2023 Paris world cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It depends on where they want to take the artistry. It is judged in figure skating, but clearly artistry means a bit more in that sport. My only qualms with music come when it is clear that the music is actually detrimental to the performance.

Lauren Mitchell had some fantastic (not really) elevator music. I can’t remember if it was 2009 or 2010 but it felt like it was just… there. THAT had no structure and just droned on.

Shawn’s 2007 music was much more “her” than that 2008 car-horn-honking monstrosity. I guess she felt like she needed something dramatic to compete with Nastia’s Dark Eyes… so she decided on the soundtrack to a car crash? That music did have some structure to it but was just, well, bad.

I think people are being unfair when describing Shawn’s 2008 music. It’s from August Rush and it literally had nothing to do with a car crash. It’s when August conducts his rhapsody. He was inspired by the sounds of the city. Unfortunately, YouTube only has the last 4 1/2 minutes of the scene, which is the part of the song Shawn didn’t use. People who’ve seen the movie love it because it tells the story of August Rush from beginning to end, which I guess technically involved a car accident, but there’s no actual car crash sounds in the song.

Last edited:
I think people are being unfair when describing Shawn’s 2008 music. It’s from August Rush and it literally had nothing to do with a car crash. It’s when August conducts his rhapsody. He was inspired by the sounds of the city. Unfortunately, YouTube only has the last 4 1/2 minutes of the scene, which is the part of the song Shawn didn’t use. People who’ve seen the movie love it because it tells the story of August Rush from beginning to end, which I guess technically involved a car accident, but there’s no actual car crash sounds in the song.
Or, maybe, if you are challenging for an Olympic AA and FX title, and want audiences then and in the future to respond in a positive way to your routine, you shouldn’t select music that will require them to have researched the plot of an obscure movie?

Whether “car crash” sounds were involved or not doesn’t actually matter - that most people heard them or associate the routine with them does. There are thousands of sounds to choose, and she chose “sounds of the city” that did include horns and ambulances. Car crash or not, emergency vehicles driving through the middle of Shawn Johnson’s leaps were never going to lend themselves well to a timeless, classic routine.

Last edited:
Or, maybe, if you are challenging for an Olympic AA and FX title, and want audiences then and in the future to respond in a positive way to your routine, you shouldn’t select music that will require them to have researched the plot of an obscure movie?

Whether “car crash” sounds were involved or not doesn’t actually matter - that most people heard them or associate the routine with them does. There are thousands of sounds to choose, and she chose “sounds of the city” that did include horns and ambulances. Car crash or not, emergency vehicles driving through the middle of Shawn Johnson’s leaps were never going to lend themselves well to a timeless, classic routine.
Candidate for post of the year

Yes. That’s a routine I’ll never be compelled to watch again.

… Are people just not remembering Shawn’s routine? I just watched it three times because I didn’t remember any car crash sounds, and the music is like 99% string instruments the entire time. There’s exactly 5 seconds (I counted) where the orchestra imitates something like a siren while she does a piece of floor choreo. Then it’s right back to strings.

… Are people just not remembering Shawn’s routine? I just watched it three times because I didn’t remember any car crash sounds, and the music is like 99% string instruments the entire time. There’s exactly 5 seconds (I counted) where the orchestra imitates something like a siren while she does a piece of floor choreo. Then it’s right back to strings.
People just like to target Shawn because that’s what they do, at this point. At least, the gymnastics fandom isn’t as bad as the figure skating fandom when it comes to music. Figure skating fans like to complain when someone chooses something out of the box and then they wonder why skaters choose war horses so often.

I’m not sure where others are getting ambulance noises from. I’m fine with others not liking the routine, but blatantly being obtuse about her music is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
I hadn’t watched that routine for yonks. Two internal music crescendos being paired with some of the less visually impressive skills (single L spin, twisting combo pass) is a bit incongruent. Those skills probably were harder for Johnson than her double double though!

Last edited:
I thought “car crash” was used to portray how jangled the music felt. Not literal car crash sounds. As Rafiki said the motions and music feel incongruent. As best I can remember it feels like sounds were forced together then layered with movement not suited to the music.

