Worlds Qualifier: 2022 Pan American Gymnastics Championships Rio de Janerio, BRA 7/11-7/15

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Do we know if Andrade is working fx at all with a goal of AA Worlds?

Team finals will be very close on Sunday.
If you add back the 2 falls USA had to count on BB, they would have won today by .499 and Brazil had a strong meet with no misses that I am aware of, at least none that counted.

Curious if DiCello will attempt the DTY or if they will leave her off.
IF the line up is by scores today here is their TF lineup
VT Blakely, Mueller, Zeiss
UB Zeiss, Blakely, Miller
BB Mueller, Blakely, Zeiss
FX Zeiss, Blakely, DiCello

Was the format 4/3? Brazil had two falls on bars. Should be exciting on Sunday.

Was the format 4/3? Brazil had two falls on bars.
It was 4 up 3 count. I thought those were regular E scores.
Soares went 7.00 and Pedro went 6.867. If that is with 1.000 deduction for a fall that is ridiculous overscoring.
I have to admit I didn’t get to see the routines.

The stream didn’t show any of it but Sydney Turner from Canada ended up just 0.333 short of an AA medal.

Julia Soares missed out on a beam medal by the two per country rule.

Karla Navas won vault gold but only just made Worlds, 11th of 11 qualifiers. That would be a strange situation if she missed out. First to miss out was Olivia Kelly who represents Barbados but apparently lives in the US - she had three very good scores for that level but got a 7.167 (with 3.067 E) on bars.

Last edited:
I’m no judge but the E-scores do seem particularly high for the Brazilians. And they definitely had two falls on UB.
Ok …yeah I just watched both routines. There is NO WAY that Soares should have gone 8.00/4.2=12.200 for that routine. Every single skill was done with leg separations, at least two missed handstands, and one of the handstands on the high bar we couldn’t see her feet to know if there was a separation or not.
Either way, I had Soares at 5.800 with the fall 5.800+4.2=10.000
Guess it doesn’t matter as that score was dropped anyway.

Also Pedro was given 6.867/4.6= 11.467, I had her at 6.00/4.6= 10.600 so a .8 difference.

Both were ridiculously over scored but especially Soares compared to Miller who had a 7.633 for her hit set.

Thank you. I was close to that panel for E deductions on all three (Miller, Soares and Pedro). I had 2,3 for Miller, 3,1 for Soares and 3,2 for Pedro.

Remember that if there is fall on an element and the element does not receive a value then only the fall is deducted.

Thank you. I was close to that panel for E deductions on all three (Miller, Soares and Pedro). I had 2,3 for Miller, 3,1 for Soares and 3,2 for Pedro.
I had Miller at a 7.3. But I am typically harsher on bars than others, it also depends on the camera angle.

Either way, Pedro and Soares definitely received beneficial scoring. Soares has deductions on every single element that she does, I didn’t see any skill done with legs together or separation.

Yes, but remember that, example, if the legs are apart at the start of a Maloney and then again on the catch and then again on the upswing, it it only one time 0,1 (or 0,3 if they are really open) per skill.

Yes, but remember that, example, if the legs are apart at the start of a Maloney and then again on the catch and then again on the upswing, it it only one time 0,1 (or 0,3 if they are really open) per skill.
Right, that is what I was saying. Every single skill has built in deductions and most of them are .3.

Okay, we can agree to disagree. That is why there are 5 (soon to be 7) E judges!
It only takes a few .1 instead of .3/.3 instead of .1 to make a 1.0-.9 difference in E score.
Funny how it can add up fast.

I am curious what the individual score breakdowns were specifically for bars.

The dozen or so routines on the other events are very much in line with me. I thought vault was pretty dead on. A few times I went higher than the actual E score. For example, I had Andrade at 9.6 for her DTY.

Last edited:
Do we know if Andrade is working fx at all with a goal of AA Worlds?
No.
Andrade has stated that she is not doing floor in 2022 to save her knees for the 2024 Olympics.
At this point she is not even training FX. Which is a shame because based on her other 3 scores, a two pass floor routine ala Netherlands would probably get her AA gold. Open with a double tuck and close with a 1 1/2 front full and some C and D dance and she’s golden.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back