Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

While I do think the yurchenko double pike is slightly undervalued, she is absolutely correct about her beam dismount

After the undervaluing of the Wevers on bars, it really seems re me that the FIG is just cranky that people are breaking the boxes of the open ended system they designed. Ellie Black’s 2.5 to double tuck (I think) not getting any extra connection value would be another example.

Simone’s pushing the boundaries more than most other athletes, but based on what we’ve seen I don’t think it’s personal for the most part. The FIG had a nice box of how hard things would be that they expected with the open code, and they don’t like anyone surpassing expectations.

To say nothing of all her other skills that are valued approximately as they should be.

I think had anyone done the double double beam dismount the FIG would have discouraged it and valued it low, the fact that Biles did it has nothing to do with it.

Liu Xuan did the one armed giant in the 90s and FIG undervalued it considerably to discourage her and others from doing it because of the danger in the skill.

Brenda Magana’s triple back off UB is also undervalued in comparison to other dismounts.

Gotta add the gif…

8527bc25cc185b6119bcce61a205fbdd2af0df93.gif

Agreed. And quite frankly, it’s not necessarily the skill I’d complain about being hosed on.

Isn’t that instagram from 2019 when she complained about the biles on beam?
Or is she bringing it up now?

Thanks for clarifying the context. That helps.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

Yeah, I agree she got hosed there, but as we all know, she’s not the first and certainly won’t be the last to be hosed.

Definitely. Many others have been and will be hosed.

I think they just don’t want people to be able to pile on difficulty in ways they don’t approve of in order to insulate themselves against errors despite the fact that, hey, that’s what the code you DESIGNED is meant to do, but whatever. It’s also partly the stupid letter value system because they pretty clearly don’t like skipping letters.

Though, since she’s been introducing so many extremely difficult new skills and is hypervisible I can see why after being completely hosed like with the dismount, she’d feel targeted even if I don’t necessarily agree that she was. I mean, didn’t they have a WTC meeting after 2018 Worlds where one of the things under discussion was them basically trying to figure out how to make it so she couldn’t win with two falls again?

Also of note, she talks about starting to train the YDP and says that they’ve put together an entire list of counterarguments if the FIG decided to hose her again. Since they didn’t challenge the rating, I assume they figured it was okay enough even if they’d wanted slightly higher. I think they might’ve been expecting a complete travesty under the guise of “safety concerns” like the double double dismount.

Last edited:
Hmm… I do think the YDP could be a smidge higher(at most .2)… Is it probable/possible for the FIG to rate it higher than the provisional SV that the US gave it?

and Tom is useless!

Last edited:
Hey, if she wanted it rated higher, she shouldn’t have done it so well and made it look so easy. If she was just barely getting it around (like a lot of the men’s vaults, tbh), they might have gone with a higher number.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back