Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Luckily I think that what’s required for Simone to return to gymnastics at all is the same thing that will insulate her from whatever the uninformed garbage discourse might be, and so either way, it will hopefully be immaterial to her gymnastics.

But I swear, I’ve seen like 5 people talk about how busy she will be “planning a wedding” and as a married person who planned his own wedding without help from others I truly cannot fathom how this type of thing factors into the time management of a pro athlete who surely will hire professionals to do this. ⁉️

Anyway, since we’re all just inventing scenarios I will just say for the record my hope for Paris is ABSOLUTE DOMINANCE for Simone in the all-around with golds on vault and floor. I hope she is not on top for Beam and Bars because there is certainly superior talent out there on those events, and my dream scenario involves the absolute best hitting their hardest routines to become Olympic champion. Meaning it’s still Simone all the way on vault, and as for floor, I’d be curious to see the extent to which her hypothetical future routine might accommodate the very notable changes this code has prompted… like could we get a 3-pass routine out of Simone with space saved for actual choreography? 🤔 I’d love to see it.

Last edited:
I would not love to see a 3-pass routine from Simone. What I would like to see from her is this:

Biles 2 + Shushunova
Moors + Shushunova 1/2
Whip + Double Layout full + Straight jump 1/1 to floor
Front Full through to Silivas
Triple Wolf turn
Switch split 1/1
Cat leap through to Split leap 3/2

8.0 start value, and jumping to the floor to get rid of landing deductions. Fly high and stump the landing.

Her legs would be over the line for sure, but as long as they don’t touch down it’s no deduction. 😁

Biles 2 + Shushunova
Moors + Shushunova 1/2
Whip + Double Layout full + Straight jump 1/1 to floor
Assuming you are referring to the third element shown under Element 1.108, both the acro + dance connections in the second and third passes would be ineligible for CV. Despite having different degrees of turn, a gymnast can only receive credit for one of these per the * designation in the element box. Overall, though, a clever potential solution indeed!

Last edited:
That’s something I hadn’t looked at, no Shushunova 1/2 then. The straight jump 1/1 to floor isn’t in the code right now, but I assume would have to be accepted as an A element (maybe they would group it into this same box though, hmm).

It’s very strange how a hop Shushunova 1/1 is currently grouped into the same A box, instead of in the B box with the jump Shushunova 1/1.

Maybe the plan then would be Shushunova 1/1 after the Moors, and then a regular A jump of some sort after the Double Layout full (Simone did show great control on that element in the past anyway, and should be able to cleanly land a regular jump connection there).

It’s bewildering how the Shushunova disappeared from floor routines, despite being a very useful tool for .1 bonus and avoiding landing deductions since the 2009 code…

There’s still a risk involved with mistiming the punch on the Shushunova and getting other deductions. We’ve seen it happen a couple of times with Ray and Dantzscher. And even simple jumps ended up costing gymnasts more than the bonus. Wieber twice in London. Lauren Mitchell, like, all the time after her world title.

I’d say the risk of deduction on the Shushunova is not more than the risk of what can be given for landings on acro. What’s going to happen most of the time is the Shushunova will be hit with a .1 form deduction, but remove a .1 landing deduction from the acro element, and then gain a net positive of .1 from the connection bonus.

Last edited:
It’s bewildering how the Shushunova disappeared from floor routines, despite being a very useful tool for .1 bonus and avoiding landing deductions since the 2009 code…
In the case of multiple uses of the Shushunova, this would not have worked for much of the time because from the 2001-2005 COP to the 2013-2016 COP, there was a 0.1 deduction for more than one dance element to prone. If a gymnast did go this route, I wonder if the WTC would bring the deduction back or put other restrictions into the COP.

Last edited:
from the 2001-2005 COP to the 2013-2016 COP, there was a 0.1 deduction for more than one dance element to prone. If a gymnast did go this route, I wonder if the WTC would bring the deduction back or put other restrictions into the COP.
Possibly yeah, but having 1 Shushunova should be very common in floor routines. They would have to outright remove the CV for “A dance elements to prone” if they don’t like it being used. Even then, it still might be useful to avoid a landing deduction and how hard it can be on the body to try sticking a difficult acro element.

I wish the controlled lunge on landing was still allowed for 1 acro element in a routine. It’s nice to have variety.

Last edited:
I wonder whether a rebound from an E+ double salto to a shush is a no-no simply because it’s a huge OOB risk, huge risk of over or undercooking it and landing awkwardly in prone and also super hard on the achilles. It’s a great idea in theory but it’s not the same as shushing out of a rudi.

It should only require the natural bounce out of the acro to do a Shush (unlike trying to connect a salto); I’d think that connection should be removing pressure on the landing joints as compared to trying to stick the acro skill. It may take a little bit of practice to bounce straight up (or forward) though, if room is needed to not go out of bounds to utilize the bounce out. Also depends on how perfectly someone is trying to do it. Might require more of a punch to do a 0-deduction Shush, but that is unnecessary to benefit from the skill.

I would worry about the rebounds on skills that might already be ankle crunchers. We know that Simone invented the Biles 1 to crunch ankles less. Rebounding out of a Moors seems like a recipe for ouch.

There’s already “rebound” naturally happening out of acro though - let’s look at Simone doing a Moors in 2018:

With that big hop back on the landing, she could have instead tilted her body forward and straddled the legs and dropped to the floor. Voila, now she’s doing a connection, getting .1 bonus and removing the .3 landing hop. Instead of trying to stick, you can plan to use the momentum of the landing that is naturally going to bounce you anyway if you don’t lock your knees.

You don’t even need much momentum. You can literally stand on the floor stationary and just fall forward and straddle your legs (break dancers do this all the time, on hard floors), and I’m pretty sure they would have to call it a Shushunova.

It is the tilting forward that would concern me. It puts a lot more pressure on the ankles than rebounding backwards. And doing the skill without rebound never looks good (which I know well, I was competing in the era where everyone did them, lol).

Last edited:
When she was still playing around with passes, Simone tried the Chuso + Split jump and it just wasn’t great.

When she was still playing around with passes, Simone tried the Chuso + Split jump and it just wasn’t great.
Oh, I think this was a good connection! Just a .1 off on the split. Better looking than a stag connection, although that one is easier to abuse in the code. Wolf jump out of acro also feels like it should have been a thing, but I can’t recall anyone ever doing it. Double Layout + Wolf Jump these days sounds quite code friendly.
It is the tilting forward that would concern me. It puts a lot more pressure on the ankles than rebounding backwards.
The rebound is still backwards. You just tilt forward in the air as you’re doing it and then land on the ground.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back