Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yep, also think that since they didn’t announce her pulling out of beam at the same time as vt/ub means beam training must be going at least ok.

Yep, also think that since they didn’t announce her pulling out of beam at the same time as vt/ub means beam training must be going at least ok.
or she’s just waiting until about 24 hours before like she has the other times… I hope so though!

Last edited:
Maybe it would be good for her to modify her beam routine a d compete it but pull out of floor. Ending with a successful competition. (Success being that she was able to compete) might be good for her.

I forgot beam is on the last day so that does give her an extra day! Jennifer Gadriova is the 1st reserve on FX

I would love for Vanessa to finally get an olympic medal after her 4th olympics though

Last edited:
Can you explain to us exactly how twisties constitute a psychological problem?
I agree. I’m a trainer (among other things, LOL) and this seems to be a sensory motor integration and motor planning issue. That would make it neurological (something is misfiring), not psychological.

Last edited:
This USAG statement continues to be useless trash though. Zero mention of the twisties or it being a safety issue.

At least in the NBC broadcast they did point out that no other American will be replacing Simone except on vault since no other American qualified high enough to do so.

Thank you for this. I’ve been following gymnastics literally forever and even coached for many years and have never, ever heard the term “Twisties” before this week. Mental block I’ve heard but not specifically the word Twisties. I didn’t know this was a common thing

Last edited:
(Deleted because the comment was for a different thread)

I hope Suni pulls out another gold. I also kind of want a bronze for Melanie but that might be asking too much.

Last edited:
Based on what we know already, this decision makes a lot of sense.

Simone was never going to medal on bars even before all this, so not worth the risk. Vault is the event where the twisties have historically affected her worst. It offers the least scope to water down, potentially attracts the most criticism if she stays in and, as the main beneficiary will be her good friend, might perhaps sting the least.

Also, what’s the D score for her usual beam set but with a double tuck dismount?

Last edited:
A double tuck would have her at 6.2. She competed a double pike as a junior which bumps her a tenth.

Thanks MRR. I guess it’s possible to envisage a beam medal for Simone if she watered down then, Suni qualified 3rd with a 6.2 and 8 E score, and Simone’s execution is often better.

I had actually never heard the term before either but I’m not from an English speaking country…so…
I actually feel twisties sounds very childish and mental block (which it is) would be much better suited for a condition experienced by an Elite athlete.

Oh and also…the lack of outward devastation makes me believe even more that her condition not only was a result from but also saved her from a situation she was unable to deal with mentally (actual chance to lose AA/Team gold/incredible expextations and pressure). Simone seemed relieved. Here is also the suspicious silence from USAG…as a federation I would find it extremely strange if my no 1 athlete withdrew with such nonchalance from a team competition. It is one thing not to be more devastated for yourself but the lack of regret for her teammates is just not a good look. I don’t know why no PR person is on it yet, trying to spin the hell out of this whole mess.

I had actually never heard the term before either but I’m not from an English speaking country…so…
I actually feel twisties sounds very childish and mental block (which it is) would be much better suited for a condition experienced by an Elite athlete.
This. Also not from an English speaking country. It sounds like some sort of candy to me. I feel like the childish ring to the name doesn´t do justice to the severeness of the condition. But that could be a language thing.

I’m from an English speaking country and I think the name sounds like something funny and childish and non-serious.
Granted, I’ve never heard of it before though. But the name belies the seriousness.

A few weeks ago FIG uploaded a seminar about ‘lost skill syndrome’ (much more imposing name than the twisties lol). It’s 45 minutes long, I haven’t watched it yet so I’m not sure how insightful it is, but might be of interest to some.

At my (UK) trampolining clubs we called it lost move syndrome but I have also heard the twisties.

It’s wild that Forster’s decision to pick three vaulters has paid off in a way we never imagined. I wouldn’t have been massively surprised with a YDP fall or someone running out of their Amanar in prelims…but not this.

Because it is a condition caused by stress / anxiety. Remove those factors and the situation rights itself . Either by relearning the skills in a safe environment or by reducing the anxiety by easing off the pressure and slowly rebuilding the difficulty .

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back