Suni Lee Thread; latest: confirms one more season at Auburn and then Olympic bid

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I mean, we all thought she was a longshot and if Riley had not been injured, i don’t think she would have gotten the +1 spot. And i don’t think she was too “in the running” for a main team spot. I guess if Jordan had been taken out by injury… to be fair to her, she did a pretty good job in her second run at cleaning up and maximizing. Similar to Aly, much better optimization (though she did seem to waste quite a bit of time on dead-end skills.)

Im sure utah fans were upset, she was pretty key to their lineup.

Last edited:
Only one person in this entire thread disagrees with Suni’s choice.
You mean only one person (@cuuf) disagrees with Suni’s choice to leave Auburn a year early?

I think that’s correct, and I also think we don’t need to make additional arguments against @cuuf as a result.

Right. “Accountable for her actions”?! She didn’t murder someone!
Um, what she did was even worse. Everyone knows that “Sinister Suni” gave Simone the twisties so that she could win an Olympic AA gold medal. Even the universe knew it and punished Suni by giving her a case of the twisties herself. And now she is leaving Auburn so she can go for another gold? The NERVE!

Last edited:
I don’t recall that on here. Are you thinking of Twitter/Reddit?
It was absolutely here lol there was a massive thread about it!

I’m not on reddit and wasn’t using Twitter before 2020.

I recall people criticising her as a person. Often justifiably so. Maybe there were groans about her (and her gymnastics) but don’t recall a great deal of criticism of her decision to finish college a year early to try out for Tokyo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can’t pull up the archives since it was on the old board.

Last edited:
I definitely remember people saying she was being unrealistic, especially when it was first announced. There was a lot of that. The general response was surprise that she got as close as she did to the 2019 worlds team. Is that what’s meant by complaining?

Oh, I was saying it was unrealistic, for SURE. That’s not at all the same as criticising her for “leaving her college team in the lurch”. She proved me and a lot of people wrong when she made the Tokyo team. A lot of things came together for her, not least injuries to many of the leading contenders.

Yes, they’re different things, and I remember loads of the one but not the other.

She’s always had a last one standing vibe to her. The Olympics being delayed complicated matters in that respect, but it always seemed like she’d be one of the ones who made it to the end and hit her events. What surprised me was how little depth the US ended up with, in both years actually. She genuinely could’ve been on both the 2019 world and 2021 main team.

My only hope is that the Suni Lee Auburn farewell tour doesn’t translate to massively inflated Auburn scores. Maybe I’m being too optimistic though 😅

Hopefully the prices for tickets aren’t massively inflated, I can handle the over scoring (remember when they tied Florida at 198.5 last year??? Lol) I’m well prepared.

Suni has said the reason she’s been out for the last few weeks is kidney problems.

Still wants to try for Paris.

Last edited:
Does not sound good for her. Something more significant than a kidney stone, something that needs to be managed. You do not want to mess around with your kidneys.

I believe she did, but while pure speculation (I know probably bad idea), signs don’t indicate it was a kidney stone with Suni. Perhaps a very severe one that required surgery (her posted video)?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back