2024 Olympic Articles and Media

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if vertigo is classified as a medical reason and if so, the twisties should be under that umbrella. It's not truly vertigo but it messes with your sense of where you are all the same.

Simone herself framed it as a mental health issue in the post-competition press conference in Tokyo. It's possible that she did so because the team needed to claim she had a medical condition in order for her to withdraw from the competition, and they went with anxiety. In any case, Simone herself put the mental health thing out there, and once it was out, it became the narrative regardless of the rest of the facts.

On a different topic, this is not an article, but a photo that's worth sharing:
That's true but I am oretty sure thats because of the need to frame it that way to get her substituted out. She kind of had no choice.

That's true but I am oretty sure thats because of the need to frame it that way to get her substituted out. She kind of had no choice.
I literally said that in my comment! 😄 But once the words were out there, I think they developed a life of their own.

I literally said that in my comment! 😄 But once the words were out there, I think they developed a life of their own.
Exactly. It was a huge shame though. For various reasons

WaPo
IMG_1468.png

Anecdote from BBC’s tennis coverage.

Andy Murray is a huge collector of Olympic pins and was desperate for a Simone Biles one.
Becky Downie managed to get him one because he was too scared to ask Simone himself
This is brilliant! 😍 It’ll be a long time before I can get to tennis coverage so thanks for sharing.

Anecdote from BBC’s tennis coverage.

Andy Murray is a huge collector of Olympic pins and was desperate for a Simone Biles one.
Becky Downie managed to get him one because he was too scared to ask Simone himself

I read a couple of days ago that Becky was on a mission to get a Simone pin for Andy Murray - happy she managed to get him one

Simone officially retires the Biles II vault, but hasn't rulled out Los Angeles.

Minutes after the American gymnastics star won the seventh Olympic gold of her career on Saturday in a vault final that left little doubt that even at 27 she remains in a class by herself, she played coy when asked if the event marked the final time she would ever explode off the springboard in competition.

While Biles allowed she was officially retiring her eponymous Yurchenko double pike vault because “I kind of nailed that one” at the Paris Olympics, she didn’t rule out a return to the Games when they move to Los Angeles in 2028.

“Never say never,” Biles said. “Next Olympics are at home. So you just never know. I am getting really old.”

At times, it’s hard to tell.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back