UCLA, Alexis Jeffery, gymnasts calling out athletic director

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

You should listen to the podcast because it’s not just that. Wright explained to Jeffrey that she shouldn’t use the N word before the group training in question, and Jeffrey stopped using it around her, which gave her teammates hope. But then they compared notes, and others said she was still using it, despite them having also told her not to.

This was before any song. Just in conversation she used the n word. Frazier and Wright didn’t specify if she was calling anyone the word, but she was using it, apparently regularly.

Last edited:
This was before any song. Just in conversation she used the n word. Frazier and Wright didn’t specify if she was calling anyone the word, but she was using it, apparently regularly.
Ok. Obviously that’s awful, if true. And, if true, LSU shouldn’t even want to take her.

To my knowledge, none of the UCLA gymnasts reported the music was offensive.
However, from all the accounts posted, this was the first alleged aggression. AJ was singing the N word in music lyrics.

Some athletes took offense to her singing the lyrics, another white gymnast told her to apologize. She refused.
Then it spiraled from that point.

ETA: The music was not reported that itself was offensive, it was reported that one gymnast singing the N word part of the lyrics was offensive.

Last edited:
You are being far more patient than I can be. As soon as someone tries to delegitimize or discount my opinion, perspective or voice by calling it “ loaded with privilege and fragility” I simply lose interest in any further communication. It’s the kind of thing people do when they are not able to fashion a good or compelling or intelligent argument. It’s akin to name calling. It is also inherently a bullying tactic and
I have no time for it.

If lyrics and people singing them can be this divisive and reports say it was then the staff needs to look at the music. I don’t give a crap about offensive words in music normally and I bet no one else here does either. In this context though the lyrics are a part of what caused the issue. Remove the offensive thing and you remove a problem. That’s why the music is being discussed.

Last edited:
If this is the case, and may very well might have happened given a quote that Jeffrey allegedly stated “this is how we all talk back home” and the word was used in every day conversation… then it is racist and inexcusable.

However, AJ singing the N word in music lyrics seems to be the forefront of the complaint.

Last edited:
You are being far more patient than I can be. As soon as someone tries to delegitimize or discount my opinion, perspective or voice by calling it “ loaded with privilege and fragility” I simply lose interest in any further communication. It’s the kind of thing people do when they are not able to fashion a good or compelling or intelligent argument. It’s akin to name calling. It is also inherently a bullying tactic and
I have no time for it.
You’ve just described Twitter. And there’s a whole generation of kids and young adults growing up on it. It’s terrifying.

Last edited:
However, from all the accounts posted, this was the first alleged aggression. AJ was singing the N word in music lyrics.

Some athletes took offense to her singing the lyrics, another white gymnast told her to apologize. She refused.
Then it spiraled from that point.

ETA: The music was not reported that itself was offensive, it was reported that one gymnast singing the N word part of the lyrics was offensive.
Yes, many posters above were arguing that the music itself is offensive for using that word–that’s what I was responding to.
If this is the case, and may very well might have happened given a quote that Jeffrey allegedly stated “this is how we all talk back home” and the word was used in every day conversation… then it is racist and inexcusable.

However, AJ singing the N word in music lyrics seems to be the forefront of the complaint.
I think the complaint is primarily with regards to UCLA coaching, AD, and admin. Frazier and Wright have well wishes for Jeffrey

Last edited:
If lyrics and people singing them can be this divisive and reports say it was then the staff needs to look at the music. I don’t give a crap about offensive words in music normally and I bet no one else here does either. In this context though the lyrics are a part of what caused the issue. Remove the offensive thing and you remove a problem. That’s why the music is being discussed.
The offensive thing was the non-Black person using the word. Education removes the problem. The music shouldn’t need to change to appease people; people should become more tolerant and respectful.

Appeasing people isn’t the issue. Education took place and education was ongoing. Education is lifelong thing no matter what. But when a team is this divided IMO things need to be done right away.

I don’t think the coaches handled the situation properly, is what I’m alluding to when I bring up education. I don’t think education properly took place.

I think that’s a false equivalence and you know it. The two words have very different histories. I know you have strong feelings about the word and of course I would never use it around you and would absolutely admonish anyone around you for not respecting your feelings.

I’m sorry if I come off harsh about this topic, but it’s something I feel very strongly about. Anyone is free to use the “ignore/block” feature on me. It’s the best act of self care you can do for yourself.

Posting as a moderator:

I’m finding myself lost in the range of opinions. Specific to issue of playing music in the gym, is the summary below of people’s opinions complete? If not, please add to it.
  1. “The n-word should never be used in music.”
  2. “Music with the n-word is fine in some spaces but not in others, such as a gymn.”
  3. “Music with the n-word is fine in shared spaces, but not in spaces that people claim to be inclusive.”
  4. “The music is fine, even in an inclusive space. Non-black people should simply skip the n-word.”
  5. “It’s just singing a song lyric, so it’s not a problem.” Actually, maybe I saw that somewhere else, not here…
And there seem to be two “becauses” people have offered:
(a) “because many black people find the word offensive”
(b) “because non-black people can’t say the n-word”

Last edited:
Posting as a member:

I agree that “queer” and the n-word have different histories. I also dislike the word “queer” (I had such a WTF moment the first time someone used it in an non-offensive way in reference to me, back in 1996) but it has come to be an accepted term. I myself use it fairly often in my work, albeit with a deep breath and a wish that another word had come to the fore.

I think the n-word and f-word (not “fuck”… the other one) are closer to parallel. However, the n-word is more common in consumer music. So it’s hard to argue based on a parallel.

So I think we have to look at the situation on its own basis.

You mean where he balked at “A large group of (presumably) non-black people deciding whether or not a group of black gymnasts had the right to feel offended by the use of the n-word in a specific context. That’s not for us to decide.“ and then proceeds to instruct you as to how offended you are or are not allowed to feel at the use of a term historically used to disparage a minority group to which you belong?

I’m fucking out of here. I clearly do not have the communication skills to get my point across, but openly mocking me to someone else (not even directly to me?) is just uncalled for.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back