Aimee Boorman (Simone's former coach) named Olympic coach for the Netherlands

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Tokyo is not allowing any foreign spectators to the Olympics.
Parents will not be allowed to travel with their athletes as we have seen in the past. So no Mr. and Mrs. Biles in Tokyo.

Based on no foreign spectators coming in, perhaps there is a limit on the number of non-athletes. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there is a limits to the number of coaches allowed in, even personal coaches. A limited delegation would not be out of the ordinary given the circumstances.

I also have a feeling that USAG will only have two coaches as well. Head coach and an assistant coach.
Laurent is likely to go as head coach, so it would have to be a female assistant coach.

Trying to think of which female coaches are even an option. Sarah Janzti if McCallum makes it? I think just about every other top contenders head coach is a man.

I suppose Kelli Hill if DiCello does that typical “slow-but-steady and find yourself at the Olympics” thing Hill gymnasts are so good at.

Another possibility for the USA female coach is Pam Evans who coaches Carey. Or do you think the gymnasts who qualified as individuals will get to bring their own coach separate from the 2 for the 4 person team?

*forgot she also coaches McCusker now too. If Riley makes the team Pam would make sense.

Last edited:
P am makes sense but I bet they’ll just send Cecile Landi for the female coach.

Last edited:
I think they won’t go that route as both coaches are then just Simone’s (and maybe Chiles?)
Sarah Jantzi would likely be the other considering her experience at Worlds if McCallum is named to the team.

Cecile has the experience and gets along with all the team. But it might look like Simone got more help.

It’s weird that they are hiring her for this now, with only a few months until the Olympics, but her excellence in coaching vaulting, tumbling, etc. could be a great counterbalance to the strengths Team Netherlands already have — choreo, spins, routine composition and strategy, older athletes who self-coach much of the time…

The timing is all wrong. She could really play a big role post Olympics.
I don’t think it is a good idea to dismiss coaches that the current gymnasts are comfortable with and familiar with right before the Olympics.

This is the Dutch Gymnastics Federation reacting like a moron because of alligations of former gymnasts. The investigation is not completed yet so now ALL coaches are punished, even coaches that are not even named.

I like Boorman as a coach but she had 10+ years to prepare Simone, an exceptional talented gymnast. Now she is expected to get results within three months, totally unrealistic.

Exactly I don’t think she’s expected to get results.

But she’s a top female coach, not associated with the scandal, and not otherwise occupied.

That’s relatively hard to find at such short notice.

Agreed. I saw this as them trying to find the least offensive person possible given that they didn’t want to have anybody from their domestic group of coaches (not saying that’s right call, but just saying that seems to have been what they decided they were going to do.

I’d go beyond least offensive, and say her history must make her pretty attractive too. It’s an easy one to justify to some administrator, funding boss or journalist: we were experiencing some problems, so we bought in the coach responsible for Simone Biles. Boom. Even if Aimee completely tanked in the role, it would still be hard to criticise whoever brought her in. It’s a bullet proof decision in a sport where very few of these exist.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back