Worlds 2021- WAG prelims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Not sure if it was mentioned upstream and I am trying to catch up while I scarf lunch down.
Urasova is doing AA tomorrow. Minaeva bars only and Vorona beam only.

This is just so frustrating to judge. After the big wobble on the Layout, she gave up. Literally just didn’t give a shit about the rest of the routine. You could see it in her Split Straddle. I never take a tenth on her Straddle, and here I did. And now it looks like she might have been 2perd out of finals by one third of a tenth.

From the get-go, she looked terrified. Look at her trying to get up from sitting on the beam to stand: she balked the straddle swing up! Insane.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said “given up”. Maybe “terrified” is the right word.

She just looked done. Like the only thing she wanted in her whole life was to get off that beam.

Last edited:
This is my suspicion too, and it’s not hard to conceive of a situation where it costs them an AA medal. It’s Melnikova’s to lose if she stays on her feet, but Urazova could miss out on bronze to one of the Americans in a way that wouldn’t have happened if the Tokyo pen were used.

Yeah I wonder if this might not be one of the best outcomes for Konnor, thinking long term. She wasn’t properly ready for these worlds. Beam was a hit, but not enough of one to stop her from being 2 per’d out, so she’s still hungry. She’s had enough of a glimpse of both success and failure to keep motivating her, whilst also removing the risk of a complete splat in the pressure of a final she wasn’t prepared for.

How do the judges decide how strict they’re going to be? Is there a meeting beforehand where the decision is made about what kind of pen they’ll being using?

Kayla didn’t get a one touch warm up on bars because Frazier and Wong went overtime in their touches. Unbelievable.

Tom was not on the floor but three coaches were Strauss, Armine, Hill all of whom are not rookies.
However, Tom as NTC is to blame as there is clearly a lack of structure (which we have known for a while)

Last edited:
I just do not get how 3 very experienced coaches failed to properly manage one-touch! Hill has been at more worlds and Olympics than I can count on two hands, how did she mess this up so badly?

I’m always happy to bash Tom, but how is this his fault? Not only are these veteran coaches who know the rules and have managed one-touch at multiple worlds and Olympics, these athletes have been doing one-touch since they were little compulsories. An absolutely failure all around, but for once, this isn’t because of Tom.

I’m always happy to bash Tom, but how is this his fault? Not only are these veteran coaches who know the rules and have managed one-touch at multiple worlds and Olympics, these athletes have been doing one-touch since they were little compulsories. An absolutely failure all around, but for once, this isn’t because of Tom.
As head of the program he is ultimately responsible.

USAG as a whole is just repeating the mistakes made under Marta’s tenure. This time around we are repeating the Hollie Vise bib fiasco.

Tom is responsible for making sure everyone is prepared. I think this is on him if they hadn’t talked about how they were going to handle warmups and gone through practices with timed touches before Worlds, but otherwise it’s just a game time mistake made by the coaches on the floor. It seems highly unlikely that they wouldn’t have had some dress rehearsals in training given that this is the Worlds debut for everyone and the senior international debut for all but Leanne (right?), but… who knows.

Really encouraging sign for Kayla’s future that she got through that routine well. She doesn’t look like her confidence got wrecked by her missed routines this summer - quite the opposite, in fact.

Kayla competed as a senior at Scam. She also went to junior worlds. So not senior, but a very similar environment.

Emjae competed at the Friendship and Solidarity weird format competition in late 2020.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back