Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Grace also generally underperformed from where she was at podium training too, right?

Yeah, Grace had the “meet” of her life in podium training.

Something I never realized: Grace’s AA score from prelims to TF was a virtual tie (55.165 to 55.166).

If you deduct Chiles’ scores on bars and beam and Lee’s floor, plus Biles’ balked vault then add in Biles’ prelim scores in place the result is that the US team scores 169.230 to Russia’s 169.528 so a difference if .298 so Biles’ qualification performances would not be enough for team gold.

This also means that had Chiles not fallen on floor the US would have won.

Chiles had a 13.566 in qualifications and scored 1.866 less in finals.

I would also say that after vault, Lee, Chiles, and McCallum had to respond immediately to what was likely a shocking moment of Biles balking and the aftermath. They had to refocus right away, but there was likely some uncertainty right after Biles left and of course Chiles finding out she had to do bars and beam.

I know that Jordan fell on floor but had she been focused solely on floor exercise and not having had to do bars and beam, which she was not expecting if her routine would have been different.

As it was, the US team knew gold was lost after vault and they they had no chance at anything but silver at that point. Even though Russia did make it interesting after beam falls.
Mmm, when Jordan stepped up on floor there were only about six tenths in it. A couple of staggered landings from Russia could still have lost them the gold. The US did have a good showing on bars and particularly beam, they were only a couple of tenths behind China on the latter which speaks for itself. It’s interesting, the routines with errors were the planned ones. The surprise ones were pretty good as standalone exercises and fabulous in the circumstances.
Yes but a 58 with a prelims Jordan on floor?

My point is that, but for Simone’s withdrawal, the US would have lost the team title only because Jordan bombed floor.
Yes, 58 if Jordan had stayed on her feet. So it depends which Simone had turned up. I fully agree though, that would have been the narrative. It makes more sense as an explanation than saying the US would have won this if Simone got 60.5, but she only beat every other AAer by one whole point today so silver it was.

We had a 6 person panel fully judge USA podium training. We came out at a 60.25 for Simone. The scores we gave her in prelims would have given her 5 golds and a bronze on bars. And it really was a pretty much lights out meet. Must be so frustrating for her. People assume that she showed up to Tokyo and didn’t deliver - but she was there and she had the goods. The Landi’s put her on that plane in insane shape.

It still irritates me to think that USA should have been leading after Russia’s two beam falls but because of McCallum and Chiles’s routine construction, they still trailed by almost a point.

It still irritates me to think that USA should have been leading after Russia’s two beam falls but because of McCallum and Chiles’s routine construction, they still trailed by almost a point.
This is true, but they were in a huge hole from Biles’ vault. 1.700 is nearly 2 falls (assuming Biles would get another 15.4)

Mmm, when Jordan stepped up on floor there were only about six tenths in it.
After Russia had two beam falls, which was shocking considering how they strong they looked up to that point. But I agree the USA bars and beam was as good as it could be, it could have been a bit better, but it wasn’t catastrophic. My point was that after vault EVERYONE (including us here and likely the trio) thought gold was not going to happen.
It didn’t help that floor, which was an advantage for the US in that quad, was suddenly a disadvantage with judges using a stricter pen than they were used to.

Doug and I both thought they were fighting for silver after vault and then became excited that Russia opened the door with their falls off beam.

It didn’t help that floor, which was an advantage for the US in that quad, was suddenly a disadvantage with judges using a stricter pen than they were used to.
I don’t think this is all the way true. Tokyo had Suni (who was barely hanging on), Jordan who was untested for years in FIG competition, and McCallum who seemed out of it the whole time. McCallum in 2018 only scored a few tenths higher than she did in Tokyo, and she probably had more errors in her Tokyo FX routines.

And in 2019 they had Jade + Suni and Simone at their competitive best on FX. 2018 had Morgan Hurd who also maxed out at high 13’s. Russia simply got their shit together on FX at the right time and closed the gap on their own accord.

The Landis set Jordan up for failure tbh. I’m glad they’ve made some changes but more still need to be made in 2022.

Last edited:
In what way did the Landis set Jordan up to fail?
The dance elements were a disaster in Tokyo. She was losing .3 body shapes on everything, several precision deductions for things that weren’t fully rotated. The combo pass wasn’t working all year. It was on the edge of disaster so many times in domestic competition. Then she was struggling with it in Tokyo and we saw what happened in the conclusion.

The only two US athletes that left with gold medals were the ones who modified their routines on their own, no thanks to Tom & co who should’ve told several of them to change their routines.

I think it was mentioned up thread about a possible comeback, but does anyone know when her wedding is? I’ve only heard 2023. I’m not saying she couldn’t, but it’s unreasonable to expect her to train until after the wedding. And say she’s a June bride (just my speculation I have no knowledge) that gives her about a year. It seems doable… but still.

And just to say if she does comeback and she’s not throwing all her tricks, she’s going to need to learn to control her landings because without the huge d score advantage to prop up the score, it could be interesting.

it’s unreasonable to expect her to train until after the wedding
Why? Wedding organisation shouldn’t be a full time job. I guess that’s IMHO but it certainly doesn’t need to be.

She probably has a very experienced planner doing everything for her for free (in exchange for forever being able to say “I did Simone Biles’ wedding”)

Unreasonable may not have been the right word.
I agree it doesn’t need to be a full job, and it’s probably not be a full-time job for wedding planning, and she probably does have a wedding planner or two, depending on the scale of the event, but she might want to be more involved with the planning. She also might not have the focus/desire to be in the gym while doing other things right now. If she’s still recovering mentally, she might not want to be there.

And let’s be real, the expectations if she does come back will be unreasonable — they’ll want to see the triple double, the yurchenko double pike, and they’ll expect her to blow the field out every time too. And I’d be surprised based on some of the hate before about her commitment to the team. I was shocked to see a segment that felt she just quit on the team, and I don’t expect that segment to be quiet leading up to Paris either.

I hope she’s happy regardless of what she decides, and she does what she needs for herself and no one else.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back