Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

In view of the above, the IOC Executive Board (EB) today decided that:
  1. The Russian Olympic Committee is suspended with immediate effect until further notice.
  2. The suspension has the following consequences:
  3. The Russian Olympic Committee is no longer entitled to operate as a National Olympic Committee, as defined in the Olympic Charter, and cannot receive any funding from the Olympic Movement.
  4. As stated in the , which remain fully in place, the IOC reserves the right to decide about the participation of individual neutral athletes with a Russian passport in the Olympic Games Paris 2024 and the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026 at the appropriate time.
The IOC EB also reserves the right to take any further decision or measure depending on the development of this situation.
This does not seem to change anything. The gymnasts could still compete right?

This does not seem to change anything. The gymnasts could still compete right?
It’s still yet to be confirmed by the IOC, nothing has changed in that respect. The suspension of the ROC isn’t really indicative of the fate of Russian athletes since they would be competing as neutrals and the ROC, which is deeply attached to the Putin regime, would have no role in that process.

Suspending the Olympic committee is a pretty big step.
Sure, but they even left the door open for athletes to qualify independently of the Olympic committee, right? Then I expect the vast majority of Russian athletes who would have qualified as such are going to be there. I mean, what do you have to do to NOT be allowed? Bomb an apartment block in Odessa?

The IOC doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. It’s a suspension in name only.

Sure, but they even left the door open for athletes to qualify independently of the Olympic committee, right? Then I expect the vast majority of Russian athletes who would have qualified as such are going to be there. I mean, what do you have to do to NOT be allowed? Bomb an apartment block in Odessa?

The IOC doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. It’s a suspension in name only.
The athletes would always be qualifying independently of the Olympic committee. Neutral athletes don’t represent an Olympic committee

The athletes would always be qualifying independently of the Olympic committee. Neutral athletes don’t represent an Olympic committee
Sure, I get that. But what it does is ban russian athletes without banning russian athletes. Looking like you’re doing something when you’re not. I find that to be rather offensive, like does the IOC think we’re all stupid and can’t see that they’re actually doing nothing?

But what it does is ban russian athletes without banning russian athletes
There was never going to be an all out ban on Russian athletes. There is a ban on Russian athletes and officials who have played an active role in supporting military action in Ukraine. The ROC has only been suspended due to its own actions involving sports governance in eastern Ukraine, not as punishment for the government’s foreign policy.

Some Belarusians considered neutral by FIG: https://www.gymnastics.sport/site/rules/ain_view.php
That would appear to be everyone from Belarus that would have FIG licence for Olympic disciplines. Alina Harnasko is significant, gold medal contender.

Definitely a couple of surprising names, given some of their social media content. But as I’ve said for months, I doubt the FIG has the inclination nor resources to investigate social media content.

There's not a single Russian on the list. Is that because FIG has not gotten around to that? that no Russians have applied? or that some may have applied and then didn't qualify?

There's not a single Russian on the list. Is that because FIG has not gotten around to that? that no Russians have applied? or that some may have applied and then didn't qualify?
I don’t believe anyone has applied from Russia. They have to apply through the RGF, it’s not up to the individuals.

Currently there are no Russian athletes with FIG licences, and the only judges that remain registered are those who hold official positions within the FIG

Last edited:
how long does it take to get an fig license. I thought it took months
Do you mean under normal circumstances? A week? Only as long as it takes to submit digital copies of the athlete‘s identification documents and the FIG to perform the admin tasks.

In the case of switching nationality, takes a bit longer, since there are additional documents to submit that you are a citizen of the country and either you have a family link to the country, or are living there on a full time basis. The FIG can accept the switch or they can accept with conditions. If they thought the switch was spurious, not genuine or in some way using loopholes to gain advantage, they do have the right to stipulate conditions such as X number of months before you can compete for new country. There is currently a blanket stipulation for athletes who wish to switch from Russia and Belarus to another country.

If the switch is not supported by your current country then there is a waiting period that must be observed before a new licence can be issued. However I believe this only applies if the athlete has a current licens. In a situation where the licence has lapsed and the gymnast now wants to represent a different country, the gymnastics federation of that country can just apply as they would for any other athlete.

I switched on the television a few minutes early for the rhythmic gymnastics gala in honour of victory day (no really, that’s its actual title) and caught the tail end of the Judo documentary that is on before it. Because, of course it is.

Reactions: JDB
I think, were I to describe what it’s like living in Russia, it is turning on the television on a Sunday evening to watch male rhythmic gymnasts wearing military attire, perform a gala routine, accompanied by a full symphony orchestra and opera singers.

Victory Day.....what Americans call Victory in Europe Day, celebrating the end of WWII?
Yes. It’s always been quite a big deal here, with a military parade and is a major public holiday.
But in the last couple of years, the narrative has focussed on how we are still fighting Nazis in Ukraine.

There is now a group ribbon routine, representing the liberation of Polish villages, accompanied by the Red army choir

Irina Viner bestowing some sort of blessing on Dina and Arina Averina. They are introduced as gold and bronze Olympic medalists
IMG_5799.jpeg

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back