UCLA, Alexis Jeffery, gymnasts calling out athletic director

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That type of music should not be played in the gym. period. Not only does it contain the N word which is reprehensible IMHO but also because it contains language that is derogatory towards all women (B word, C word etc). Those “artists” who write and sing this absolute trash (again IMO) should not be promoted in a gym full of women. Either no music or kids bop or classical or jazz or whatever. There are lots of options out there in the music world that don’t contain lyrics that use this language. IMO the coach, athletic director, and team are all at fault for continuing to play this trash. And AJ is most at fault for not apologizing and doing better. BUT WHY DID THEY KEEP PLAYING THE MUSIC? They said she did it “multiple times” and on more than one occasion. That implies they kept playing the song! What is literally wrong with them? WHY would they do that? If the lyric is offensive, then you do not continue to play the freaking song! And the lyrics ARE offensive.

Totally agree that music that uses racist or other discriminatory language should not be used at practices. I’m sure that the team could come up with a suitable playlist .
BUT WHY DID THEY KEEP PLAYING THE MUSIC? They said she did it “multiple times” and on more than one occasion. That implies they kept playing the song! What is literally wrong with them? WHY would they do that? If the lyric is offensive, then you do not continue to play the freaking song! And the lyrics ARE offensive.
Did they keep on playing the music? The articles I read alleged that it wasn’t just the music but that there were racial slurs used against Blacks and Asians in other contexts so I assumed that the additional issues related to these and not that they played the music on repeat

I don’t have a dog in the game either. However… I’m guessing that they aren’t playing “kid’s bop” at college parties.

I can sing it but you’re not allowed to.
It comes across as very Mean Girls “you can’t sit with us”.
IF they continued to play the music after the first incident.

We still don’t have full accounts of what happened and all the details are swirled around.

Marz first interviewed with AJ was doing/saying all these things.
Then in a later interview she stated that she hadn’t heard or seen any of the accusations just what other gymnasts had told her.
So even her account has changed somewhat from what I thought was first hand knowledge and experience to she knew about it second hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dex
Interesting.
7 of the gymnasts from this past year signed the letter, 4 of whom are continuing on the team.

I completely agree. The situation was always going to be far more nuanced to be conveyed in a tweet or facebook post. It’s unfortunate that some people on Twitter/Reddit are now going on how some of these people are secret racists and the freshmen are in their own private clique.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back