Tom Forster resigns

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Just wait until Chellsie makes a mistake and we’re all asking where has the love gone. She’s human so she will. Or people will look for something they can blow up into something.

You Know It GIF by MOODMAN

Has Alicia said whether she was a Nassar victim?
n

None of the girls on the 2008 Olympic Team seems to have been a victim. At least none of them said they were. I think Nastia is the only one who affirmatively said she was not, but I could be wrong about that

I mean I don’t like to play in hypotheticals when it comes to child abuse, but this Twitter and Reddit cancel-train for what ASac said in 2011 might not look very woke if Alicia came out as an abuse victim.

There may be a lot of egg on a lot of faces.

She clearly didn’t want to hear what Maroney was talking about. It seems she was sensitive to it. For what reason, we may never know. And Alicia doesn’t owe anyone an explanation for it.

Last edited:
There’s definitely a significant contingent of the gymternet that is waiting for some kind of white knight to rescue USAG while remaining entirely unsullied by the cultural/institutional problems within the organisation. I’m happy that Chellsie was offered the position and I think she was a great choice, but she’s not going to live up to people’s sky high expectations.

Last edited:
Nobody will.

People are more intolerant than ever of mistakes.

Last edited:
But has she learned from the incident? What training has she gone through? If her position was just about being about the strategy I wouldn’t have an issue with it. Her position is being in charge of the mental and physical well-being of every national team gymnast and there is really nothing that indicates she is qualified for that.

Her position is being in charge of the mental and physical well-being of every national team gymnast and there is really nothing that indicates she is qualified for that.
That is not her position.

What you are describing would pertain to the Chief of Athlete Wellness, not Sacramone. Though Sacramone would collaborate with the CoAW on plans and implement those plans, she isn’t directly responsible.

It’s in the USAG press release. If it is her job to implement those plans from the Chief of Wellness what training does she have? It’s not great to put someone in charge who did not report abuse. Even giving her the benefit of the doubt what training does she have? This isn’t a slight against Alicia. I don’t think many gymnasts have the experience necessary to be the lead person implementing those plans.
The Strategic Lead oversees strategic planning and guides the overall direction of the high performance program. Quinn will focus on the program as a whole and the overarching strategy for the National Team while also making the holistic development of individual athletes, physically and mentally, a top priority.
Alicia also mentions it in her quote
“It is an honor and a privilege to be joining the high performance team,” Quinn said. “I look forward to building personal relationships with all of our National Team athletes and coaches and continuing to cultivate a culture of excellence, where we build up our athletes physically, mentally and emotionally. I’m very excited about this opportunity and am eager to get to work.”

Last edited:
But has she learned from the incident? What training has she gone through?
I think these are reasonable questions to ask, and I hope that USAG did their due diligence during the hiring process, but I don’t think that USAG or Alicia need to provide the public with a laundry list of her qualifications/certifications. We haven’t seen her CV, and we don’t know all that she’s done in the past 10 years. I think it’s safe to assume that USAG made their selection based on much more information than is available to the average gym fan.

I was molested as a child because of that I don’t like to speculate on if people were abused or not which is why I think it is important for any adult who is in charge of the physical/mental well being of an athlete or any minor has proper training to deal with those situations.

Last edited:
I think these are reasonable questions to ask, and I hope that USAG did their due diligence during the hiring process, but I don’t think that USAG or Alicia need to provide the public with a laundry list of her qualifications/certifications. We haven’t seen her CV, and we don’t know all that she’s done in the past 10 years. I think it’s safe to assume that USAG made their selection based on much more information than is available to the average gym fan.
Chellsie has all of her qualifications in the press release. I think it should have been included in the press release what qualifies her to be in charge of the mental/physical well-being of athletes on the national team.

Why isn’t it mentioned in the press release? They mention her consulting career.
For Chellsie they mention various judging assignments she has had.

They are putting her in charge of athletes’ mental and physical well-being. There is nothing in the press release or in her background that shows she is qualified to be in charge of that. What is going to happen when an athlete is being abused goes to her? Is she going to act the same way she did with McKayla Maroney?

I was abused as a child at school and no teacher believed me until the same thing happened to another girl in my class from the same person. My parents later found out that because it was a private school no one went to the training they were supposed to go to. So yes it concerns me when USAG puts someone in charge of national team members’ physical and mental well-being with no qualifications and has doubted an abuse accusation in the past.

Last edited:
She is in charge of the direction of the program. She’s not even the one running the day-to-day camps, and it is in no way standard to put specific training programs people have done in a 200 word blurb about their qualifications. If nothing else, they specifically list “Quinn served on USA Gymnastics’ TOPS development staff from 2013-2014 and was head coach of TAG USA Gymnastics & Trampoline from 2014-2018”, meaning she will have had all the athlete safety and Safe Sport training USAG has. She also served on the athlete assistance fund in getting money out to survivors, if you want to go digging and do your own research. What you’re demanding they list simply isn’t standard for this kind of press announcement; if you feel they should be presenting the details publicly, then pose the question to USAG or Sacramone directly, or reach out to a professional journalist to have them the question.

Listing that she has coaching experience but not the specific trainings she did is exactly the same as listing Memmel is a judge but not listing all the judge training courses she did. The fact she has the certification to do those things means a certain level of training happened.

Last edited:
Chellsie’s bio is a lot more detailed than the bio is for Sacramone. So we are supposed to take safe sport training seriously during the same years USAG was covering up sexual abuse? Got it.

It is a minimum that can be assumed. Again, what you are asking for is simply not how these kinds of press releases are written–it’s highly unlikely this is a deliberate obsfucation, when what they released is the standard formula for this kind of announcement. If you feel they are hiding details, then you should be taking the questions to the organizations or to the people you believe are best able to get the answers and doing your own research, not demanding people on an internet forum justify it.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back