UCLA, Alexis Jeffery, gymnasts calling out athletic director

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

We should at least figure out what actually happened before commencing the twitter hysteria pile-on and demanding certain people resign and worse.
Context absolutely does matter. And getting sketchy reports without concrete facts and details is not a basis for jumping on a bandwagon. It becomes a mob mentality which is not the way to get at either truth or justice.

Yes, one is worse than the other. But in the context of how the situation was/should have been handled, my opinion doesn’t change regardless of whether it was song lyrics or name calling. It’s relevant in other ways, but I’m just focusing on the response by Jeffrey and UCLA here.

There’s a timeline on Twitter for the sequence of events. I didn’t realize Chae Campbell’s mother was talking too.

Timeline:
View attachment 3070

There is an awful lot of entitlement going on out there. I don’t think it’s acceptable to silence anyone who has experienced racism, but the expectation that UCLA admin is going to fully spill the beans on this whole situation is not good, especially since there is apparently a layer of mental health issues in here too.

But. I don’t buy for a second that a teenager with internet access doesn’t know that “singing along” is causing profound offense. Not after the last two years. I don’t care where you grew up or who your parents are, in 2022 you know it’s hurting people and you are choosing to do it anyway.

“Pledging to do better” and “listening and learning” means not accepting that excuse anymore. It also should mean that this specific issue is addressed in student and athlete orientations, and in team meetings, since it always comes up whenever use of slurs is talked about.

I think we agree that no one gets a pass for singing it. It is still offensive. And this:

“I don’t buy for a second that a teenager with internet access doesn’t know that “singing along” is causing profound offense. Not after the last two years. I don’t care where you grew up or who your parents are, in 2022 you know it’s hurting people and you are choosing to do it anyway.” Yes. That.

Last edited:
Jay Clark press conference abt 3:30

Last edited:
“According to team sources, the conflict began early in the fall when several gymnasts heard a teammate who is not Black sing lyrics that included the N-word. Two other teammates who heard about the incident and additional use of the N-word approached the gymnast who had sung the lyrics to help her understand why her teammates were offended and seek an apology.”

Do I understand correctly from the quote above that if the gymnast who sang the lyrics was black, it would have been no problem? Sorry English is not my first language.

“According to team sources, the conflict began early in the fall when several gymnasts heard a teammate who is not Black sing lyrics that included the N-word. Two other teammates who heard about the incident and additional use of the N-word approached the gymnast who had sung the lyrics to help her understand why her teammates were offended and seek an apology.”

Do I understand correctly from the quote above that if the gymnast who sang the lyrics was black, it would have been no problem? Sorry English is not my first language.
Yes.

Thanks, but isn’t that a sort of racism all in it’s own?
One person can do something that another person cannot based on the color of their skin?

Again, just asking, not blaming.

Reactions: Bob
But. I don’t buy for a second that a teenager with internet access doesn’t know that “singing along” is causing profound offense. Not after the last two years. I don’t care where you grew up or who your parents are, in 2022 you know it’s hurting people and you are choosing to do it anyway.
And this is exactly where the problem is and creates a sense of double standard.

Why are the lyrics accepted by a marginalized community if it is offensive to them if certain people sing the lyrics?

It shouldn’t be used at all then if it is going to be a problem.

Music is for signing along. We all do it.

Having it in music lyrics of popular songs puts it in gray area IMO.

Although, AJ could have easily apologized and not done it again, I can also see someone being stubborn about it and not see what the offense was.

She’s from Missouri and we know based on Fox News and other far right news outlets that there is a “war on whiteness.” People don’t want CRT being taught in schools/ protesting because of Fox News. Florida just advanced a law so that white people can’t be made to feel discomfort or guilt during lessons or training on discrimination. And various other happenings in the country.

Media is to blame for causing a lot of this, but I can also see how certain groups of people would see any issue in singing music lyrics.

Last edited:
Thanks, but isn’t that a sort of racism all in it’s own?
One person can do something that another person cannot based on the color of their skin?
This is a huge debate and question in the US currently.
There is a lot of race baiting in the news.

Your question is what many people are wondering and a question that is being stoked to flames by media on the left and right.

Why are the lyrics accepted by a marginalized community if it is offensive to them if certain people sing the lyrics?
Don’t suggest that any “marginalized community” is monolithic. There are a plethora of viewpoints held by Blacks in the US about the use of this word in particular and some very fraught conversations going on about it that those of us on the outside by and large are not privy to.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back