British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It would not surprise me if GB loses a whole generation. Gymnasts who were not on the senior national team in March 2020 were considered recreational athletes and were not allowed to fully resume training until April 2021. They then had a further break November 2021 until February 2022. National development programme was suspended for 2 years and did not resume until Spring 2022
Yeah, I think we’re liable to see the effect of covid policy decisions carry on well into next quad. We’ve finally worked our way through the competition backlog now Asian Games is over. This is the next episode.

So will this get the FIG to stop downgrading perfectly nice Lopezes so people won’t have to upgrade to not-quite-ready Chengs just to get their start values?
I’m currently watching VT EF and Wong’s Lopez still looks good enough for straight to me. Guess I need to do a lot of revision before taking my judging exam.

I’m currently watching VT EF and Wong’s Lopez still looks good enough for straight to me. Guess I need to do a lot of revision before taking my judging exam.
It’s really shameful that Wong’s Lopez was downgraded and Black’s McIntosh was not downgraded to a Chsuovitina. Black hits the pike position more so than Wong.

Will this be sufficient, in the adversity stakes, for the gymternet to stop rooting against her if she comes back to elite? Or does that require multiple ACL tears? 😞

She’s looking at a long recovery. If she makes it back for Paris at all.

eta: Maybe short term World 2025 and long term LA 2028 will be her goals.

Last edited:
This is such a bummer. ACL injuries are rough. I hope she has a successful and speedy recovery.

Will this be sufficient, in the adversity stakes, for the gymternet to stop rooting against her if she comes back to elite? Or does that require multiple ACL tears? 😞
It depends whether anyone from UCLA or Florida ends up in the world floor final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I had this thought as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it an ACL injury that Annia Hatch had a year before Athens? She managed to make it back in time. There is hope for Jess.

Yes… Annia had about 2 extra months of recovery than Jess will
Oh, that stinks. And unless surgical/recovery techniques have really improved, i wouldn’t want her to rush back and jeopardize her longterm career and health.

Oh, that stinks. And unless surgical/recovery techniques have really improved, i wouldn’t want her to rush back and jeopardize her longterm career and health.
shes only just 19 too so I’m hoping they don’t try and rush her back.

So will this get the FIG to stop downgrading perfectly nice Lopezes so people won’t have to upgrade to not-quite-ready Chengs just to get their start values?
It did not sound like it was due to the cheng though did it?

Last edited:
shes only just 19 too so I’m hoping they don’t try and rush her back.
19!!! OMG she’s a dinosaur, just put her bones in a museum already. 😆

@Rich, no, it doesn’t. People are speculating that she tweaked the knee on the crashed Cheng, but we have zero actual evidence of this.

Last edited:
19!!! OMG she’s a dinosaur, just put her bones in a museum already. 😆

, no, it doesn’t. People are speculating that she tweaked the knee on the crashed Cheng, but we have zero actual evidence of this.
On her statement on instagram she says it wasn’t even on an actual skill

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back