Tom Forster interview

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think he means no transitions from low to high facing both bars. Which is not true for the new CoP, as the clear hip circle hecht 1/2 is a D.

Cintia Rodrigues was training this awesome skill–stalder shoot with 1/1 turn to hang on HB-- in 2016 but I don’t see it in the CoP. I’d hope it would be an E, and I would think it would be from a toe-on as well.

He has actually got a point about the code and rules stifling creativity, same with what he said about dance on floor. We do see a lot less variety on bars than we did, because people respond to what the code wants.

What I don’t get is that Tom evidently understands the rules incentivising certain skills and behaviours in one context, ie routine construction. So the framework is there. But he doesn’t see how this would also be the case in another, ie execution deductions. He gets that gymnasts have eg stopped doing certain transitions because it’s not going to help their score, but hasn’t joined enough dots to realise that this is not a phenomena limited to bars transitions, that it also applies to dance elements. It’s a weird partial understanding, not joining the dots.

It’s sad that Tom doesn’t watch videos of international competitions and deduce what international judges are going to judge on. It’s lame to use Covid and lack of international competitions for US gymnasts as an excuse. It wasn’t just on the US judges to know what would be deducted. I know it’s beating a dead horse to say it again but 🤷‍♂️
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

Can you imagine being the NTC for the American WAG team saying “I just wish I had a better idea what my gymnasts might score”.

Wtf.

One of my favorite Michael Scott quotes : “it’s a secret. You wouldn’t understand it”

Last edited:
I’m glad Tom and i are on the same page on one thing: endless footage of gymnasts’ jawlines and them putting on tape is a terrible way to broadcast a sport.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back