2023 Winter Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Not sure. Probably minimum of 8 including the two automatic qualifiers, but I have to say it is not entirely clear when I read it.

Standings with Seniors and Juniors combined, Juniors are bold:

1 Hezly Rivera 53.350
2 Lexi Zeiss 53.200
3 Ashlee Sullivan 52.750
4 Nola Matthews 52.600
5 Zoe Miller 52.500
6 Jayla Hang 52.300
7T Elle Mueler / Kieryn Finnell 52.250
9 Zoey Molomo 52.100
10 Gabrielle Hardie 52.050 (2009)
11 Izzy Stassi 51.800
12 Joscelyn Roberson 51.700
13 Jordis Eichman 51.400
14 Charlotte Booth 51.100
15 Kaliya Lincoln 51.050
16T Addison Fatta/Katelyn Rosen 50.750
18 Dulcu Caylor 50.550
19 Simone Rose 50.350

All these juniors are 2008 born, they will be seniors in just 10 months and eligible for Paris, except Gabrielle Hardie.

Last edited:
Has there been no indication that the new leadership might be interested in changing this?

It’s stupid to make selections for an international competition based on results under a different scoring system. The gap between 2nd and 3rd seems to have ended up at half a tenth - could that potentially have been the other way round under the junior code?

But mainly it’s about the extra difficulty USAG are encouraging in juniors. Now we know they’ve won everything for the past decade, but they’ve also had plenty of amazing juniors who were too injured to make an impact in senior competition.

Rivera’s floor is far from the craziest junior routine we’ve ever seen, but for example with FIG junior scoring the double layout and back 2.5 dismount would only get her an extra 0.2 in difficulty over a double pike and 1.5, whereas USAG are giving her 0.5.

I don’t think they’ll go by rank order. Finnell isn’t going to score well at junior worlds. They’ll skip her over for Hardie and Molomo imo

Sorry, by rank order I meant for invites to camp. Given that juniors worlds is 3-3-2 and its there aren’t any juniors that are 3 event wonders like Tiana S. was last year, i figure they’ll invite top 8, maybe 10.

Last edited:
Here it is. Genuinely the worst elite level floor routine I have ever seen. Everyone involved in having this gymnast compete elite with such poor posture, presentation, musical awareness should hang their heads in shame

Yes. They will invite by rank order and then will likely look at the top 2 and see who can increase the score using 3-3-2

Molomo, Hardie, and Stassi look good bc Molomo as 4th all around, 3rd on vault, 3 on bars, but struggled on beam and floor.

Hardie was 5th all around but was 2nd on bars and floor. She only has a full twisting yurchenko though. Her beam was hit today but she only has a 4.800 start value.
Stassi was 6th all around but was 5th on vault, 4th on bars, and 4th on floor.

It’ll be two of these three IMO for the team member and alternate.

I only watched the seniors but it was notable that the majority of L-hops on show had the straight leg above horizontal. That memo has definitely got through.

Hezly Rivera was only at MG Elite for about a year when she was 11/12. She grew up as a gymnast (lvl 3 to Hopes @ 2018 US Classic) at ENA Paramus. Transferred to MG Elite in 2019 and didn’t compete that year. Competed as a level 10 three meets with MG Elite in Winter 2020 before the shut down. Then Haney was suspended and she transferred to WOGA. She’s been at WOGA since 2021.

Last edited:
Is this what you meant with your comment “The gymnast couldn’t even walk off the floor with the correct posture.”?

All gymnasts relax their posture the moment they step off the floor boundaries, and since she finished her routine right by the boundaries, she stepped off literally with the first step she took after she saluted, and so she relaxed her posture. Why do you think she did something wrong? Every gymnast does it.

I am not talking about a relaxed posture, I’m talking about poor posture. For a correctly trained gymnast, it’s near impossible to have poor posture, even when hanging around at the mall. They would have to do it deliberately. Her posture demonstrates a total lack of even the most basic fundamentals of gymnastics.

It has nothing to do with age, build or body type and everything to do with absolutely terrible coaching. Her lack of dance ability, whilst shocking, is not directly related to her inability to walk correctly. But obviously is something that would drastically improve with basic dance lessons even if she is someone who will always struggle with musicality.

I still cannot get over the choreography. It’s the sort of choreo I give my 5/6 year olds before they start using hand apparatus. She literally did the flex your legs in a shoulder stand thing. At an elite competition.

I would like to point you to some of the North Korean (I think it was) floor “dance” and “choreography” from the early 2000s if you want worse elite routines and presentation.

Yes, she needs to lower her shoulders, add some ballet, work on presentation, but she’s also probably 12 by the looks of it so she’s got a bit of time.
Now, if you were to take the person who chose her music to task… that’s by far the worst thing going on there.

Last edited:
She’s got time, so why on earth is she competing elite when there are still so many basics to sort

and she’s got those knees that never straighten. I wouldn’t put a kid with that issue near elite.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back