UCLA, Alexis Jeffery, gymnasts calling out athletic director

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think it’s shitty of Jay to accept her transfer, if he in fact did, under these circumstances since it’d put his black student athletes in an incredibly uncomfortable position, plus Jeffrey isn’t even that good a recruit to risk this blowing up the way it likely will for ucla.

Waller is not handling this well however, not much is said about the behavior of Jefferey. How gros, why would any school take her into their teams, she clearly is a bad seed to have in your team.

The situation grows more feverish, depressing, and downright bizarre by the hour. That “press conference” was USAG-level bad. Clearly, numerous athletes are not being affirmed somehow.

I honestly can’t keep track of all the follow-up posts. Anyways, I wonder if UCLA will even compete, and if they do, it seems it’ll be with Kristina and Dom?

Assuming I’m correctly understanding the situation based on the scattered series of tweets I’ve seen (!), I feel bad for the athletes. It sounds like they tried to do the right thing, only to run into institutional self-preservation and apathy. And from an institution that has gone out of its way to “promote” and “support” diversity. How demoralising for them.

Assuming I’m correctly understanding the situation based on the scattered series of tweets I’ve seen (!), I feel bad for the athletes. It sounds like they tried to do the right thing, only to run into institutional self-preservation and apathy. And from an institution that has gone out of its way to “promote” and “support” diversity. How demoralising for them.
Absolutely, and the main task at hand is the institutional failure at multiple levels to resolve grave athlete concerns. It’s very sad. I can’t remember such a dizzying scandal unfolding. Norah Flatley suggests this has been a 3+ month affair.

Where I’m getting lost are all the bizarre “side” posts alleging retaliation, bullying conspiracies, vandalism, and lawyers, plus a bunch of gymternet people on social media trying to make it all about themselves and their personal drama with each other. Bonus points for the pundit class saying they knew the entire time and were just waiting for the athletes to speak up.

That sounds about right. I’ve only just picked up on this in the last few hours, and haven’t seen the press conference, but what I can discern is that it’s a shitshow.

Bonus points for the pundit class saying they knew the entire time and were just waiting for the athletes to speak up.
Classic Twitter, can’t have a controversy without the Twitterati getting snotty about how it was obvious all along.

I moved over all the posts pertaining to this from the Social Media Megathread since it has a separate post.
But now the earlier posts appear at the end of the thread and I am unsure how to change it to reflect the correct chronological order.

@falcon9 any assistance here?

I’ll look and see what I can figure out.

Reactions: L_R
Bam!

bam yes GIF

I had assumed that Jeffery would be sitting out the rest of the year at home and going to LSU in the fall, simply because of the timing. Never assume. She is at LSU now, practicing with the team and Jay Clark says she’s eligible to compete this season.

Reactions: L_R

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back