Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What do you mean by army contract? Because I’m not aware of any female gymnasts being contracted to the military. The only one I’ve ever been aware of was Zamo. Certainly it wouldn’t apply to anyone under the age of 18

Last edited:
Since the system there is different and someone might be paid and sponsored by an army club I assumed they are under a contract. I thought the only way you receive money in Russia for training is through a sponsorship or a contract. Like, are any junior anthletes have associations with groups like “the young Army” get paid and have contractual obligations? How does that work?

Last edited:
What I’m getting at is whether or not they have associations with the military that might place them under sanctions?

The situation seems murky as to who might be able to compete internationally in the future. But if, as you say, they typically do not receive money or contract with a military organization under the age of 18, these juniors wouldn’t have that issue. If you go by the provisions in the statement made by the IOC.

I’m trying to clarify by editing my question.

And I moved this is the war effects thread to keep information where it belongs.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand.

Regarding sanctions, no official criteria has been set out regarding what constitutes “supporting the war”. But I would be 99.9% certain that it will only apply to those with actual military contracts. It won’t apply to social media posts or appearing at government sponsored events. The youth army is not a branch of the military, it’s a pseudo military youth organisation that’s funded via the ministry of defence and its only function is camping trips and indoctrination. National guard and reservists are branches of the military however, so I would expect members of those organisations to be banned from international competition. That includes a number of the senior male gymnasts, but none of the females.

Regarding the funding of gymnasts, your information is completely wrong. No athlete is sponsored by the military. The Army Sports Club does run several sports schools and employ the staff. Training is free or heavily subsidised. It exists in name only, as do the other sports organisations (Dinamo, trade union etc). It’s the coaching staff that’s employed by these organisations, not the athletes.

Last edited:
This is a cut and paste from a Wikipedia page about Jesse Owens:

A few months before his death, Owens had unsuccessfully tried to convince President Jimmy Carter to withdraw his demand that the United States boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics in protest of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. He argued that the Olympic ideal was supposed to be observed as a time-out from war and that it was above politics.

It’s quite difficult to convey just how different things are done here when it comes to just about everything and I am conscious of not making long posts that most will find very boring. In addition, I don’t want to come across as being positive about how sports are organised in Russia since I get the impression that it would not be taken well.

The article states the Asian Games is part of Olympic qualification in some sports (not gymnastics). And this arrangement is China’s way of engaging with Russia & Belarus without upsetting the rest of Asia.

IMG_7857

View attachment 9070

In view of the above, the IOC Executive Board (EB) today decided that:
  1. The Russian Olympic Committee is suspended with immediate effect until further notice.
  2. The suspension has the following consequences:
  3. The Russian Olympic Committee is no longer entitled to operate as a National Olympic Committee, as defined in the Olympic Charter, and cannot receive any funding from the Olympic Movement.
  4. As stated in the IOC’s position and recommendations of 28 March 2023, which remain fully in place, the IOC reserves the right to decide about the participation of individual neutral athletes with a Russian passport in the Olympic Games Paris 2024 and the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026 at the appropriate time.
The IOC EB also reserves the right to take any further decision or measure depending on the development of this situation.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back