The return of the Amanar

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

ArnoldRimmer

Defender
Reaction score
After a three year hiatus, these seem to be coming thick and fast now. Thought a reference thread would be useful, particularly as we have so little data on how they're being scored this quad.

Jade Carey competed hers at Trials, as we all saw the other week. Think she may have been the first to successfully land one in competition for a while?

Ruby Evans, onto a hard surface in training and looks fully rotated. The best I can remember seeing from her.

To the best of my knowledge she hasn't attempted it in competition since the splat in worlds prelims. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Alice Kinsella this week. Not fully round. It'll be interesting to see if she throws it in TFs. My guess would be not in prelims.

Have we got good recent footage of Andrade's? The focus recently seems to have been on the triple, which I don't think my nerves (or her knees) can take. Most recent Amanar training I could find was from a few months ago.

The consensus in this code has been that the D score isn't likely to be worth the extra risk over a DTY. However, we've not really had a chance to test that theory out. Hopefully with at least four, we should be able to test the hypothesis in Paris. I'm very curious to see what happens!

Well GB don’t have anything to lose. After all the injuries they are not expected to medal and they won’t be starting on VT if they make TF. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in TF, might as well go all out in case other teams make mistakes.

Well GB don’t have anything to lose. After all the injuries they are not expected to medal and they won’t be starting on VT if they make TF. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in TF, might as well go all out in case other teams make mistakes.
That was my thoughts, if they qualify to start on bars - they can decide if it's needed or pointless in the last rotation.

I think that Alice's is fully around ... enough. Totally creditable.
The experience of the last few quads would suggest it'll probably get credited, aye.

Agree with those who could see GB wanting her to do it in TFs if they vault last. It might be a long shot to qualify top 4, however. China, Brazil and Italy are all clearly better on paper. In the final itself, I'm not minded to rule anyone out bearing in mind what's happened over the last few years, but qualifying rounds seem to go more to form.

So far its
  1. Andrade
  2. Evans
  3. Kinsella
  4. Olsen
  5. Carey
Anyone else with an Amanar?

Off topic, why is it that we call it the Amanar and not 2.5 TY, when we use DTY and 1.5TY instead of Baitova and Shushunova.

Off topic, why is it that we call it the Amanar and not 2.5 TY, when we use DTY and 1.5TY instead of Baitova and Shushunova.
weren’t they retrospectively named? The problem if we go down that road is that it makes a yurchenko full a yurchenko II.

There is a bit of an amusing “thing” almost the ex soviet coaching diaspora. Because the names in English are never how they are pronounced in Slavic languages but when speaking English, you train yourself to use the English way. And yes, everyone feels awkward saying teh-katch-ehff.

I don't know if they were retroactively named.

But there was a male commentator, maybe British, that called the DTY a Baitova.

We do this for every skill though. It is so weird. Like Bhardwaj, Van Leeuwen on bars. Onodi and Yang Bo on beam. Shushunova, Memmel, Biles I, Dos Santos, Rudi on floor
But other skills we don't like its a double double off bars (Fabrichinova) Full in on floor, (Mukhina) triple double (Biles II), Full twisting DLO (Chusovitina), etc.

I don't know if they were retroactively named.

But there was a male commentator, maybe British, that called the DTY a Baitova.

We do this for every skill though. It is so weird. Like Bhardwaj, Van Leeuwen on bars. Onodi and Yang Bo on beam. Shushunova, Memmel, Biles I, Dos Santos, Rudi on floor
But other skills we don't like its a double double off bars (Fabrichinova) Full in on floor, (Mukhina) triple double (Biles II), Full twisting DLO (Chusovitina), etc.
Here’s a question. Who was Barani?

It’s a funny old world really. Pak Gyong Sil had a a brief and unremarkable gymnastics career. Almost nothing is known about her, other than that she is known to have died. Yet almost every elite gymnast in the last 20 years has competed her element. Simone Biles, multiple elements, career spanning over a decade, most decorated gymnast ever and one of the world’s most high profile athletes. Practically no one else has done any of her elements, or even trained them. So the named usage just doesn’t get embedded

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back