Social Media Paris Athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I love Stephen to pieces and felt like the only person wanting him to make the US team last month, but it took a very specific set of circumstances for him to make the team. It’s going to be a lot harder for him the closer it gets to LA.

I guess it depends on the USA's PH situation and if he can upgrade difficulty without sacrificing execution. Also if they can fill the other four spots with AAers or multi-eventers so there's room for a one-horse guy. And also if they're doing the same numbers game as they did this year to pick the team. Being the guy who can sit for 2½ hours during a competition and then nail the shit out of his one routine on the men's version of beam may go further in his favor.

Any athlete who has just won a medal and in the spotlight should be saying they are continuing, even if they aren't 100% sure of it.

A lot more money in endorsements for someone continuing to compete than one who just retired.

You can read Still I Rise and appreciate it and still not think that Simone's social media habit of replying to every criticism is needed, or find the goat jewelry very classy. Don't confuse ignorance with disagreement.

Social media is just filled with such stupid people. Why bring yourself down to their level when they criticize you, whether it's fair or unfair? This whole thing with letting Jonathan wear her medal was so STUPID--it's hers, she can do what she wants with it! It just seems odd and a waste of time and energy to argue with people on Twitter and instagram when you've just won AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL!

I wanted to say I'm sorry for the wording of my thoughts concerning Biles statement, after winning team final.

I'm not looking for confrontational situations, and I didn't mean to annoy people. Which means that I should've worded my ideas much differently, probably just not post them at all.

The reason things went this way is that I'm bitter, sad and scared.

For the past thirty years, western countries (not all the them to the same degree) have been busy transfering resources from the many to the few.

The main mean that has been used to achieve that, is war. But there are others, all of them orrible.

And to be able to do so, societies have to bend as a whole.

Consequences have to be deactivated, rules have to be breakable, standars have to be double and quadruple, the information business has to lie, values have to be redefined.

People that have economic and political power, are percieved as deserving of it. And the other way around. Masses unite behind supporting the ones that don't need it. This is dangerous for the way the vast majority of individuals.think of themseves, their rights, their possibilities.

When I read "I want this for Biles so badly", it worries me.

Biles had an incredible oppurtunity when she won her first gold olympic medal after Tokyo, and she could have made a useful statement. She could have said they were over the moon they had won, they just wished they could have had the chance to beat the former olympic champions.

She chose (and I am of the opinion she planned it all along), to speak about something completely inconsequential, she chose to think about the non existing pebble in her shoe, and forgot about substance. The olympics are not the stage for that. But as I said, we are redefinig values.

I see all things connected, tied together by the same thread. Which is why I feel invested, I feel what Biles does concerns me.

Out of sadness, worry and fear, for life not for the specific situation in isolation, I reacted badly. And I apologize.

I wanted to say I'm sorry for the wording of my thoughts concerning Biles statement, after winning team final.

I'm not looking for confrontational situations, and I didn't mean to annoy people. Which means that I should've worded my ideas much differently, probably just not post them at all.

For the past thirty years, western countries (not all the them to the same degree) have been busy transfering resources from the many to the few.

The main mean that has been used to achieve that, is war. But there are others, all of them orrible.

Consequences have to be deactivated, rules have to be breakable, standars have to be double and quadruple, the information business has to lie, values have to be redefined.

People that have economic and political power, are percieved as deserving of it. And the other way around. Masses unite behind supporting the ones that don't need it. This is dangerous for the way the vast majority of individuals.think of themseves, their rights, their possibilities.

Biles had an incredible oppurtunity when she won her first gold olympic medal after Tokyo, and she could have made a useful statement. She could have said they were over the moon they had won, they just wished they could have had the chance to beat the former olympic champions.

She chose (and I am of the opinion she planned it all along), to speak about something completely inconsequential, she chose to think about the non existing pebble in her shoe, and forgot about substance. The olympics are not the stage for that. But as I said, we are redefinig values.

I see all things connected, tied together by the same thread. Which is why I feel invested, I feel what Biles does concerns me.

Out of sadness, worry and fear, for life not for the specific situation in isolation, I reacted badly. And I apologize.
I’m not sure what you said that you feel the need to apologise for, but leave any politics at the door please. It doesn’t belong here

I have no idea what you are talking about

The "problem" with starting for a country you are only affiliated with on paper is the following: Let's take Finnegan who got her spot at 23 Worlds. She was able to come through the US system which offers, while extremely expensive, many advantages for young gymnasts. Besides great facilities and coaches, there is a flexibility with schooling that just does not exist in most countries. So Finnegan was able to use all the advantages of the US system and essentially took a spot from a gymnast who had to come up through her country's vastly inferior system. In any case, they both would have been mere participants. But - those spots often decide funding and one should be allowed to wonder how fair it is to let gymnasts change nationalities so easily to get an Olympic spot.

Do not get me wrong - this is not an attack on the gymnasts - they are well within their rights and would be stupid not to try to make use of that option.

The "problem" with starting for a country you are only affiliated with on paper is the following: Let's take Finnegan who got her spot at 23 Worlds. She was able to come through the US system which offers, while extremely expensive, many advantages for young gymnasts. Besides great facilities and coaches, there is a flexibility with schooling that just does not exist in most countries. So Finnegan was able to use all the advantages of the US system and essentially took a spot from a gymnast who had to come up through her country's vastly inferior system. In any case, they both would have been mere participants. But - those spots often decide funding and one should be allowed to wonder how fair it is to let gymnasts change nationalities so easily to get an Olympic spot.

Do not get me wrong - this is not an attack on the gymnasts - they are well within their rights and would be stupid not to try to make use of that option.
That is the one thing that makes me ambivalent about it. I can't judge anybody for taking that opportunity and I will always support them and hope they do well, but it is a thought in the back of my mind.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back