng be valued at? If you couldn’t do an actual Cheng, you could get it named and potentially throw a wrench in your competitor’s game by making the thing exist. (I’d rather see a piked one than the weird noodly shape that Roberson hits for hers. I guess it is technically laid out but it is not stretched and it looks…weird. At least piked is a shape.)

The 1.5 pike was dropped from the code. That’s why I said it’s a huge advantage to do a Cheng than Lopez. And Roberson’s Cheng isn’t bad actually.

Last edited:
"There used to be a piked 1.5 in the code until 2013, at which point twisting vaults in the piked position were capped at a full twist. "

Basically all Mustafina vaults are done with significant pike anyway! I remember Terin Humphrey and maybe some other U.S. gymnast competed the piked Cheng at some point in the early 00s as well.

IIRC

Terin and postell did the piked cheng in 02/03 and cheng herself submitted both positions in 05

This is such a ridiculous oversight by the WTC. You can’t apply different rules to vaults within the same family. They either need to start downgrading Chengs or stop downgrading the Lopez. It’s essentially encouraging gymnasts to chuck the vault.

Her Cheng vault can’t be downgraded because pike 1.5 vault isn’t in the code.
And yet another reason why downgrade rationale is a bunch of bunk!
Downgrades based on a very clear execution error make no sense as D-score devaluations. Too many plot holes to even list.

Last edited:
Anyone want to take a guess at how this ridiculous piece of gymnastics would be rated?

3.5X double straight 😱 and it’s stunning. Wonderful body shape and control.

Last edited:
Becky’s explanation of her trials performance. She is starting to rival Iordache as the most unlucky gymnast ever.

She has always been a sentimental favorite of mine, hoping it works out.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back