2025 Commits

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Could be a beautiful class. Could be broken as all heck by the time they get to UCLA. 🤷‍♀️

Could be a beautiful class. Could be broken as all heck by the time they get to UCLA. 🤷‍♀️
Indeed, that is the torture of getting excited about any class, you just never know how its going to turn out.

What I’m struck by is this coaching staff and the turn around they’ve achieved in such a short period of time. I thought we were in for at least a few years of ‘re-building’. I didn’t expect the consistency and results of this past season and I didn’t think they’d land a class of this caliber one year in.

What I’m struck by is this coaching staff and the turn around they’ve achieved in such a short period of time. I thought we were in for at least a few years of ‘re-building’. I didn’t expect the consistency and results of this past season and I didn’t think they’d land a class of this caliber one year in.
UCLA was also robbed in their semi-final and should have advanced to the finals over Oklahoma.

UCLA was also robbed in their semi-final and should have advanced to the finals over Oklahoma.
And the fact that they didn’t reseed teams for the finals. LSU had no business in the final 4 and made the meet far less interesting.

Gymnastics is not a sport like basketball where things can come together for a team and they way overperform their potential causing an upset. The only thing that leads to an upset is an implosion. There is no reason to keep the seeds throughout the process.

Yeah, especially for the more sheltered, more religious, conservative types. Those are the ones that generally go for Utah or the SEC schools.
But isn’t there usually enough top recruits who are not from that sort of background at all and want to avoid that sort of school?

But isn’t there usually enough top recruits who are not from that sort of background at all and want to avoid that sort of school?
Yes. Plenty. But the tide has also turned in the last 8-10 years and now top rated recruits are going to programs all over the country. Whereas UCLA, Michigan, Utah, and the SEC schools (Bama, UF, Georgia, LSU) were where the majority of these top recruits went and on occasion Oklahoma.

Now Arkansas, Cal, Auburn, Michigan State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Denver, Oregon State, Iowa, and Missouri are also directly competing, so there is a spread of the wealth.

Gone are the days of UCLA or Georgia getting 4-5 of the top rated and elite recruits.

Reactions: One
If your goal is to get a championship, well, you want to get on Oklahoma's team and hope to get to compete. If you want to compete a lot, well, better to be a big fish in the little pond.

MANY years ago (pre-WWG!) there was a US elite who was rather public about her choice coming down to "go win a championship but get very limited chances to actually compete, or go be the big fish but never win a championship."

MANY years ago (pre-WWG!) there was a US elite who was rather public about her choice coming down to "go win a championship but get very limited chances to actually compete, or go be the big fish but never win a championship."
OOOOHHHH.
I don't remember this.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back