Vladislava Urazova AA

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The only thing all Americans agree on is that Dolly Parton is a national treasure. After that…we can’t even agree that the earth isn’t flat, so yeah, can’t use a blanket “Americans say…” for anything.

We (we’re Americans) lived in Mongolia for a while and most people thought we lived in Africa. I can name maybe 5 Americans I’ve ever met that I have not personally informed that knew there were in fact people of Asian / Turkic ethnic descent in Russia.

I’m as well informed as pretty much any American in this realm of ethnicity and demographics without overtly studying it, and I had a vague inkling that Urazova might not be a Slavic Russian name (and I’ve learned some Russian), but I had no idea or inkling that Akhaimova was Jewish or from Vladivostok. It would require a level of context or study or interest that just, nobody frankly has over here.

I found out she was from Vladivostock reading a translated interview a couple of weeks ago. They were basically saying it was a big achievement because the facilities weren’t as good there, and she’d had to move for her training. Hadn’t known previously.

Well, yeah. I teach Asian history at a local college. Many undergrads–and even some professors–don’t know that Taiwan and Thailand are two different countries. Makes for some verrrry interesting map quizzes, that’s for sure.

After that…we can’t even agree that the earth isn’t flat, so yeah, can’t use a blanket “Americans say…” for anything.
I think you meant to say “that the earth IS flat” …

(ducks)

That’s sad. I loved geography as a kid, and it confuses me that many Americans lack basic knowledge about the continents. Hell, I’m still learning myself in some ways, including about Canada.

Last edited:
I have a Taiwanese friend who has been told by multiple people how they love Thai curry when she tells them that she was born in Taiwan.

I’ve given map quizzes myself at churches. Once had an elderly man label India as Africa.
Have had multiple people leave the entire thing blank.
Have had numerous people mislabel or leave blank countries that I know they’ve been in.

Not being snobbish but I very much think geography and demographics are… Important.

I haven’t been in the States for a while but i got many references to Latin America when l told people i was Spanish :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But I’m still more amazed at Germans and Swiss trying to throw Italian words at me when i say I’m Spanish :man_shrugging:t2:

but I think it’s useful to remember that the racial classifications used in the US aren’t used everywhere and don’t do a very good job at describing the situation and dynamics in a lot of societies.
Yes but that’s a completely different point than the one originally raised.

What are you defining as the original point here?

And @Seyonne, I’m exactly the same! Love love love really old maps. I saw one the other week of Ireland and the west coast of Britain, from about 1600, and could’ve pored over it for hours. The power that cartographers used to have is something else.

Ok. Both issues had been raised well before I posted, though. No reason not to comment on both.

No, I don’t think it’s a rebuttal of your point. They both seem to co-exist fine to me? I have a sore head from a misbehaving sinus though, I could be missing something obvious.

I plan on moving to Taiwan for a few years and whenever I say this, people keep thinking I’m talking about Thailand…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back