2023 Paris world cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Where there’s a dead space and the music changes is where I think the routine sinks a little.

The rhythm/tempo deduction is one that you can take for the routine as a whole, not for individual moments

I actually agree about barbosa’s music, which brings up a point: its that something that’s deductible somehow in itself? That feels very subjective/ unfair to the athlete. But it does play a role

So if you’re deducting .6 total, you saw 5 pauses and then an additional -0.1 for rhythm/tempo?

So if you’re deducting .6 total, you saw 5 pauses and then an additional -0.1 for rhythm/tempo?
No. Sorry, I mean both hesitations would incur .1 plus the two artistry deductions. They were both .3 at the very minimum. However, the artistry deduction would just come off once at the end, not for both hesitations. So for the two obvious hesitations it was .1 off each plus .2 artistry. So .4 at the just from the two hesitations that were obvious. There was also one during the mount that should be another deduction. Without the hesitations that could have been an 8.4/8.5 E score because it was very well executed.

While I don’t believe any existing deduction would apply specifically to music, it could certainly impact a number of other areas of artistry.

While I don’t believe any existing deduction would apply specifically to music, it could certainly impact a number of other areas of artistry.
Do you know examples of this artistry deduction? It surprised me because it seems to read like an outlier that judges the music is its own right, without relation to the performance of the gymnast. But I have no idea. 🤔

Do you know examples of this artistry deduction? It surprised me because it seems to read like an outlier that judges the music is its own right, without relation to the performance of the gymnast. But I have no idea. 🤔

View attachment 9793
I don’t believe that Jade’s music is deductible in itself. It does have structure and that’s clearly more for “this is elevator music” type routines and not “this music just really doesn’t suit you or show you to your best advantage.” The “background music” would be if the gymnast doesn’t engage with it, and the synchronization is also their interaction with it.

I do think the “no structure” was really just for things like atmospheric simplicity, elevator bland, repetitive beats with no direction, ect.

Last edited:
“No structure to the music” makes me think of Shawn Johnson’s 2008 music.

“No structure to the music” makes me think of Shawn Johnson’s 2008 music.
The music that she loved so much that she just had to use it?

Even that had some movement and structure to it, though, even though it didn’t really suit her style much.

Edit to add- I really wish someone had told her “maybe not for an Olympic year, but the year after, sure.”

Last edited:
The music that she loved so much that she just had to use it?

Even that had some movement and structure to it, though, even though it didn’t really suit her style much.

Edit to add- I really wish someone had told her “maybe not for an Olympic year, but the year after, sure.”
Yeah I guess I’m just confirming this weird fact that it seems to be the sole artistry deduction that could be applied in complete independence from the gymnast’s performance. Which is weird.

I actually like Shawn’s 2008 music a lot, but would hit her with at least the 1 tenth of background music, cuz those strings go through all kinds of swelling tempo changes while Shawn just carries about her day completely unaffected lol.

Yeah I guess I’m just confirming this weird fact that it seems to be the sole artistry deduction that could be applied in complete independence from the gymnast’s performance. Which is weird.

I actually like Shawn’s 2008 music a lot, but would hit her with at least the 1 tenth of background music, cuz those strings go through all kinds of swelling tempo changes while Shawn just carries about her day completely unaffected lol.
Yeah, Shawn’s interpretation of it was not, for me, very inspiring

repetitive beats
Uh oh, you’ve dared someone to use Bolero again (i know i trimmed what you actually said to try to be funny.)

I know i am in the minority in that i just don’t really notice the FX music unless it is something i directly recognize or is all car crash sounds (that was Shawn, right?). If you told me that Simone used a different cut every day of WC, I’d have to nod and agree with you because i couldn’t pick her music out if it ran me over with a bus.

Uh oh, you’ve dared someone to use Bolero again (i know i trimmed what you actually said to try to be funny.)

I know i am in the minority in that i just don’t really notice the FX music unless it is something i directly recognize or is all car crash sounds (that was Shawn, right?). If you told me that Simone used a different cut every day of WC, I’d have to nod and agree with you because i couldn’t pick her music out if it ran me over with a bus.
I actually like Bolero… in figure skating where the programs are long enough to do it justice

Lack of structure in editing speaks more to me about how something was put together than a particular choice by the composer. I think of 00s SEC routines in which you’d hear an a-musical jump cut to a different Top 40 song every eight seconds, rather than something that is just boring (which, while I agree with the WTC that music choice is part of the presentation and something fair to judge… it’s very possible to make a floor routine work with music that doesn’t have a ton of variety).

Lack of structure in editing speaks more to me about how something was put together than a particular choice by the composer. I think of 00s SEC routines in which you’d hear an a-musical jump cut to a different Top 40 song every eight seconds, rather than something that is just boring (which, while I agree with the WTC that music choice is part of the presentation and something fair to judge… it’s very possible to make a floor routine work with music that doesn’t have a ton of variety).
Yeah, IDK if there’s a WTC training video or memo explaining in greater length how this is supposed to be applied, but having ex-gymnasts judge the ‘structure’ of a musical piece – and factoring it into an execution score – is not something I think anyone was asking for…

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back