Tom Forster resigns

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They don’t actually say Alicia will be responsible for anyones physical or mental well-being. They do talk about development, which is… coaching.

I’m not asking anyone on this forum to justify anything. People are bringing up legitimate questions about Alicia and they are being accused of canceling her. I don’t remember anyone saying she shouldn’t commentate during the NCAA season or shouldn’t be involved in the sport. I don’t think its far fetch that someone who according to USAG is now in charge of the mental and physical well-being of athletes might not be the best fit since they told an abuse victim not to talk about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dex
How much do people change in 10 years? Quite a bit.
How much do people change as adults. Quite a bit.
What does parenthood do? It changes people.

What do you think Sacramone said to herself when she found out how wrong she was? I think she changed. Why don’t you give her a chance.

People do change and I hope Alicia has changed. I hope that she has told USAG what she will do differently this time around if it came up during her interview. I don’t have much faith in USAG for obvious reasons.

My biggest concern is that an athlete who might be in an abusive situation and goes to Alicia and she dismisses them. Unfournatley that has long-lasting effects for that athlete.

I get why you’d be wary of USAG, and at this point probably no one has good reason to trust them implicitly. Honestly her selection raised my eyebrows a bit, but while it’s true that we don’t know that Alicia is qualified for this role, we also don’t know that she isn’t.

FWIW I do think she should address the Maroney situation in some way. It’s out there on the public record now, and there’s a clear link between USAG’s toxic culture, Nassar’s abuse, and the reconceptualising of the HPC role. It would also be an opportunity for her to demonstrate how (or more pessimistically, if) she’s evolved since then.

How much do people change in 10 years? Quite a bit.
How much do people change as adults. Quite a bit.
What does parenthood do? It changes people.

What do you think Sacramone said to herself when she found out how wrong she was? I think she changed. Why don’t you give her a chance.
you are SO right . About all of this.

I did make assumptions. I assumed that the reason she cut off the talk in the car was because she couldn’t believe LN would do that. If I’m correct she found out how wrong she was by finding out what he did when we did.

I did make assumptions. I assumed that the reason she cut off the talk in the car was because she couldn’t believe LN would do that. If I’m correct she found out how wrong she was by finding out what he did when we did.
And that makes total sense. The way Nasser got away with what he was doing for so many years was that he was respected, trusted, even loved by so many people, including the athletes themselves. ASac’s response was understandable in that context. I can think of many people I know who I trust so much that I might react that way if someone accused them. Its very easy for us , now that the whole story is pretty much known, to look back and point fingers at people who initially defended him. But we are only doing that from the benefit of hindsight. One of the lessons learned from this horrid thing is that we should not put anyone into the category of beyond suspicion. And even if a given accusation seems outrageous, to take every accusation very seriously. But that is a lesson that likely each of us needed to learn. Not just ASac.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Maybe that wasn’t the reason she cut off the talk in the car. In which case, does she still need to “learn” from what she did?

Why else do you think she would? Can you list some reasons?

40.png
Tom Forster resigns Women’s Gymn
I mean I don’t like to play in hypotheticals when it comes to child abuse, but this Twitter and Reddit cancel-train for what ASac said in 2011 might not look very woke if Alicia came out as an abuse victim. There may be a lot of egg on a lot of faces. She clearly didn’t want to hear what Maroney was talking about. It seems she was sensitive to it. For what reason, we may never know. And Alicia doesn’t owe anyone an explanation for it.

Yes I read that. Do you think it’s a plus or a minus for her potential in her new position?

No one is trying to cancel Alicia. I don’t remember people saying Alicia shouldn’t have her commentating job or not be involved in gymnastics. She is now in a position of leadership and from the press release is basically the person in charge of the National Team and people want to make sure that if a gymnast comes to her that they are in an abusive situation it will not be dismissed.

All she has to say is something along the lines of that it is a positive step forward that every gymnast on the national team who is over the age of 18 is required to go through safe sport training so they know the steps they need to take if a younger gymnast comes to them about an abusive situation since she did not have the proper training when she was a gymnast on the national team to handle those situations. She can also add a line about how she would follow the proper steps if a gymnast came to her in her new role.

It would be appropriate to coordinate with whatever PR person and resources they have to put together a statement first considering how bungled their media statements have been in the past . Knowing how sensitive the situation is I’d consult with my new organization using whatever resources they provide before I made a peep because people are just waiting to pounce on anything said right now.

Yes, I agree. I should have included that in my post when I said she just needs to release a statement that she should consult with a communications professional and consult with a lawyer so she doesn’t say something that gets her sued.

from the press release is basically the person in charge of the National Team
I am not sure how you are inferring this.

Annie Heffernon is the trio’s direct supervisor and as VP is ultimately in charge of the national team.

Sacramone is essentially the “national team coach/head of delegation” as she will accompany the team to international meets, finalize line ups with team coaches, and be the face of the program as she will be the one interviewed. However, she doesn’t have free reign and rule over the team like you seem to imply. She will not be Marta 2.0 in any way.

At this point Sacramone needs to be giving a chance, she hasn’t even started her role yet and people are condemning her.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back