Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It is though. It’s like cadets. We haven’t yet got to the stage where Russia is enlisting children. I’m not in any way trying to justify his involvement, but from an IOC perspective, he wouldn’t be considered military personnel where as Dalaloyan and Ablyazin are. The point I’m making is that the deciding who can and cannot compete as a neutral athlete is not going to be clear cut.

members of the military is very clear
Many members of the Russian military are conscripted and forced to fight against their will irrespective of whether they support the war.

I don’t mean to be flogging a dead horse but… this:

Isn’t a good look…

If you are in the military, you are automatically banned. Even if you’re a conscript who doesn’t support what’s happening. This is irrelevant though since elite athletes are exempt from conscription

Dd you see this on gymnovosti
No matter whether the Asian Championships path pans out for Russia, other criteria set by the IOC might effectively disqualify a large number of the national team gymnasts. First, athletes who are actively support the war are supposed to be ineligible and in other statements, the IOC clarified that wearing the Z symbol or posting it on social media could be considered active support of the war. Besides the infamous case of Ivan Kuliak, multiple Russian gymnasts appeared at public events with the Z symbol or posted it on social media. Vladislava Urazova and Viktoria Listunova have even been officially sanctioned by Ukraine for appearing at a pro-war rally with the Z symbol on their chest. There were even cases of material support for the war, for example, the Tokyo MAG team reportedly donated a drone to Russian soldiers. Nikita Nagorny, the head of the Young Army, has promoted multiple donation drives for the army.

Another criteria which can potentially make multiple athletes ineligible is “Athletes who are contracted to the Russian or Belarusian military or national security agencies cannot compete. Support personnel who are contracted to the Russian or Belarusian military or national security agencies cannot be entered”. Per the current interpretation, it includes not only athletes who are serving in the army or law enforcement but also those who compete for CSKA and Dynamo sports clubs. CSKA Club is affiliated with the military and Dynamo Club is affiliated with the law enforcement, so athletes who compete for these clubs are directly funded by military or law enforcement even when they do not have any rank. This would include gymnasts like Angelina Melnikova (CSKA), Anastasia Ilyankova (Dynamo), Yana Vorona (Dynamo), Diana Kustova (Dynamo) and so on.

I would largely ignore this article. It supposes many things that are no more than rumour. The IOC has not yet confirmed any details of what the criteria will be for individual Russian athletes to compete.

I don’t think Dalaloyan needs to worry about which sports organisation he belongs to, since being an active national guard member is far more likely to disqualify him.

Much of this has been pretty well documented-- see the drone donation thing for example. If the IOC overlooked that, I would be completely shocked.

There’s a reasonably good chance they will overlook that. It’s unconfirmed. What they won’t overlook is Ablyazin and Dalaloyan being enlisted in the national guard

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back