British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The WAG really do lack depth in the individual events. The same was true last year actually, but it wasn’t really noticed because Kinsella finishing 4th AA masked it somewhat. But most silver medal winning teams, particularly when they clearly are the 2nd best there and not riding their luck, get more individual hardware than GB did in Liverpool.

And this year, even if TFs had gone well and Jess hadn’t got injured, it could’ve still been a situation where they came 2nd again but won nothing else other than a minor medal on floor. I would’ve said BG tend to prioritise the team medal, but even so it’s still quite a stark stat.
The selection criteria is too geared towards AA. It prevents gymnasts like GMF focussing on becoming a final worthy UB/BB gymnast because in order to be selected, she has to be AA back up.

The recent focus on Chengs and Amanars might pay off though. GB are never going to beat China on bars and beam unless they have a meltdown, but they can make up the difference on vault

Last edited:
The selection criteria is too geared towards AA. It prevents gymnasts like GMF focussing on becoming a final worthy UB/BB gymnast because in order to be selected, she has to be AA back up.
That’s a good point.

I expect the coaches would say this tactic has got GB to a place where team medals are theirs to lose. They beat themselves this year, out of bronze at least. But it’s worth thinking about where GMF might’ve been on bars and beam if she didn’t have to keep pursuing 13s on vault and floor too. That could look like higher maximum scores, or greater consistency with the ones she had. There’s some argument for a back up AAer, but at minimum it doesn’t need to be both her and Ondine.

In terms of the Amanar, I think we need to see more data. We learned pretty much nothing on that front, other than Ruby’s not a bad competitor. They put up a gymnast with an Amanar that clearly wasn’t ready and got the predictable result. But at minimum, it’s worth pursuing. Both for Ruby as an individual and potentially as a tactic for the team.

https://x.com/whiptriplefull/status/1713209267904209295?s=46
https://x.com/gadirovagb/status/1713217355138937199?s=46

I think the door is definitely open for Downie after GMF’s performance in Tokyo. Fingers crossed she remains healthy, has a consistent UB year and doesn’t spectacularly bomb the selection event.

Downie could actually really do with Jen Gadirova coming back strong next year. Easy to forget that it was Jennifer who performed (well) on beam in the Olympic team final, not Jess. With an in form Jen, GB would have some beam depth which may not be the case if Ruby is the VT/FX pick.

Last edited:
I’m really confused why GMF is getting chance after chance, only to continue to royally fuck up in every major team final.
She doesn’t, it’s a more mixed bag than that. For example, she did the job GB needed when they won world silver in 2022. Could’ve squeezed a bit more out of bars, but the hit beam routine was more significant.

But also, the team don’t have a lot of other options. The number of times when GMF has actually been selected over a clear and viable alternative is not high, and it hasn’t happened yet this quad. She’s easily the lowest hanging fruit of the core four, but nobody has stepped up. And she’s been the greatest beneficiary of Becky Downie’s health issues.

Because she’s consistently mediocre where as Becky can score anything from 10.2 to 14.3 depending on the weather
GB haven’t really managed to get themselves into the position where that’s the choice yet. It would require more depth than the team have.

Post Tokyo, both of them have been to every major competition they’ve been healthy for, even when not necessarily that convincing at selection. There hasn’t been the luxury of doing that risk benefit calculation.

I do wonder how the 4 and 5th spot will play out (obviously depending on Jess’ injury). I see it between Jen, Ruby, GMF, Becky and possibly Abi.

Jen is such an emigma at the moment. I hope the year off has benefitted her.
Honestly having a solid beam and floor routine might just be enough for her. If she can out do Ruby on floor (possible bc her upgrades don’t benefit her E score), and can be within the top 3 on beam at trials, then that might be enough.

Honestly having a solid beam and floor routine might just be enough for her. If she can out do Ruby on floor (possible bc her upgrades don’t benefit her E score), and can be within the top 3 on beam at trials, then that might be enough.
Which would benefit GMF even after that nightmare of a TF, since Jen really is rubbish at bars.

I do wonder what happened to her last week. It’s not like her to completely bomb.

No up-and-comers going to make a splash next year and plug some of the holes?

No up-and-comers going to make a splash next year and plug some of the holes?
The only person I see is Abigail Martin, but she’ll have to upgrade. I think LA will be a better goal for her in the long run

The only person I see is Abigail Martin, but she’ll have to upgrade. I think LA will be a better goal for her in the long run
[/quot
Off the top of my head I thought she was injured? I think upgrades will take her to LA more likely but then I think the 2009 year look strong coming up then.

[/quot
Off the top of my head I thought she was injured? I think upgrades will take her to LA more likely but then I think the 2009 year look strong coming up then.
Yeah she mentioned she’s coming back from an injury on twitter. Also with LA a lot depends who will be retire after Paris (Becky, Claudia, Kelly and Ondine?) bars could be questionable

Last edited:
It would not surprise me if GB loses a whole generation. Gymnasts who were not on the senior national team in March 2020 were considered recreational athletes and were not allowed to fully resume training until April 2021. They then had a further break November 2021 until February 2022. National development programme was suspended for 2 years and did not resume until Spring 2022.

There is also the issue that in a short space of time, and for various reasons, several clubs with a lot of experience of training elite gymnasts have pretty much disappeared from the elite scene. City of Liverpool, Heathrow, South Durham, Notts, The Academy

IMG_3742

💔😭🤬

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back