British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That makes it stranger. It’s not like she had good scores and wasn’t selected.

Maybe she felt the need to comment, given the public release of scores and any social media speculation about the team?

I’m sure she knows that people tend to have strong reactions around her exclusion from teams–sometimes justified, sometimes not–and wanted to try and get in front of this one since she knew the scores really weren’t there. Especially since the internet can go after innocent athletes selected instead of fan favorites.

It shouldn’t be her responsibility to do that–people should just use their heads–but it’s my guess.

G. At some point, they start DROPPING the letter values.

Kidding. Should be an I.

Totally usable Cheng by Jess Gadirova. Wow.

Reactions: Bob
Why? Because literally two random people mentioned it’s piked? That doesn’t merit attention.

I don’t think it is comparable. Roberson’s Cheng in podium training was given Paseka comparison which was extremely unfair. The sentiments on Jess Gadirova’s Cheng are mostly positive. The amount of criticism between Roberson’s Cheng in podium training and Jess Gadirova’s first Cheng is unmatched.

I’ve no issue with people critiquing skills. But Twitter is crazy. Accusations of favouritism, home scoring and BG bribing for results was some of the tamer stuff I saw during worlds, but it did help me mute a few nutcases. My timeline is fairly peaceful now.

I briefly dropped into Reddit and was shocked at the pre-Nationals discussions about possible team line-ups. Almost everyone had Roberson on their team doing three events in TFs, and many were arguing about her “right” to compete in the AA because of how well she’s done this year. Mind-boggling.

Ruby Evans is the first non- English gymnast to make GBR team in forever. I can’t remember the last time a non-English gymnast made Worlds or Olympics. The one I recall last is Holly Murdock in 2001, but that was Northern Ireland and not Wales.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
On the women’s side. The men’s team have had gymnasts from Scotland and Wales in the last 10 years.

Rhian Pugh probably the last non English gymnast to reach the top tier within British gymnastics

Plus Ruby trains in Wales too, she’s from a Welsh club. Quite often gymnasts compete for another home nation on the strength of a parent being from there but live and train in England- Dan Keatings, Dan Purvis, Frank Baines etc. None of which is to comment on anyone’s identity or decisions, but this is interesting and positive because it’s a sign of more pathways onto the GB team. And from outside England.

In case anyone needed it pointing out, the other five WAGs are Gadirova, Kinsella, Achampong and GMF. The alternates are Poppy and Becky, they don’t seem to have said which will be travelling and which not. I’d have thought Poppy might be the best option, with Becky’s migraine situation? Even with this team being quite weak at bars.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back