Last edited:
I thought “car crash” was used to portray how jangled the music felt. Not literal car crash sounds. As Rafiki said the motions and music feel incongruent. As best I can remember it feels like sounds were forced together then layered with movement not suited to the music.
Possibly, in the movie, during that part it cuts to August’s dad who’s stuck in traffic.

People just like to target Shawn because that’s what they do, at this point.
I don’t think people like to “target” Shawn.

She opens herself up to various criticism because she blatantly lies, wildly embellishes stories, or is just inaccurate.

She stated she was the 2008 Olympic Team captain (Sacramone was).
She stated everyone and USAG expected her to get 5 gold medals in Beijing (How when she didn’t have a 2nd vault/was she supposed to win bars??).
On several occasions she claimed Sandra Izbasa was German.
She claimed that USAG and Marta made her a lock for the 2012 Olympic Team, but her knee wouldn’t hold up.
She stated that she was in 10th place going into the final rotation in the Beijing AA.
She claimed to be the youngest girl on the Olympic Team (that was actually Bridget Sloan)
She stated she competed at the 2011 Worlds and did “pretty well”.
She thought MyKayla Skinner was actually Alyssa Baumann.

It doesn’t help that her husband fan boy’s her statements and reactions.

So this kind of stuff post gymnastics career also makes people question Shawn Johnson, aside from her actual gymnastics, which they might not care for.

She opens herself up to various criticism because she blatantly lies, wildly embellishes stories, or is just inaccurate.

She stated everyone and USAG expected her to get 5 gold medals in Beijing (How when she didn’t have a 2nd vault/was she supposed to win bars??).
She claimed that USAG and Marta made her a lock for the 2012 Olympic Team, but her knee wouldn’t hold up.
She stated that she was in 10th place going into the final rotation in the Beijing AA.
She claimed to be the youngest girl on the Olympic Team (that was actually Bridget Sloan)

So this kind of stuff post gymnastics career also makes people question Shawn Johnson, aside from her actual gymnastics, which they might not care for.
Okay, I understand disliking her because of that stuff, but misinterpreting/exaggerating her floor music bugs me because I’ve actually seen the movie and her floor music is a lot less offensive than some of the stuff I’ve heard in NCAA and Roberson’s this year. I guess this might be the one piece of music where my taste doesn’t align with everyone else’s. It happens.

Last edited:

This will never stop being funny to me

I honestly think people remember shawn’s music as being disjointed because the routine is. If you’d listen to the music on its own it would feel a little whimsical at times maybe. She does the whole thing no favors, the choreo was super weird and disjointed, which is what i feel spills into the way people remember the music

I’ve seen August Rush and saw it long before Shawn chose it for her FX music. Nothing about the final rhapsody says floor music. A gymnast with better musicality, rhythm, and dance ability could have possibly turned that routine into something much nicer, but as it stands, it’s incredibly disjointed. The music plays and Shawn is going at the beat of her own drum.

I think the brass section is where people hear “sirens,” as I believe it is meant to be evocative of them? Regardless, I actually liked Shawn’s gymnastics. This floor routine just didn’t do it for me. If she could have done a double or triple turn on the music crescendo, that might’ve helped a lot, but the slower single turn really stuck out as anticlimactic, things like that. It didn’t suit her as well as other music might’ve.

I think the brass section is where people hear “sirens,” as I believe it is meant to be evocative of them? Regardless, I actually liked Shawn’s gymnastics. This floor routine just didn’t do it for me. If she could have done a double or triple turn on the music crescendo, that might’ve helped a lot, but the slower single turn really stuck out as anticlimactic, things like that. It didn’t suit her as well as other music might’ve.
She used to attempt double L turns, but it never really worked for her, couldn’t hold her leg up at horizontal long enough. She’s a gymnast on floor that 8 skills would have been much better than 10. I think the code transition from 2005 to 2006 both helped and harmed her. I enjoyed her variety of tumbling skills and clean form on them, but her dance skills were never as good as I wished they were. Sometimes, I think I was only drawn to Shawn because I liked Nastia’s gymnastics less, especially later in her career. I’ll be the first to admit I think of my other faves from the 00s, Raducan and Patterson, more fondly than I do Shawn now. I think I just know what it’s like to really want to use a piece of music from a movie that I like, even if it might not work as floor music. Thankfully I like a lot of music, so it wasn’t difficult for me to find pieces of music that I curated from gymnasts over the years.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back