2022 Doha World Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

So it must have been awkward…they had separate medal ceremonies for the Russians.

Nora Peresztegi has a lot of potential as well. Wondering how she will factor into Hungary’s teams.
I do believe that Hungary can qualify a full team to Paris as they have a lot of talent but just need to hit beam. Peresztegi might be that beam queen they need.

Vladislava Urazova - Balance Beam (Finals)

Acro:

1 x E (layout stepout mount)
3 x D (aerial, Onodi, side aerial)
1 x C (double twist dismount)

Total Acro DV - 2.0

Dance:

1 x E (Mitchell)
2 x C (switch leap, full turn with free leg in Y scale)

Total Dance DV - 1.1

CV / Series Bonus

switch leap + full turn with leg in Y scale + 1 1/2 turn (C + C dance, and C + A turns) = 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

aerial + split jump + Onodi (D + B + D) = 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

round off + back handspring + double twist (B + B + C) = 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 0.7

Dismount Bonus

None

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + full turn with leg in Y scale or sissone + wolf jump
Turn - Mitchell
Acro Series with Salto - Missing (intended back handspring stepout + back handspring stepout + layout stepout)
Acro Elements in Different Directions - back handspring stepout + aerial

Total D - 3.1 + 0.7 + 1.5 = 5.3

Elements or Connections Not Credited

aerial + split jump - Arm swing / pause before moving into the split jump

split jump + Onodi - Arm swing / pause before moving into the Onodi (-0.2 in CV and -0.1 in SB)

Total D - 3.1 + 0.4 + 1.5 = 5.0

Deductions

layout stepout mount
(insufficient height) 0.1

back handspring stepout
(adjustment) 0.1

switch leap + full turn with leg in Y scale
(poor rhythm of connection) 0.1

full turn with leg in Y scale + 1 1/2 turn

aerial
(bent knee) 0.1

Onodi
(small balance adjustment) 0.1

Mitchell
(excessive preparation / extra arm swing before turn) 0.1

side aerial
(flexed feet) 0.1
(small balance adjustment) 0.1

sissone

sissone + wolf jump

adjustment / unnecessary movement prior to dismount series (0.1)

double twist
(crossed legs) 0.1
(hop on landing) 0.1

Artistry
  • Insufficient involvement of body parts (0.1)
  • Insufficient variation in rhythm and tempo (0.1)
Total Deductions - (1.6) 8.4 / Actual 8.200

Nora Peresztegi - Balance Beam (Finals)

Acro:

1 x E (layout to two feet)
2 x D (side somi, side aerial)
2 x C (front walk over mount, double twist dismount)

Total Acro DV - 1.9

Dance:

2 x D (double turn, switch leap 1/2)
1 x C (switch leap)

Total Dance DV - 1.1

CV / Series Bonus

round off + layout to two feet (B + E) = 0.1 CV

Total CV / SB = 0.1

Dismount Bonus

None

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + wolf jump
Turn - double turn
Acro Series with Salto - round off + layout to two feet
Acro Elements in Different Directions - side somi, layout to two feet

Total D - 3.0 + 0.1 + 2.0 = 5.1

Elements or Connections Not Credited

layout ot two feet - Credit as pike / pike in hips prior to passing through vertical (-0.2 in DV and -0.1 in CV)

Total D - 2.8 + 0.0 + 2.0 = 4.8

Deductions

side somi
(insufficient tuck position) 0.3 (0.3 due to one leg being bent and one leg being straight)
(flexed feet) 0.1

double turn
(excessive prepration) 0.1
(balance error) 0.1

adjustment / unnecessary movement, before round off 0.1

layout to two feet / back pike
(inexactness of pike position) 0.1
(body posture / low chest on landing) 0.1
(medium balance adjustment) 0.3

switch leap
(body posture) 0.1

switch leap + wolf jump

switch leap 1/2
(body posture) 0.3 (insufficient split and undefined arm position)

double twist
(crossed legs) 0.1
(hop on landing) 0.1

Artistry
  • More than one 1/2 turn on 2 feet with straight legs (0.1)
  • Insufficient involvement of body parts (0.1)
  • Insufficient variation in rhythm and tempo (0.1)
Total Deductions - (2.3) 7.7 / Actual 7.933

so of course this kind of shit had to happen:

he’s had disciplinary proceedings opened. I mean, it doesn’t matter cause they are banned already anyways. But hey, just in case it was all getting too calm for ya

This is one of those things I read with my hands over my face. I’m not excusing his behaviour at all. It was an offensive, needlessly provocative thing to do, for which he deserved to be punished.

