Social Media Paris Athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Oh No Wtf GIF by LilLetsOfficial
Just as long as we're wearing chucks with the pearls. 😸

Really don’t understand this mindset, it’s odd. People know almost nothing about her or any other athlete. to expend energy hating someone who you’ve (general you!) never met is really weird.
That’s one the reasons I’ve always found it so baffling that Simone pays attention to what random people have to say on the social media.

She wore the goat necklace for you, hope that helps!

As if what she has given to the sport in the last 11 years isn’t enough.
Maybe it's my understated New England upbringing but I don't think bragging about yourself is really that attractive. Just imo.

Then again, Simone is anything but understated. 😆

From a PR perspective, I also don't think Biles v. Skinner is a lingering storyline. It feels big because we're in the moment and in the gymnastics echo chamber.
It feels big because Biles waited the moment when the eyes of the world were on her, to state that she can't rise above the inconsequential.

I don’t think that’s a good thing at all. That’s not the kind of woman I want my daughters to look up to.

You can be assertive and put your point across without being deliberately antagonising and creating drama. It annoys people way more.
Indeed.

It was said here Biles had the right to address a stupid, unpleasant opinion.

She did not, however, address a bothering view. Evidently, that didn't matter to her.

She chose to stay silent for weeks.

She chose to wait until the shaming impact would be the greatest, and then stuck her middle finger at Skinner.

And to put that into context: Skinner was a mediocre elite gymnast, who never matured past her abusive upbring.
Frankly, if anything is going to move my compassion here, that would be her limits

Biles does not share the setiment, though.

Two days before putting a freacking goat on her neck, under the flag picture of the golden team, she did the youloseyouloseyoulose dance.

Biles had every right to do that.

I also have a right to see someone who doesn't know generosity, what she should rise above, what she should cherish. Someone that I don't think represents the values I would like to see at the Olympics. Someone that provoked so much cruel amusement.

yeah I don't understand this mindset of "I don't particularly like this" = hate. I have no hate for her, but it doesn't particularly endear me to her, tbh. I don't think we need more people feeding off/feeding into controversy in these times. But sure, she's a gymnast, we can't expect her to also be the biggest person I guess. But do understand that some of us look at this and go: ugh. And it's not hate moving us.

That’s one the reasons I’ve always found it so baffling that Simone pays attention to what random people have to say on the social media.
To be fair though we don'thave to read stuff about ouselves on Twiiter or wherever and we don't get the personal messages that she does , we can only speculate that she might get the occasional nasty message , the reality for her appears to be quite different .

Last edited:
Some of you have never read the poem "Still I Rise," and it shows...

Still I Rise
By Maya Angelou

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803-094936.png
    Screenshot_20240803-094936.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Ferlito: We should paint our skin Black...
Kirk and Vance: Biles is weak
Hurd: It's not all about you bitch
Skinner: Lazy gymnasts (many of which train at Simone's gym...)
Internet Troll: Simone and Gabby should do their hair

For all of this, for all the generations of scorn, disproportional scrutiny, body shaming, isolation, and racism that Black gymnasts around the world have faced in this sport, Biles is the inheritor of extra celebrations.

Celebrate, child, take all the bows you wish.

Attachments

• 5670547a-9cfb-4cdf-99fe-9aec60cda726_1179x1501.jpg
    5670547a-9cfb-4cdf-99fe-9aec60cda726_1179x1501.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Ferlito: We should paint our skin Black...
Kirk and Vance: Biles is weak
Hong: It's not all about you bitch
Skinner: Lazy gymnasts (many of which train at Simone's gym...)
Internet Troll: Simone and Gabby should do their hair

For all of this, for all the generations of scorn, disproportional scrutiny, body shaming, isolation, and racism that Black gymnasts around the world have faced in this sport, Biles is the inheritor of extra celebrations.

Celebrate, child, take all the bows you wish.
And what was it that Morgan Hurd said?

Kirk said worse. The conservative activist blasted the four-time Olympic gold medalist calling her "a selfish sociopath" and a "shame to the country".

I feel like we just should completely ignore that he said anything.

Because this is what his success is based on — being a big mouth that people pay attention to. Even posting about him, the way I am now, may actually be helping his "career".

Nastia opening the event with Valeri peeking from the side. (Eta: sorry for the crummy Facebook link, wasn't sure how to just grab a pic)

I really feel this sport was sadly very equal-opportunity-body shamy

just had a look at Aleah, Levi and Emma’s instagram and their excitement for Carlos is off the charts. They were in the stands watching him and Aleah’s video will make you sick, as she’s waving her arms around so much! They’ve faced a bit of criticism from certain corners of the gymnternet about “using” their dual nationality to go to the Olympics. But they are absolutely full integrated into the Filipino team.

Luisa Blanco and Shallon Olsen went out for dinner and sight seeing this evening

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back