British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hehe.

Although kind of… not really? GB are still in the same chasing pack for team silver and bronze, and have one individual medal, Jess on floor, that we know is in their hands rather than depending also on the performance of others. Just like last year. Granted, Simone is likely to beat Jess, but in terms of medal numbers it doesn’t make a difference. And BG never seem to specify colour of medal.

Simone obviously does make a vault and beam medal less likely, but those must have been secondary concerns anyway. I’m not sure her presence really changes the situation in the AA. With the quality they have, the US would probably have two better AAers than Jess in the final regardless.

eta- now we have a good idea what events and routines she’ll be doing, maybe we should have a thread on the potential impact of Simone’s return on other countries prospects, strategy etc? I know you were joking but it’s also an interesting point.

Last edited:
I know that amongst the gymnastics community here in Russia, the reaction to Simone’s return was less frustration about being banned than there was at the start of the year when the US were looking quite mediocre.

That makes sense. I know Russia beat the US in 2021 and might’ve done so even with Simone’s normal performance, but that took several years of the programme not really giving a fuck. I think a pretty valuable lesson was learned there. Actually, it might turn out that the best thing Simone ever did for USAG was keeping her intentions under her hat for so long. They had to come up with a Plan B.

In gymnastics, especially in WAG, the USA had better watch out ! The USA is excellent in gymnastics, but the UK (Great Britain) can very soon beat the USA in gymnastics. The UK is gradually becoming a gymnastics super power. It won’t be long before a future Olympiad in which the UK will win Team Olympic Gold, and the USA winning Team Olympic Silver. In gymnastics, the USA faces a challenge with the UK.

José M.

P.S. I am here drinking a beer whilst I write this post.

I can’t get the tweet to load, not sure if it’s cause I don’t have a Twitter account. What am I missing?

Hmm it seems like a not worthwhile injury risk for a key athlete, but maybe the 4 tenths are worth it when you factor in the huge hop she typically has on the DTY. We’ve definitely seen sketchier Amanda before.

With Japan/Italy burning through their athletes, I think GB is pretty assured of a team medal. Only China seems capable of challenging them for silver at the moment, but they’re just as likely to fall apart in finals. Losing Alice to injury would be a huge blow to their team prospects.

I don’t think it’s worth the extra .4. Definitely seen worse, though.

Last edited:
It looks a lot better than her DTY did when she started competing that in 2017.

Blasted autocorrect but I thought it was funny enough to leave as is

She also hinted at other upgrades, I wonder what’s she’s planning for world. I think she’s determined to get another Aa medal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back