However, I feel the context of both the immediate and wider context is important. Were I a teenage boy with a Polish surname and an exemption from conscription, I’d probably feel I had something to prove. Add to that the events in Doha where Ukraine tried to get Russia kicked from the competition, even though it was already known that the ban would be active from Monday. Something that the Russian delegation only found out about whilst there and were understandably upset. An agreement was reached where no Russian flags or symbols would be permitted. And Kuliak decided to cover his logo with the Z symbol.

I mean I can understand him being 20, being in the army, whatever. It’s just stupid and unnecessary. I don’t think he’s satan or anything, I just wished these things wouldn’t happen.
Kovtun looks so awkward up there.
yeah I was wondering too does he know? Is this a “symbol” he’d understand?

I don’t know if he even noticed it at the time. It was going to be awkward regardless. I’m unsure why the women had separate ceremonies but not the men.

Oleg Verniaiev was posting about it on social media pretty quickly after it happened though.

I hadn’t picked up that he had a Polish surname.

For the women, I read that Batrona had requested it, so if Kovtun didn’t then that would explain the difference between the two. I can certainly see why he might fancy making a Russian athlete he’s just beaten stand on the podium listening to the Ukrainian national anthem.

But also, I wondered if the relevant WAGs all being 16 year olds might have made a difference. There’s an obvious argument for being very careful with minors in this situation.

However, I feel the context of both the immediate and wider context is important. Were I a teenage boy with a Polish surname and an exemption from conscription, I’d probably feel I had something to prove. Add to that the events in Doha where Ukraine tried to get Russia kicked from the competition, even though it was already known that the ban would be active from Monday. Something that the Russian delegation only found out about whilst there and were understandably upset. An agreement was reached where no Russian flags or symbols would be permitted. And Kuliak decided to cover his logo with the Z symbol.
I understand all of this. But he is 20. Still young, still a kid in my eyes anyway but he is not 16 and he is certainly old enough to understand that behavior has consequences.

This story is getting a lot of traction. I’ve seen it covered by UK tabloids, broadsheets and Sky TV over the last couple of days. It’s the fifth story on the Guardian news app right now.

Last edited:
Related, it was just posted on CNN, too.

The quote from Rodienenko makes clear enough, I think, that he knew exactly what he was doing. MANY symbols he could put or just plain colors or whatever. But he chose this.

In fact, I would not be surprised if he chose the Z because he figured many non-Russians wouldn’t know what it represented but that many Russians would.

I did have to look up his age and was surprised that he is 20. He’s younger-looking than he actually is.

Last edited:
The federation is not exactly handling this well…
Marina Ulyankina (coach of Paseka) is on VK saying that Watanabe needs to be reminded of Hiroshima…

I’m sorry, but talk like that should mean an instant ban from any FIG accredited events.

Stay the fuck in Russia.

They aren’t. They followed up many statements that politics and sport should never mix by using the medal podium to voice support for Russia’s military (at the gentlest interpretation), and then doubled down on this action afterwards. I don’t know how they could have possibly made this (irrelevant!) World Cup meet a bigger political deal.

Their comments about how they were upset that Ukraine didn’t want them there come off poorly. Being upset is fine, but being upset with Ukraine?

They’ve certainly made it much harder for any sport to want to extend opportunities to Russian athletes.

Last edited:
At some point in the future when the war is over they will have a harder time getting reinstated because of this kind of thing.

At least the Chinese are cynical and smart about this kind of thing, like when they go all woke. But this move from Russia has been backed by all of 4 countries in the world. This is not the hill to die on, i feel. But, im also not 20 and in the military so I’m a bit torn. The federation on the other hand :man_facepalming:t3:

Last edited:
Yeah, tactically they’ve played it just about as badly as possible. If you want to make the argument that politics and sports should be kept separate and punishing blameless young athletes is wrong, that’s doable, but you then have to go for the classy, professional, everything by the book approach.

Ivan Kuliak is not in the military, I don’t even think he’s from an army sports club, I’m sure he’s Dinamo. Like all international class athletes, he is exempt from conscription.

I thought i read somewhere. But really at this point i just skim through things…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back