Social Media Paris Athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

IMG_1470.jpeg

I wondered if Hezly's silence was because she was CLEARLY one of the people Mykayla was talking about in the original video, even mispronouncing her name repeatedly. I can see being uncomfortable if you knew you were, without a doubt, one of the initial targets.

I feel like - other than the original post, and the comments yesterday morning - the team aren't the ones perpetuating the drama. It's fans who are digging up Mykayla's history, posting, and fanning the flames. Jordan did put that "she blocked me" pic on Instagram yesterday, but I haven't seen the team say anything else about the post since.

I wondered if Hezly's silence was because she was CLEARLY one of the people Mykayla was talking about in the original video, even mispronouncing her name repeatedly. I can see being uncomfortable if you knew you were, without a doubt, one of the initial targets.

Hezly has never been that active on social media. She typically posts about once a month, maybe twice if there's a competition to Instagram. She barely uses Twitter at all.

Additionally, Skinner also blasted Suni, Jordan, Jade, Kayla for being NCAA athletes and doing NCAA at the same time. She bascially said you can't do college numbers and be the best elite gymnast. Which is not true. Suni left NCAA, Jordan and Kayla took a gap year, but Jade did NCAA AND made the Olympics.
Skinner's opinion on this has no relevance and more importantly, gymnast now know you CAN do NCAA and make the Olympics AND potentially earn a gold medal.

It is important that Skinner's words were called out. Whether Jordan or Suni go back to NCAA or not doesn't matter. But Jade will go back to OSU after the Olympics with another Olympic gold medal and maybe and additional medal from vault.

I doubt Suni returns to NCAA, but maybe she decides to and goes to Minnesota?

Skinner was called out when she initially made those ridculous, irrelevant statements. No need to make the team gold about her at all.

Also - she apologized - no matter how insincere this apology might have been - move on! I never expected better from Simone or Jordan but I'm still disappointed. And it's not a generational thing - as an oldish millenial I grew up with social media - it's my disappointment in the lack of maturity (at least in that regard) of those twenty-somethings who are on top of the world.

I feel like - other than the original post, and the comments yesterday morning - the team aren't the ones perpetuating the drama.
I mean, the comments from Wednesday morning were pretty significant drama perpetuation! There's no way Jordan didn't know exactly what she was doing there, and drama perpetuation is one of the kinder ways to describe it. Agree with you one can imagine Hezly being very uncomfortable here though. I know she doesn't do much social media anyway. But there's also a 12 year gap there, which is one of the reasons Skinner's comments were inappropriate in the first place. A child might not feel comfortable getting into anything with someone who's pushing 30.

Melnikova is so gracious. I’ve seen some awful comments about her recently, but she’s always showed such a good character towards her fellow athletes. I hope the gymnasts from the West who know her personally retain their positive impression and are not too affected by propaganda.

Melnikova is so gracious. I’ve seen some awful comments about her recently, but she’s always showed such a good character towards her fellow athletes. I hope the gymnasts from the West who know her personally retain their positive impression and are not too affected by propaganda.
There seems to be quite a bit of social media interaction between Melnikova the gymnasts she has competed against in the last quad. She’s very active on instagram, where as most of her team mates rarely update, and are more active on VK and Telegram. Which don’t require a VPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn’t so much that it’s selective, it’s exclusively American? None of the Italians looked liked they were going to a formal event and no one cares
Formal was not quite the best word (but fancy wasn't what I wanted either).

What I meant was, why are they expected to have every hair in place when they are sweating and competing? (I'm still not sure why people were upset about Gabby's hair in 2012.)

I really wish she'd cut out all the GOAT stuff. It's so childish and arrogant.

She wore the goat necklace for you, hope that helps!

As if what she has given to the sport in the last 11 years isn’t enough.

Or its tongue-in-cheek and she knows it is silly but is willing to play along because some fans want it?
I just don't see what the problem is. Its fans who used that designation for her. Its not like she just started calling herself the GOAT. And if she is not literally the GOAT she is for sure one of the GOATS. Whats the harm in fans acknowledging that and whats the harm in Simone celebrating her own greatness?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back